Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-02-2007, 01:40 AM   #91
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
Usually outright crashes to be completely unresponsive forcing me to have to press the "reset" button on the back. I have learned to never ever remove or insert the card unless the unit is off. Though if I remove it turn it on and then insert it its usually ok. Its when I both REMOVE and INSERT while its on that it tends to get upset with me :-)
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:40 PM   #92
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
You get safer results if you remove a card with Connect doing it.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:37 PM   #93
unkilbeeg
Enthusiast
unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: Sony PRS-500/Astak EZReader 5"/PocketBook 360/Kindle
I've tried removing a card while the unit was off. This resulted in a serious anxiety attack -- I was afraid it might never work again. I finally found the reset button and all was well.

If I insert or remove a card while the unit is on and at the book list page, it simply thinks about it for a moment (an icon of two arrows chasing each other in a circle) and the new index appears. *All* books retain their places.

I've never tried it with the Connect software, because it doesn't run here (and wouldn't be useful to me if it did.) All books are transfered via SD card, so I switch cards out on a pretty regular basis.
unkilbeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 07:27 PM   #94
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
A very useful tip that I wished I've found out sooner.
http://hightech.afmag.net/transfer-b...-fast-way.html

If you transfer books into a dedicated cardreader with the connect software, the books will be formatted correctly, but at a much higher speed than when transferring the books into the reader directly.

(of course, only interesting if you have large books of over the 50MB)
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:31 PM   #95
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did notice the other day when I had my SD card in the card reader that Connect saw it. Didn't know it could do that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:51 PM   #96
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It'll see it if it's in a card reader too. Go on, try it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:30 AM   #97
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

just be careful with 4GB cards though... you can add more files than 2GB through the connect reader, but the Sony Reader can't access it to write it's metadata (history) so it will crash....
Old 06-24-2007, 08:48 AM   #98
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've discovered (as a result of a discussion over at the Baen Bar) that the 10-page jump thingy (hold the "Next" button down for 5 seconds to jump 10 pages) also works in the menus.

I've been trying to post it over there to answer a question, but I can't get the thing to give stay available long enough to make the stupid post.

Man, do I love MobileRead -- it's only been out twice that I know of in 18 months, and one of those was the server migration!
Old 06-24-2007, 09:23 AM   #99
athlonkmf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I've discovered (as a result of a discussion over at the Baen Bar) that the 10-page jump thingy (hold the "Next" button down for 5 seconds to jump 10 pages) also works in the menus.
It's not exactly the same. It won't jump 10 pages, instead it will jump to the beginning or the end. (hold next for 5 seconds->jump to end of TOC, hold previous for 5 seconds->jump to begining)
Old 06-24-2007, 09:30 AM   #100
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
It's not exactly the same. It won't jump 10 pages, instead it will jump to the beginning or the end. (hold next for 5 seconds->jump to end of TOC, hold previous for 5 seconds->jump to begining)
It could be the same thing. The only way to know for sure it to make a ToC that is more then 10 pages long to test it out.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:48 AM   #101
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

I've been trying to post it over there to answer a question, but I can't get the thing to give stay available long enough to make the stupid post.

Man, do I love MobileRead -- it's only been out twice that I know of in 18 months, and one of those was the server migration!
How long does it take Baen Bar to email your username and password? Been like 15 min so far with no email.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:26 AM   #102
athlonkmf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It could be the same thing. The only way to know for sure it to make a ToC that is more then 10 pages long to test it out.
I tested it on a TOC with 50 pages
Old 06-24-2007, 10:30 AM   #103
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:

...And we've been warned ahead of time.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:34 PM   #104
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How long does it take Baen Bar to email your username and password? Been like 15 min so far with no email.
Dunno. I signed up better than a year ago, so I don't remember.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:10 AM   #105
ns66
Connoisseur
ns66 doesn't litterns66 doesn't litter

Device: sony reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_d View Post
I really wish i could use the Reader without the cover, but it's almost like Sony found just the right type of brushed metal to make you never want to do that. Maybe there's some felt sticker I can put on?

As for renaming pdfs, PDFrasterFarian lets you do that while it's converting the pdf to be all pretty.
if you worry about scratch, use "food wrap" plastic thing to wrap it and it sticks and you can read through it, wont cost you a penny
ns66 is offline   Reply With Quote