Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-30-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
IMG
IMG began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad Book Edition
How often are the "hated" stripes on iLiad?

Hello ,

I recently joined the ebook-reader-community by purchasing an Iliad Book edition. Unfortunately only after ten days of use, i accidentally dropped my iLiad on a wooden floor , from about one meter height. The result is the top of the screen does not display any more what it should, it rather stays unchanged(white with some random stripes).Ofcourse this issue, that i am 100% responsible for , made me to research for similar stories of broken iLiad displays (not necessarily because of dropping it down).So:

1) With proper use (no dropping and such) of iLiad , how often a phenomenon is a broken display?Is there an estimate of the number of broken displays out of 100 iLiads?

2) After how many months does this typically occur?

3) Are there any significant using-styles causing this, or increasing the possibility of it happening?(For example heavy note-taking use?)

4) Can you somehow prevent it?

5) Are there any of you that use your iLiad regurarly for over a year without any issues like that?

I might choose to buy a new iLiad soon , but now i would like to be really careful and not click the "buy now" button just driven of enthusiasm for this technology.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Have a happy new year,
IMG

PS Let me clarify this. I found on the net quite many stories , with vertical or horizontal stripes appearing on iLiad display after 2-3 months. I am asking for this issue. Ofcourse dropping it down is another story .

Last edited by IMG; 12-30-2008 at 05:18 PM. Reason: question clarification
IMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
You broke the screen when you dropped it, that's why it looks that way. There's a glass layer under the screen that has cracked.

It doesn't happen from normal use. It's not a "wear issue" so there's no number of months/years where this occurs and there's nothing you need to worry about with regards to usage styles... other than don't drop it or impact the screen with another object.

I'm sorry that happened to you, but there's no applicable answer to most of your questions.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2008, 05:16 PM   #3
IMG
IMG began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad Book Edition
Let me clarify this. I found on the net quite many stories , with vertical or horizontal stripes appearing on iLiad display after 2-3 months. I am asking for this issue. Ofcourse dropping it down is another story .

IMG
IMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
IMHO, Shaggy didn't mis-read your words. BTW, I don't see any statistical data about iLiad broken screen under normal usage in the forum.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:16 AM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMG View Post
Let me clarify this. I found on the net quite many stories , with vertical or horizontal stripes appearing on iLiad display after 2-3 months. I am asking for this issue. Ofcourse dropping it down is another story .

IMG
OK, I think you're talking about a completely different thing. Your first post sounded like you were talking about a broken screen. I think what you're referring to above is the "line out error" issue. It's similar to LCD screens where a single line of pixels goes dead all the way across the screen. It's basically a defect in the screen. Most of the time I've heard of people having this problem it happens with the brand new device right out of the box. However, I have read about a couple cases where it developed over time, but I don't have any real statistics/answers.

There isn't anything special that I know of which you can do to avoid the "line out error" from happening. It's more of a defect than a wear and tear problem. The good news is that iRex will usually repair a "line out error" at no charge if you are still under warranty.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert