Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
Apmum
Apmum began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Kindle and case suggestions for Solider

Hi Everyone,

I have a kindle and love it and am thinking of getting my Brother in law one for while he is posted for active duty early next year.

I was looking at the touch but would like to know how solid it is. This Kindle is going to be thrown in packs and treated rather roughly.

Also can anyone recommend a seriously heavy duty case for either the touch or the new Kindle keyboard model?

Thanks a million.

I appreciate your responses.
Apmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
You are on the right track, you need to find some kind of hard case, because if it can be handled roughly it will be. Also it depends on the branch of service, some will be harder and rougher than others. I was USAF in my days past, so stuff did not get banged up much. Navy will be much the same. Now Army and Marines can get rough toting stuff.

Your best bet would be a hard box that a kindle w/cover will fit snugly in, but be the size of a paper book. Space for personal items is a very limited and precious thing, so the complete kit needs too be as small as possible.

Hope this helps!

Edited: Welcome to the forum, sorta new here myself. And may your son return as he left you, but wiser and a tad older.

Last edited by DustyDisks; 11-21-2011 at 09:01 PM.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apmum View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have a kindle and love it and am thinking of getting my Brother in law one for while he is posted for active duty early next year.

I was looking at the touch but would like to know how solid it is. This Kindle is going to be thrown in packs and treated rather roughly.

Also can anyone recommend a seriously heavy duty case for either the touch or the new Kindle keyboard model?

Thanks a million.

I appreciate your responses.
Latitude jacket by M-Edge is what Kindle for Troops uses in their donate a kindle to a soldier program.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:34 PM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Maybe take a look at an Otterbox or KlearKase.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #5
Apmum
Apmum began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Thank you. I appreciate your help.
Apmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Here is a link to a thread for home-made cases. Have a look at post #7, it looks like a neat idea, and it seems like it would make for some good protection:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11420
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:51 PM   #7
Charles Clarke
Charles Clarke began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
This seems like a pretty good cover (I think he'll find the hand strap useful):
http://www.amazon.com/Marware-Atlas-...2707495&sr=8-2

As for a heavy duty case, will these do:
http://www.amazon.com/GunVault-NV200...d_sim_sbs_sg_1

or

http://www.amazon.com/MTM-Single-Han...d_sim_sbs_sg_6
Charles Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:57 AM   #8
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Not directly an answer to your question, but I got a Kindle Fire because I broke my Kindle Keyboard's screen after 3 weeks of use simply by putting it into my bag (in a padded sleeve, obviously not padded well enough) together with my iPad and iPod. No throwing, dropping, mutilating, whatever.

So even though Amazon replaced it immediately, I rather went for a more robust device, which the Fire should be.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:20 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
This option is a bit expensive, but super protection when used in combination. Get a good cover for day-to-day use that will protect the screen. When traveling, place the Kindle and cover inside some type of padded sleeve that zips shut. That provides shock protection and keeps dirt and small objects from getting into exposed ports and under the cover; possibly cracking the screen.

I have the standard leather cover for my Kindle Keyboard. When it leaves the house, I place it inside a Body Glove neoprene sleeve that I got at Walmart for $15. That provides excellent protection for me; but then, I'm not in the military. That would call for more protection, and G-Form makes some really tough sleeves that offer excellent shock protection and water resistance; but they're on spendy side.
&

or
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:29 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Here are a few videos on the G-Form:

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote