Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
thaKing
thaKing began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Aldiko - epub on SD card?

Up until last night I thought I had been doing everything I needed to store my epubs on my SD card to read via Aldiko. Here's how I've done it and the results:
  1. Plug NC into computer (not the SD card)
  2. Copy/move books to NC directory MyFiles > Books > Book_folder_name
  3. Open Aldiko and Import books
What I was expecting, and had been assuming, was that this copied the books to my SD card. What it does instead is copy the books to an eBooks directory on the NC.

So, is there a way to have Aldiko import the books and have them on the SD card rather than the NC? That's one reason I bought a large card was to put all my books on there and free up the NC.

NC running CM7
thaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
The SD card should come up as a separate drive labeled CM7SDCARD after you enable USB storage through the NC's notifications. However, when you import to Aldiko it actually copies the books to its own directory, usually on the SD card, so you may have the books in both places, in which case you can just delete the ones on eMMC (internal storage).
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
thaKing

Maybe I'm not doing something right here. When I plug in the NC to my PC, I am given the option to turn on USB storage - which I say yes to. However, I cannot use Aldiko in this mode. If I eject the NC and SD card from my PC, it automatically turns off USB storage and enables Aldiko.

No matter what I do, it imports from the MyFiles directory on my NC to an eBooks directory on the NC.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
You should be able to change where Aldiko keeps its library via the app settings.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
thaKing

If I go Settings > Application Settings > Storage Use, and select SD Card across the top, Aldiko has a checkmark selecting it to use SD storage. In Aldiko if I go to Settings it has Adobe DRM, Tips, Help, About, Terms and Tell a Friend.

So, according to the NC it has Aldiko using SD for storage. But when I go to import, I get no options, it just imports them after I say OK. These always end up on eMMC. You mentioned turning on USB storage. I can only find that option when it is plugged into my PC. Is that true? And when it's plugged in and USB storage turned on, Aldiko is not available to use.

Sorry, this is driving me crazy. Shouldn't be this hard. And I know it is something simple I am overlooking or not selecting or something.
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
wgwood
Camping Fool
wgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three notes

Device: Nook STR, Nook Color w/CM 7.2
I went about this in a different way. I boot cm7.1 off a 32GB sd card. The way it is set up is you get 1gb internal on the nook and 1gb on the sd card. To access the additional 31gb of space on the sd card, you have to plug it into the computer and enable usb mode.

So I made folders for ebooks, audiobooks, music, and videos and put them in the cmd7sdcard partition while hooked up to the computer in usb mode. I then sideloaded about 20gb's of files to the different folders.

My next step was to find corresponding apps that could read the files from that location, which is mnt/emmc. For ebooks, aldiko and moon reader could not be pointed to my newly created ebook folder on the large partion. They only looked in the 1gb partitions.

Coolreader, however, could access the folder just fine. The only downside is that Calibre cannot access it, so you have to drag the books over yourself. But that is no big deal for me.

I also found out that Mortplayer for Audiobooks and Mortplayer for Music can also read directly from the big partition. MX Video Player can access the video files from there as well.

This setup allows me to keep the 1gb internal Nook storage and the 1gb sd card partition available just for apps. All my media is stored on the 31gb partition on the sd card.

I also found out that Titanium Backup can be set to use the large partition, saving space and making it easy to grab a copy and store it on my computer.

I could go on and on about overclocking, undervolting, V6 Supercharger, etc. which turns our little reader into a very capable tablet. But I am sure you already know about all that.

So unless you really need to use Aldiko, I find Coolreader to be a very versatile app for ebook reading. There are tons of settings to play around with. Night Mode is great. I set it to red text on a black background.

Regards,
Greg
wgwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
thaKing

Hi Greg, thanks for the info. I don't need Aldiko, nor is it necessary. It was recommended awhile ago and that's what I've used.

Sounds like you went through the same thing I was going through - I setup the directories on my card as well, hoping to get Aldiko to utilize it. But as you see in this thread, it's not going so well.

I'll check out Coolreader. Besides, can't hurt to have more than one reader.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #8
wgwood
Camping Fool
wgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three notes

Device: Nook STR, Nook Color w/CM 7.2
Yep, CoolReader works great for accessing the eBook files on the big sd partition. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Greg
wgwood is offline   Reply With Quote