Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-18-2008, 09:15 PM   #1
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Returning PRS505 Before Year Warranty Ends!

I need advice! I've just noticed the past week that somthing might be wrong with the battery on my PRS505. Because I'm addicted to my reader, I'm usually always reading, converting or downloading materials, so my reader is plug to my computer by the USB cable at least a couple of times a week. Three weeks ago I bought a Kindle, so I've been reading with both readers, except for a few days last week. I charged my PRS505 until the light turn off and did not use it for 3 full days. When I turned it on, it changed after a minute to display the ! point to let me know that I did not have much charge. I know if I don't shut-down the reader completely the reader is still using batteries but do you think 3 days of no use should have drain the batteries? I charged it fully again on Saturday and this time, delibrately did not use it and I just turned it on with the same result (the ! was on the screen, letting me know that the battery is almost completely drained). I received my PRS505 on December 4th of last year, so the warranty is almost over. Do you guys think something is wrong with the batteries? Or is it normal to drain in 3 days with no use? I've not tested it on complete shutdown mode since I just realized something might be wrong & running out of time!

Last edited by Lilly; 11-18-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:28 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I need advice! I've just noticed the past week that somthing might be wrong with the battery on my PRS505. Because I'm addicted to my reader, I'm usually always reading, converting or downloading materials, so my reader is plug to my computer by the USB cable at least a couple of times a week. Three weeks ago I bought a Kindle, so I've been reading with both readers, except for a few days last week. I charged my PRS505 until the light turn off and did not use it for 3 full days. When I turned it on, it changed after a minute to display the ! point to let me know that I did not have much charge. I know if I don't shut-down the reader completely the reader is still using batteries but do you think 3 days of no use should have drain the batteries? I charged it fully again on Saturday and this time, delibrately did not use it and I just turned it on with the same result (the ! was on the screen, letting me know that the battery is almost completely drained). I received my PRS505 on December 4th of last year, so the warranty is almost over. Do you guys think something is wrong with the batteries? Or is it normal to drain in 3 days with no use? I've not tested it on complete shutdown mode since I just realized something might be wrong & running out of time!
Reset the reader. Sometimes the batter indicator just is messed up and resetting it will resolve it. I have the same problem with my iPod every now and then.

If that doesn't do it, then yes, I don't think it should run down in 3 days of no use. You could even shut it down to double check.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2008, 03:06 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The battery should last something three weeks in "standby" mode (ie with the Reader "off", but not "shut down"). If it's draining the battery in 3 days, it sounds very much as though the battery is terminally ill (if you'll excuse the pun).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:31 PM   #4
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Yep - I'd try the reset suggested by PilotBob and follow that up with an overnight recharge using an external (non-USB) charger.

If you have any memory cards you might try removing them to see if that helps, too.

Cheers,
Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:21 PM   #5
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

PRSCustomizer?

Overnight charging did not work and soft reset did not work so I tried a hard reset only to discover that my volume button is loose. I was unable to do the hard reset. I just spoke to Sony support and they decided to replace the reader. I'm mailing it to them tomorrow. What is the best way to remove the PRSCustomizer? I have my contact information in the setting and since the volume button is loose, I was unable to do a hard reset. I saw a Restore Defaults in the Settings menu but nothing happened when I press it and the bookmark button. Since I'm getting a new reader, I need to restore it before I send it back to Sony tomorrow.

Thanks
Advert
Old 11-25-2008, 02:24 PM   #6
Lilly
Guru

By the way, I still have the Sony CD.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #7
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Return it. My first Reader wouldn't hold a charge. Borders replaced mine with no hassle whatsoever. YMMV.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:02 AM   #8
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
What is the best way to remove the PRSCustomizer? I have my contact information in the setting and since the volume button is loose, I was unable to do a hard reset. I saw a Restore Defaults in the Settings menu but nothing happened when I press it and the bookmark button. Since I'm getting a new reader, I need to restore it before I send it back to Sony tomorrow.
Well, I wouldn't worry about it, but if you really wanted to, one of the options on the menu you get when you load a PRSCustomiser/Univeral Flasher configured SD card allows you to set the Reader into Firmware Update mode, after which you could just run the Sony Firmware Update.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:55 AM   #9
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Quote:
Overnight charging did not work and soft reset did not work so I tried a hard reset only to discover that my volume button is loose. I was unable to do the hard reset. I.

Thanks
Err have you tied to reset using the reset button on the back of the unit?

Or am I missing sommit obvious?
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote