Notices

Old 04-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
imageraw
Connoisseur
imageraw began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-650
charging through a USB wall charger?

hi everyone,

I have a Sony AC power adaptor 5v (input: AC/output: DC), that is, wall socket > USB adaptor. I used to charge a Sony Minidisc player.

Can I use it to charge the battery of a Sony prs-650 (as an alternative to USB-charging it from a PC)? If I plug it in, the screen simply says "USB connected", but there's no indication that the battery is actually being charged. I just don't want to damage it, so I'm not testing it.

Any idea? Thanks.
imageraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You should be able to use the 650 while it's charging (unless it's plugged into a computer). If not, then the charger is not compatible.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
imageraw
Connoisseur

what would make it compatible? It has the same specs as the (very expensive) sony usb/adapter charger sold by sony...
on a related note (will repost if necessary), would this have something to do with having installed the PRS-PLUS package?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageraw View Post
what would make it compatible? It has the same specs as the (very expensive) sony usb/adapter charger sold by sony...
on a related note (will repost if necessary), would this have something to do with having installed the PRS-PLUS package?
PRS+ wouldn't affect that. I remember a lot of posts about which adapters were compatible--most android phone chargers seemed to be, and it had more to do with how the tip was shaped.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Just plug it in with that adapter you have and try it. I haven't read about anyone damaging their reader by plugging in a wrong adapater (as long as the plug is the correct size that is, of course don't force in a plug that doesn't fit)... either it will work or it won't.

The wall charger that came with my LG Rumor Touch works perfectly with my 350 reader and I use that all the time on mine. If you have other phone chargers laying around, try them also if the Sony adapter doesn't work for some reason. There are older posts around this forum that get into more specifics on the ratings if you do a search.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Mine isn't "damaged" by the wrong charger, but it will refuse to charge and reboot if plugged into my Apple chargers. My Nokia N8 phone is equally picky about chargers. My Kindles and all other Micro-USB devices seem to tolerate whatever charger you throw at them.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
imageraw
Connoisseur

thanks all for your feedback. I tried the two kinds of UBS adapters I have at home: the Sony one (with which I used to charge the battery of the Sony MZ-RH1) and a simple wall-plug with a USB output.

Neither works. All I get is a blank screen - "USB connectioN" - and that's it. In fact after leaving it plugged in the Sony one for one hour, the reader froze and I had to hard-reset it.

I just bought a wall charger "specifically designed for sony prs 650" off eBay. When I get it I'll post the result.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageraw View Post
thanks all for your feedback. I tried the two kinds of UBS adapters I have at home: the Sony one (with which I used to charge the battery of the Sony MZ-RH1) and a simple wall-plug with a USB output.

Neither works. All I get is a blank screen - "USB connectioN" - and that's it. In fact after leaving it plugged in the Sony one for one hour, the reader froze and I had to hard-reset it.

I just bought a wall charger "specifically designed for sony prs 650" off eBay. When I get it I'll post the result.

Those type of chargers will not work. You have to have an AC charger. The micro USB Sony devices don't work USB to plug like the various Apple devices do. You have to have a dedicated AC plug with a micro-USB end. I have found Blackberry chargers to work, micro-USB tipped AC chargers work (I got one for $10 at Sam's Club) and the Amazon Kindle charger works on the Sony.

I never seem to do a good job of explaining it properly but get a dedicated generic AC charger with a micro USB tip.

Amazon Kindle Power Adapter
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
The reason some some chargers do not work is that in case of SONY-Readers (at least x50-series) two of the 4 cables soldered to the USB-plug have to be short-connected.

That's not the case in every charger even when the form-factor (micro-USB) is given. In those cases you can plug it in but the reader will refuse to switch to cahrging-mode.

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:53 AM   #10
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
My Samsung Gravity phone ac charger works fine. It was cheap on ebay, too.
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #11
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Those type of chargers will not work. You have to have an AC charger. The micro USB Sony devices don't work USB to plug like the various Apple devices do. You have to have a dedicated AC plug with a micro-USB end.
I charge my PRS-650 off a plug in to USB adapter, USB port on computer, and iGo Charge Anywhere, also my Plantronics blue tooth headset charger works.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #12
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Those type of chargers will not work. You have to have an AC charger. The micro USB Sony devices don't work USB to plug like the various Apple devices do.
That's an overly broad generalization. Some chargers where the cable connects to the charger through a full size USB port do work and do charge the T1, ones that don't have the data wires shorted do not work.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #13
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
I've found every USB charger works... just needs the right cable as geoffwood says above, with data lines earthed...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #14
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
That's an overly broad generalization. Some chargers where the cable connects to the charger through a full size USB port do work and do charge the T1, ones that don't have the data wires shorted do not work.
Agreed. My 650 and 350 charge with Retrak and Proporta plugged in to all sorts of adapters. In fact, I've never charged mine using a cable attached to a wall outlet. I've always used microUSB to USB cables.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:42 AM   #15
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
There have been a few cases of data loss through using Apple chargers, don't know if it damaged the battery though.
I've had any problems with a plethora of wall chargers, some just don't work. I did try my Sansa Clip charger on the T1 and it didn't work, I recall - but that seems to be a fussy charger anyway.....
Generally anything with the right tip works - but not Apple...

Play safe - no Apple-y stuff .....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote