Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-12-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
M.H.
Connoisseur
M.H. doesn't litterM.H. doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3, iPad
Ereaders: the final chapter for the book?

There is an article in today's Telegraph newspaper about ebooks in which the writer says

Quote:
Finally, there is the all-important emotional question. An ereader, like all gadgets, is shiny, plastic, artificial. A book is pliable, organic, warm.

And that, in the end, is the reason I suspect the ereader will be slow to become a mass-market phenomenon, if indeed it ever does. It works for me because it is an elegant solution to a specific problem - that of carrying heavy books on the Tube. But it won't work for everyone.
He seems to imply that it is a solution to a problem that only he has. There are thousands (millions?) of people that travel on public transport every day that could benefit in exactly the same way. I think the real barrier is the initial cost of the hardware.
M.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
plus, books may be pliable and organic, but trying to read the omnibus edition of Léo Malet's Nestor Burma books (printed on onion skin paper, as thick as it is wide, and with soft cover...) in bed is possibly the least "friendly" reading experience i've ever had. nothing about the ergonomics of that situation can be described in a positive way. it's much friendlier to get cozy with a little liseuse that weighs a few grammes and can be held in one hand, in any position. i suspect people who never expected it will find themselves forming a similar bond to their liseuse that they had to books, once they actually try them.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
plus, books may be pliable and organic, but trying to read the omnibus edition of Léo Malet's Nestor Burma books (printed on onion skin paper, as thick as it is wide, and with soft cover...) in bed is possibly the least "friendly" reading experience i've ever had. nothing about the ergonomics of that situation can be described in a positive way. it's much friendlier to get cozy with a little liseuse that weighs a few grammes and can be held in one hand, in any position. i suspect people who never expected it will find themselves forming a similar bond to their liseuse that they had to books, once they actually try them.
Ok ZP this is the Translation I found how wrong is it.
1 liseuse Noun, feminine (a) reader
(b) book-cover, binder
(c) (lady's) bed jacket
(d) reading light
(e) paper knife (used as a bookmark)
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

(f) electronic reading device.

hey, it's a new technology ; you have to allow some time for the terminology to catch up.

i can assure you though that it is already in use in everyday life.

(you should actually try searching this forum for the word. for example, you could try reading the thread called something like "e-reader devices : naming."

i guarantee it's worth your time.)
Old 07-12-2008, 12:28 PM   #5
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:

hey, it's a new technology ; you have to allow some time for the terminology to catch up.

(you should actually try searching this forum for the word. for example, you could try reading the thread called something like "e-reader devices : naming."

I will give it a shot but I am barely good at English!

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel

it's okay, the overwhelming majority of that thread *is* in english.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I think that ebooks will eventually capture a majority of the book market. I don't think it will be any time soon, nor will it be any of the current crop of ereaders or their direct descendants that does it (as much as I love my Kindle). But, I have no doubt that it will eventually happen.

There will always be a place for real paper books, but in time there will be a switch over to ebooks for most things.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:15 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

Or look in the wiki.

dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:38 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How can you take an article seriously when the author cannot even use the term eReader properly?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:40 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I found that trying to read The Stand in bed is not a great experience as well. The pBook is just so thick, it's hard to hold on one hand. Now that's it's available as an eBook, it will be a lot easier to read when in bed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:16 PM   #11
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Ereaders: the final chapter for the book?
There is an article in today's Telegraph newspaper about ebooks in which the writer says

Quote:
Finally, there is the all-important emotional question. An ereader, like all gadgets, is shiny, plastic, artificial. A book is pliable, organic, warm.

And that, in the end, is the reason I suspect the ereader will be slow to become a mass-market phenomenon, if indeed it ever does. It works for me because it is an elegant solution to a specific problem - that of carrying heavy books on the Tube. But it won't work for everyone.
It could have as easily been said that the "Conastoga Wagon" is "pliable, organic, warm" while the automobile is "shiny, plastic, artificial". Does that mean that the automobile "will be slow to become a mass-market phenomenon, if indeed it ever does"?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wagon.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	14290  
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:14 AM   #12
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
He is probably someone over the age of 30-35. People under the age of twentyfive those who have grown up with mobile phones, handheld games, other gadgets actually would feel more comfortable with the feel of plastic instead of paper.

I personally think the first eink reader with good enough color to show comics and manga correctly will be the breakthrough device like ipod was for mp3.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:00 AM   #13
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
When they get good enough for textbooks we'll see a generation of kids growing up reading on devices rather than paper.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:41 AM   #14
Trenien
Groupie
Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Librie, eReader, Kobo Glo
Quote:

It is? irst time I heard of it (and I am French).
Trenien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:26 AM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenien View Post
It is? first time I heard of it (and I am French).
it is, to the degree that *anything* about ebooks is in daily use, since the majority of people still have not heard of them (especially in France). but i first encountered it on a french blog quite some time ago, that is where i learned it, and have seen it used in several different places (always by people who know something about ebooks, of course, so i admit it does remain rather confidential for the moment). also we are making quite a big of progress propagating the word completely artificially in english in this forum.

secret goal : liseuse world domination !!