Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
cubemike99
Enthusiast
cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Downgrading a virgin 5.3.3 Paperwhite

Hi. I've looked around for this everywhere, but I can't find a solid answer. So, how *do* you downgrade a 5.3.3 Paperwhite to 5.3.1 so it can be jailbroken? Thanks in advance.
cubemike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubemike99 View Post
Hi. I've looked around for this everywhere, but I can't find a solid answer. So, how *do* you downgrade a 5.3.3 Paperwhite to 5.3.1 so it can be jailbroken? Thanks in advance.
Install the Amazon provided 5.3.1 image file using their normal "upgrade" directions (firmware does not detect that it is actually being "downgraded").

At least I think that is how it is done - I have asked people here to confirm, but no confirmations received (yet) - Also no "You fool, that doesn't work." posts either.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
That's exactly what I did. My Paperwhite arrived with 5.3.3. Downgrade to 5.3.1, install jailbreak, upgrade back to 5.3.3, install Kindlet developer certificates, install Rescue Pack, done.

See:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198446

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
FIRMWARE 5.3.3:
This jailbreak cannot be installed on newer firmware versions (thank you Amazon, for yet another middle finger!). You have to downgrade to an older version (e.g., 5.3.1) first, install the jailbreak there, then update to the new version. The jailbreak as such will survive the update (but you have to reinstall the Kindlet developer certificates and the rescue pack - see the "re-installation required" notes below).
The Kindlet developer certificates. (standalone installer package here)

The Rescue Pack.

Last edited by JimmyR; 02-08-2013 at 02:45 PM. Reason: minor edit
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-Jim View Post
That's exactly what I did. My Paperwhite arrived with 5.3.3. Downgrade to 5.3.1, install jailbreak, upgrade back to 5.3.3, install developer Kindlet developer certificates, install Rescue Pack, done.

See:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198446

The Kindlet developer certificates. (standalone installer package here)

The Rescue Pack.
Thanks for the confirmation -
Glad I haven't been telling people the wrong thing for months.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're welcome and thank you.
Advert
Old 02-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
I was going to say that... tooo slllooowww.

Question for the experts. Do you have to do all the updates individually? i.e.
update to 5.3.3
update dev certificates
update rescue pack
update jailbreak bridge
update kindlet jailbreak
update jbpatch
update collection manager

or is there some way to do more than one at a time?

If not, can you leave the USB cable attached and have the computer think the Kindle is a new device every time it restarts?

Thanks, as usual.
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
There was some mention that certain updates could be daisy-chained but I'm not sure which ones (anyone?). What I do know is that when done individually, they work. It is best to unplug the usb cable when updating.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
cubemike99
Enthusiast
cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just successfully jailbroke, reinstalled necessary stuff, and got the launcher working. But what about font? The USE_ALT_FONTS trick seems to have been patch (it doesn't work for me, anyway), so what do I use? Thanks again.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #9
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ

Try restarting your Kindle. I seem to recall that working for others here.

USE_ALT_FONTS works for me, btw.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
cubemike99
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-Jim View Post
USE_ALT_FONTS works for me, btw.
On Paperwhite Firmware 5.3.3?

With a blank file called USE_ALT_FONTS in root and the 4 necessary font files in /fonts?
Old 02-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

**AND NO HIDDEN FILENAME EXTENSION**
If you have one, you have been WinHosed.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
cubemike99
Enthusiast

I got 99 problems but OS ain't one.

Hidden filename extension can't be the problem as I'm on Linux, and unless "touch USE_ALT_FONTS" leaves an extension, that's not the issue. How peculiar...
Old 02-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #13
cubemike99
Enthusiast

Nevermind. Apparently the solution is to simply keep reseting until the fonts show up. Lol.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #14
mnha
mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Kindle 4S; Paperwhite 2012; Nexus 7.2; Galaxy Note 10.1 2014
Did you try to run ; fc-cache? (search while in the kindle home location). Regenerates font info caches, see fc-cache(1). Worked for me upon upgrade to 5.3.3.

Cheers.
mnha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #15
cubemike99
Enthusiast

;fc-cache didn't work, but restarting repeatedly did. Though solving that problem created a few more: is it possible to remove the other fonts (not the 6 default and not user added) and is it possible to specify a Monospaced font to use with the other Regular, Italic, Bold, and BoldItalic?