Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-25-2009, 08:44 AM   #1
wayner
Connoisseur
wayner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 in Canada, iPad wifi only
Why wireless only for content delivery?

I just bought a Kindle as I live in Canada and they have just been released here. Given the higher wireless rates in Canada there are a bunch of differences between Canada and the US. For example, newspapers and mags for Canada have text only - no graphics. And content such as books are more expensive - presumably since Amazon has to pay the Wirelesss network provider(s) more.

Why doesn't Amazon offer document deliver via USB connection to your PC? Then they could offer all of the graphics for newspapers/mags and they could charge less for other content. You have to charge your Kindle anyhow and I wouldn't mind if I just plugged it into my PC every night and then unplugged it when I leave for work in the morning. This may not totally fit into Amazon's vision for the Kindle but that vision isn't being realized today in many markets outside of the US where the devices are semi-crippled (no graphics, no web browser, no free document delivery via email to yourname@kindle.com).

Since I found Calibre I may be essentially doing this process and not bothering subscribing to content via Kindle but using the Calibre method instead which will require a nightly plugin if I want daily newspapers.
wayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:59 AM   #2
ratflinger
Enthusiast
ratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: K3, Touch, Paperwhite 3G
?? Are the international versions different? I am plugged into the USB port right now, downloaded a book & the SW update.
ratflinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
wayner
Connoisseur

But I don't think subscriptions get downloaded by any way other than the wireless network - so even if I have my Kindle plugged into the PC my daily newspaper update will come over the wireless network. The same thing with using the Kindle store - I could be wrong but I seem to recall that if you shut the wireless radio off then you can't access the Kindle store.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:44 PM   #4
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
While we're at it why not put in WIFI and not even HAVE to use a cable? Would eliminate a LOT of the cost to Amazon for Whispernet.

I seem to recall a post about RE-enabling USB networking so that the Kindle CAN receive updates via a connected PC. I think it was a boon to people outside the US using a non international Kindle. I can't find it though.

EDIT: It's here and DX only: http://www.flixxy.com/worlds-luckies...-inspector.htm

Last edited by Rootman; 11-25-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
But I don't think subscriptions get downloaded by any way other than the wireless network - so even if I have my Kindle plugged into the PC my daily newspaper update will come over the wireless network. The same thing with using the Kindle store - I could be wrong but I seem to recall that if you shut the wireless radio off then you can't access the Kindle store.
You can download your subscriptions to your computer from the "Manage Your Kindle" page then transfer them to your Kindle. There are people in areas where Whispernet does not reach so there is always a download to computer option.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
While we're at it why not put in WIFI and not even HAVE to use a cable? Would eliminate a LOT of the cost to Amazon for Whispernet.

I seem to recall a post about RE-enabling USB networking so that the Kindle CAN receive updates via a connected PC. I think it was a boon to people outside the US using a non international Kindle. I can't find it though.
one of the reasons the Kindle is as popular as it is, is that it is not necessarily tied to a computer. you can do everything you need to do as a reader (not a computer hacker/guru/genius) without being around a computer at all. when I first got my first Kindle I spent a couple of months living and teaching skiing on a mountain without computer access. shortly thereafter I was working at a government job and could not plug anything USB related into my computer, nor could I download any files to that computer. I didn't have internet access where I was living because of expense (I was maintaining 2 homes at the time). going to internet cafes or the library would not have been the solution. I can also see the potential of retired RVers, boat live aboards, many areas in Wyoming, New Mexico and Arizona and numerous other instances of limited computer access making the Kindle the perfect answer for many many people.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
one of the reasons the Kindle is as popular as it is, is that it is not necessarily tied to a computer. you can do everything you need to do as a reader (not a computer hacker/guru/genius) without being around a computer at all. . .
Sure BUT why not offer BOTH? Separate WIFI and phone networking, shut off / turn on which ever you want or need. Upoad books or music directly from a PC wirelessly.

Just saying it would of made the Kindle a much more versatile device.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:21 PM   #8
wayner
Connoisseur

Quote:
Sure BUT why not offer BOTH? Separate WIFI and phone networking, shut off / turn on which ever you want or need. Upoad books or music directly from a PC wirelessly.
I agree - especially for those of us outside of the US where functionality of the Kindle is restricted due to the high cost of wireless network.

But the one downside to running with wifi turned on would be the battery drain - my Blackberry has wifi, as well as 3G, and if I turn the wifi on the battery drains twice as quickly.

But it would be nice if I could get graphics in newspapers and magazine and I am willing to download to my PC to get them.

Last edited by wayner; 11-25-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:34 PM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:

Just saying it would of made the Kindle a much more versatile device.
but we CAN do that!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:27 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Given the higher wireless rates in Canada there are a bunch of differences between Canada and the US. For example, newspapers and mags for Canada have text only - no graphics.
I'm pretty sure that is the way it is in the U.S. too... and has been from the start.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong about this.... since I have never actually subscribed to anything.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:35 PM   #11
Rootman
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
but we CAN do that!
Well I guess through the email interface, I would just like to sync Calibre and Kindle over my Wifi without having to drag out my cable, not to mention browse the web and download books at a far faster rate. I downloaded about 15 books to Kindle for PC and had them a lot faster than my Kindle device.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:48 PM   #12
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
US Subscriptions don't have graphics, either.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:32 PM   #13
wayner
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
US Subscriptions don't have graphics, either.
I stand corrected - I thought that the WSJ on Kindle had their "pencil drawings" or whatever they are called.