Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
katewilly
Enthusiast
katewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavens

Device: sony 700, iTouch, iPhone, nook, iPad 2
Any idea when we'll get a firmware update?

I love my 700, it's less than a year old. The only thing the 600 offers is the built-in dictionary, and I would like dictionary support, but not so much as to pay for a new Reader. We would justify a purchase of a 600, if there was a firmware update for the 700. My husband wants a reader, but only if it has a dictionary. He likes my 700, but he feels like they cheated us on the possibilities.

Unless Sony does a firmware update, or a VERY good trade-in for the 700, they'll lose the second sale, or having 2 Sonys in the same household (my husband's reading interests are greatly different from mine).
katewilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:16 AM   #2
AndrewMT
AndrewMT began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
I think all 700 owners are thinking the same thing. Most of the tech blogs indicated that an updated firmware for the previous generation of Readers would be out shortly after the release of the new Readers.

I just emailed Sony requesting the estimated release date for the firmware. Perhaps we could all write our favorite tech blogs and ask them to put some pressure on Sony for an answer. I'll be emailing Engadget and Gizmodo.
AndrewMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 01:25 AM   #3
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I'm hoping for a firmware update for improved ePub and pdf support (maybe more font sizes too, and how about a clock display?), which would be of major interest to all Reader owners! (Especially if they update the 500 firmware to handle ePub!)
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:40 AM   #4
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I share your faith, but I fear the real answer is somewhere between "don't hold your breathe" and "waiting for godot".

I would love to be surprised.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote