Notices

View Poll Results: Do you own a STAReBOOK
Yes 6 35.29%
No (But I am interested in it) 11 64.71%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2008, 01:38 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Does anyone have a Starebook?

I'm curious. How many Starebook owners do we have?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:11 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I'm curious. How many Starebook owners do we have?
I turned this request into a poll so we can find out easily.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2008, 02:21 PM   #3
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
For those of us who DON'T have one, can you post a link to a picture?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9475
Old 03-06-2008, 03:07 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
You can also read about it in the wiki. https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/STAReBOOK

Dale
Advert
Old 03-11-2008, 12:03 AM   #6
Rechard
Rechard began at the beginning.

StareBook=Cybook Gen3=Neat Book=PviBook
Thay are all licensed by a TaiWan company.
Rechard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:06 AM   #7
micro
Connoisseur
micro doesn't littermicro doesn't littermicro doesn't litter

Device: STAReBOOK STK-101
Wow, I'm the one

If only I can load some of hte newer firmware ......

micro
micro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:10 AM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Yay! I found one!
Old 03-17-2008, 10:31 PM   #9
micro
Connoisseur

glad to be of service
Old 03-22-2008, 09:04 PM   #10
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I also have one...must be around here somewhere...but i'm stuck on an old firmware...downgraded by accident and could never upgrade again because the website that hosted the updates has been dead for ages.

Even with the most up-to-date firmware it was severely lacking in many ways...it's a pity that we can't use any of the firmwares available for other OEM versions of this same hardware out there...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:45 AM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
I also have one...must be around here somewhere...but i'm stuck on an old firmware...downgraded by accident and could never upgrade again because the website that hosted the updates has been dead for ages.

Even with the most up-to-date firmware it was severely lacking in many ways...it's a pity that we can't use any of the firmwares available for other OEM versions of this same hardware out there...
You might want to contact Netronix (see out wiki for the url). They may be able to help you. See if the EB-100 looks like something you can live with.

Dale
Old 03-23-2008, 01:08 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Has anyone actually tried flashing say a Gen3 firmware?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:36 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's a "chicken and egg" situation, Jon. The Gen3's firmware can only be flashed by the Gen3's firmware flasher, which is part of the firmware...
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:07 AM   #14
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Well, the Gen3 firmware can be flashed onto a STAReBOOK, I tried, but it did not work. Certain parst of the firmware were not flahsed (I guess the bootloader) and thus the device stopped responding after it showed the boot-splashscreen. Reflashing it back to STAReBOOK worked. I had to fiddle with the files a bit to make it work in the first place, but it did flahs and also verified the flashed date but I guess the firmware update I had (it's not easy to get one's hands on Gen3 Firmware Updates) was not a complete "Reflash" firmware but rather an incremental update. With a complete firmware dump it should work, only the display driver could cause problems because it is made for Vizplex and the STAReBOOK devices use the "old" eink screen...

I'll try netronix, but they'll probably be just as responsive as Bookeen (no reply...ever...)

I got a reply from Netronix. That was the good news.
The bad news is, that Netronix just does hardware, no software, so we're still out of luck.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:11 PM   #15
micro
Connoisseur

Wow, congrats on at least getting that far. I havent dared to do that since I only have the one device. Shame it didn't work thou.

Good luck with other ideas thou, and let me know if you get anywhere,

micro