Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-12-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
kittyhawk63
kittyhawk63 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Printing the User Manual

Have any of you figured a way to print far less pages than the User Manual requires of the 56 pages using the PDF file or more on MS Word and even more on WordPerfect?

I would like to have a hard copy for my wife.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
kittyhawk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
When you use the Print function of Adobe Reader, in the print dialog there is a field where you can specify the page range to print. You click the button that says "Pages" and you change the range to the pages you want (e.g. 10 - 20). You can also print the current page.

Or perhaps you mean you want to print the entire manual but squeeze it into less than the pages it requires? If so, you could try the pull-down in the print dialog that is labelled "Page Scaling". Also, if you do a Google search, you probably can find utilities that shrink printing results.

Another idea is to select all the text in the PDF, and copy paste it into an empty Word document and then use Word to reformat it, but this is very time consuming, I should think.

Last edited by RAH; 02-13-2011 at 07:55 AM.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Or in Printer properties, change the page layout from 1 to 2 pages per sheet.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
kittyhawk63
kittyhawk63 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Thank you both for your suggestions. I tried copying the text of the PDF file and pasting it in Word and WordPerfect. The pages increased significantly. I couldn't reduce it enough by changing the font size. There were still far too many pages for me to print. 56 pages of the PDF went to over 100 pages in WordPerfect and around 80+ in MS Word.

I'll try your suggestions on "Pages" and see what happens. Thanks again.
kittyhawk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:44 AM   #5
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyhawk63 View Post
I couldn't reduce it enough by changing the font size. There were still far too many pages for me to print. 56 pages of the PDF went to over 100 pages in WordPerfect and around 80+ in MS Word.
Actually, I'm surprised to hear this. I should think that if you made you margins really small (left, right, top, bottom), and your font really small, you could reduce the number of pages. I mean, the text data is the same, so why wouldn't it be less pages if you made each page wider with a smaller font? I'm not saying it would look very good or be easy to read, of course.

You could try software like Publish-It:

http://www.postersw.com/publish.html,

This gives you more flexibility for columnar and booklet style printing than a typical wordprocessor. You can try before you buy and the standard version is only $24. The pro one adds PDF creation, but you wouldn't need that.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert