Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-08-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Company policies on e-ink fading in sun when paging

Came across this statement by Irex:

http://support.irexnet.com/index.php...kbarticleid=65

Which claims it's natural --- I seem to recall a statement in a thread here by a representative of a different company who said they treat it as a defect....

It'd be nice if we could gather any official statements on this from device manufacturers so people would know in advance.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
For a long time iRex iLiads used the pre-Vizplex EInk film, which did fade in the Sun. So I think their June 2008 response (presumably about Vizplex EInk screens) is based on what they had to say over and over about the iLiad.

Vizplex film is not supposed to fade, but there have been cases where it does. It is hard to know what fraction of Vizplex EInk screens fade, because most people don't read in the Sun.

Amazon replaces new Kindles if they fade in the Sun. I don't know what they would do if you took 6 months (say) to notice the fading. The fact that replacement works, i.e. you will typically get a 2nd Kindle that does not fade, demonstrates that iRex is wrong. It is not "natural" for Vizplex to fade, but rather it is a manufacturing defect.

Last edited by wallcraft; 05-08-2010 at 12:22 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
ziphnor
Enthusiast
ziphnor began at the beginning.

Device: none
I had no problems getting my gf's Bebook Neo replaced. I wasnt even demanding a replacement, i simply described the problem and was immediately issued an RMA number.

In my case the Neo's display would look like a poorly faxed page (or something printed from a printer running out of ink/toner) when changing pages in sunlight.
ziphnor is offline   Reply With Quote