Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-17-2011, 11:53 PM   #136
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I just wanted to add that Bluefire is the app that shifts some of my epubs to the right. The margin is simply larger on the left than the right. It also won't display the time, which is one of my requirements-I need to see time on any ereader I use.

MegaReader, I don't understand why you can only adjust the left-right margins, but not the top and bottom. I know these seem like minor nit-picks, but I swear.. i just want my epub reader to do a few simple things, and do them right, and nothing quite does it.

Last edited by seajewel; 10-18-2011 at 03:04 AM.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:22 AM   #137
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
@ kyteflyer I would appreciate it very much if you or anyone else with megreader or quickreader could test the app with the attached file. I would like to see if they support bold and italic.

Thank You to jackie_w for posting this file earlier.
Unfortunately, MegaReader displays it all as regular text.
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2011, 01:21 AM   #138
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Thanks Philantrop. I thought I had read somewhere that quickreader and megareader don't support bold and italic and this proves it.
Stanza and Bluefire display the test epub perfectly.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:56 AM   #139
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
That depends on whether Apple actually released that API to 3rd party developers-I remember when iBooks was first released, it was the only app that had true in-app brightness control. Hopefully Apple has released that private API, so he can implement it!
Seems like Apple has done exactly that. Funny you should link to Marco's comment on brightness control, as part of his latest version announcement is that "Instapaper now supports true hardware brightness control." Lots of other nice new features as well.

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:09 AM   #140
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
@ kyteflyer I would appreciate it very much if you or anyone else with megreader or quickreader could test the app with the attached file. I would like to see if they support bold and italic.

Thank You to jackie_w for posting this file earlier.
I'd love to test it out but sadly I can't, because Megareader will not talk to calibre for me. I'm determined to beat it into submission but so far its just refusing to respond.

I've heard others say that bold and italics are not respected by megareader and I must say that the couple of books I have begun to read dont even have chapter headings bolded, its the same font and style... so it might be an issue that Patrick would bekind enough to look at.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #141
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oksik View Post
The uBooks app has it all.
Ok, since you keep mentioning it, let's take another look at it. The following observations were made using uBooks 2.3.72 (released in August and the very next day you started making promises of which you still didn't deliver even a single one):

uBooks still does NOT have:
- support for "Open in"
- OPDS/calibre catalogues
- switching off animations
- brightness control by means of swiping
- synching booksmarks and/or current reading position between different devices in the same book
- Digital Rights Management (DRM)
- toggle for using CSS as used in the book
- annotations
- Two-column mode in landscape view
- Scrolling and pagination modes are mixed

uBooks has the following issues:
- Setting bookmarks is highly clumsy
- Due to the weird scrolling/tapping combined mode, lines get cut off
- Bold and italic font display is imperfect, too (try the test epub in this thread)
- Your claim of DropBox support is by means of a very flaky, clunky browser interface which can't even open most sites I've tried to use.
- Internal conversion of the ebook into something that can't support CSS.

And that's all only after another quick test with some of my ebooks (which I had to upload through that rather weird, painfully slow and unintuitive process on the "upload book" page).

Oksik, while I respect people trying to sell their product, I think it would be best to publish that next version you keep talking about before someone thinks you're just spamming.
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #142
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I'd love to test it out but sadly I can't, because Megareader will not talk to calibre for me. I'm determined to beat it into submission but so far its just refusing to respond.

I've heard others say that bold and italics are not respected by megareader and I must say that the couple of books I have begun to read dont even have chapter headings bolded, its the same font and style... so it might be an issue that Patrick would bekind enough to look at.
Not being able to read bold/italics is a dealbreaker for me. Uninstalled MegaReader for now, and I'm still sticking with Stanza. Bluefire won't display the clock and it shifts my epubs to the right (larger left margin) as confirmed in the Bluefire thread by another user. Weird issues.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #143
ki5ck
Connoisseur
ki5ck began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Note3
bold/italics (and other publisher formatting) was the dealbreaker for Megareader for me, too. Bluefire has HUGE margins on the book I'm reading now (reamde) even at the smallest setting. I'm sticking with Kobo until something better comes along or one of these is updated.

Getting books to my device is really not an issue; I use Calibre2OPDS and dropbox. I can browse my collection in Safari, download my books and use "open in", which most of these programs support.
ki5ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #144
Mrs. Synister
Mrs. Synister began at the beginning.

Device: Stanza
Stanza in ios5

When I installed IOS5 and realized Stanza didnt work saying I was P.O'ed is an understatement. Stanza is the only E-book reader I like. I can customize it any way I want. Thank God my husband didnt upgrade to IOS 5 on his Itunes account yet I was able to do a factory reset on his computer to get back to the old IOS and then reinstalled everything on my Itunes using a back up. I will not upgrade to IOS 5 until they do an upgrade to fix Stanza. I did hear about another E-book reader that is suppose to be as customizable as Stanza called i2Reader. Has anyone used this before?
Mrs. Synister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #145
vsalvaggio
Zealot
vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
I am using MegaReader and it's OK so far. I will test out several books and see if it holds up. My wife already had some complaints about how it displayed her book (I'll need to check it out).

My main beef so far is the way it displays the library. I got used to "Author mode" collapsing the library and putting all the same author's books on another page (if you follow). In MegaReader it just alphabetizes the same big-ole long list by author.

On the plus side I could read my book (yay!) and it talked to calibre's content server with no problem.
vsalvaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #146
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Say it ain't so, Joe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Updated to iOS5 this morning, didnt even consider that Stanza would no longer work, what a bummer! I was halfway through a book and now, pouf, gone. I cant even save it out because none of the stanza books appear in the apps are of itunes. I probably have it somewhere else but at the moment my hard drives and computers are in various states of disconnect and I want it NOW. lol.

Need to check for new readers.
Oh, how I hope that something else is causing the problem and not a fundamental incompatibility. Stanza is my go-to ereader, best of the lot.
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:06 PM   #147
Zooey
Looking for Franny.
Zooey began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2 and iPhone 4
Newbie here, who registered just so I could share in the frustration heh.

I love Stanza, but I also love the iOS 5 so I've tried to migrate to BlueFire, with iBooks and Arcreader (for my graphic novels). I've subscribed to this thread, just in case someone,somewhere finds that magical, mystical ereader with Stanza-like brightness controls.
Zooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #148
CLMixon
CLMixon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Problems with Stanza replacements

I bought Shureader and I2 reader last night as possible Stanza replacements after browsing a lot of posts. I also added Megareader and all of the free readers including two ports of Bluefire under different names. Megareader is doing the best, but still ain't Stanza.

Calibre integration is my biggest feature and while Megareader is working, cannot d/l multiple titles at once and cannot see progress in each book from catalog like I could in Stanza.

I2reader cannot connect to calibre using the "shared Library" but Mega Reader and Shureader can. I set up OPDS in I2 reader and downloaded several epub ebooks that read fine in Stanza and Mega reader, but lock up 1-2 pages in to the book in I2 reader.

ShuReader skips whole sections of the text, refuses to load some chapters and only is able to display a page of text if i hit the shrink font button. It also refuses to hold the region settings and anything else I tray to save in its settings. (Yes, I purchased the in-app upgrade A)

To make a long post shorter, anyone else hitting these issues?

Chris
CLMixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:47 PM   #149
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
Looks like I'll be throwing my support to Bluefire....
We'd love to have you, but we know we have a long way to go to match the awesome feature set of Stanza. Working on it...
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #150
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
FYI, the brightness control in Bluefire Reader takes effect immediately, meaning you don't have to save settings for it to take effect. e.g. on iPad you can open the panel, tweak the setting, and tap out to close the panel. on iPhone you can hit cancel to quickly get back to reading with the new setting. I know this might seem like a bug, but we did that on purpose to make it a quick tweak. Granted, not as quick as swipe up and down while reading like in Stanza, but since we support scrolling in PDF views, we reserved that swipe up/down gesture for that.
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluefire, ios, stanza