Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #31
Stea1th
Enthusiast
Stea1th began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
lol...that was it.
Stea1th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #32
Stea1th
Enthusiast

hmmm... I ssh and it gives me this

#################################################
# N O T I C E * N O T I C E * N O T I C E #
Rootfs is mounted read-only. Invoke mntroot rw to
switch back to a writable rootfs.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #33
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stea1th View Post
im trying 5.0.1 fuck it
Errm... which OTHER ssh-enabled diags image did you try before?
There are only 5.0.* diags with ssh for download.

Another classic case of PEBKAC...?
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #34
Stea1th
Enthusiast

I used the 5.0.0
Old 07-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #35
Stea1th
Enthusiast

It worked. Thanks a Lot guys.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #36
Stea1th
Enthusiast

The demo shit is off and I have full control of the kindle.

I just want to thank you all for putting up with my dumbass. I probably asked a lot of dumb questions and probably need a dummies guide for fixing a kindle.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #37
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
hmmm... I ssh and it gives me this

# N O T I C E * N O T I C E * N O T I C E #
Rootfs is mounted read-only. Invoke mntroot rw to
switch back to a writable rootfs.
If you're booted in diags, just

- copy the main image to the kindle via ssh (if you haven't copied it there before)
-then execute something along these lines:
Code:
dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K
idme -d --bootmode main
rm /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS; sync; reboot
(ok, Stea1th was faster)
Old 07-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #38
Stea1th
Enthusiast

yep thanks
Old 07-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #39
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
yep thanks
... and now that you've gone through it the hard way, you will see that the next time you have to do this procedure (if ever), it will be a piece of cake
Old 07-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #40
Stea1th
Enthusiast

i can do it with my eyes closed now
Old 07-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #41
Stea1th
Enthusiast

What other cool stuff can I do with a kindle 3G, is it tether-able?
Old 07-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #42
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Nobody here will give you advice about that topic. Yes, we're hackers, but we're not antisocial abusers.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #43
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Yes, but do not do it. That behavior is what may have contributed to the 50MB/month cap in Canada and other non-US and non-UK locations. Also, the site rules do not allow giving details or links to details here. We do not like such discussions here because abusing amazon in that way is likely to get future kindles even more locked down.

However, there is a lot of cool stuff in the forum. Start at the Master Index sticky thread and check out the linked index wikis, and the things that they link to. There is a lot of other cool stuff in this forum waiting to be indexed too.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-24-2012 at 09:03 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:14 AM   #44
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
@Stea1th: Can the demo kindle be registered to amazon? I've bought a lot of those to replace the software on them like you did, and I'd like to know if there are issues with registration. Does it work?
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:22 AM   #45
Stea1th
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio130 View Post
@Stea1th: Can the demo kindle be registered to amazon? I've bought a lot of those to replace the software on them like you did, and I'd like to know if there are issues with registration. Does it work?

I didnt try to register it yet but I'll try tonight when I get home