Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
book64
Love reading
book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 8 mobile. Samsung 8 and 10 Tablets
Smile Calibre help managing my ebooks

I have added all my ebooks to Calibre. Most of them are free from Drm.

I know not to mess with inside the Calibre folder.

A. Is it ok to delete the original ebooks? Was just wondering in case I decide to stop using Calibre at a later date.

B. If i give any ebooks to a friend do I just copy them out of the Calibre folder onto a memory stick? Or is there a special way - do i need the whole folder of each book?

Thanks
book64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by book64 View Post
I have added all my ebooks to Calibre. Most of them are free from Drm.

I know not to mess with inside the Calibre folder.

A. Is it ok to delete the original ebooks? Was just wondering in case I decide to stop using Calibre at a later date.

B. If i give any ebooks to a friend do I just copy them out of the Calibre folder onto a memory stick? Or is there a special way - do i need the whole folder of each book?

Thanks
1. Your choice . I would move them to backup media, labeled 'Books Original'

2) Copyright issues aside. Send to Disk (to the pen drive) is easy
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
book64
Love reading
book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
1. Your choice . I would move them to backup media, labeled 'Books Original'

2) Copyright issues aside. Send to Disk (to the pen drive) is easy

1.Is that just to back them in the calibre folder? As now they have covers and tags with calibre

Or are they impossible to use if Calibre is not installed?
If I back up the whole folder can I use it with another program?
Will it still show the covers etc calibre found?

Last question, lol some drm free books I found and imported into calibre
However I find I do not want them myself. Can I save them separately on a folder on my pc, for a friend, or to re add to calibre maybe later?

2. i sent the whole 500 books calibre folder to pen drive It took 2 hours
Old 01-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
1.Is that just to back them in the calibre folder? As now they have covers and tags with calibre

Or are they impossible to use if Calibre is not installed?
If I back up the whole folder can I use it with another program?
Will it still show the covers etc calibre found?

Last question, lol some drm free books I found and imported into calibre
However I find I do not want them myself. Can I save them separately on a folder on my pc, for a friend, or to re add to calibre maybe later?

2. i sent the whole 500 books calibre folder to pen drive It took 2 hours
1) I thought you were discussing the Original book, Prior to adding to Calibre? I suggest a backup of those, in their original condition... Just in case.
1b) Backing up the Calibre Library folder is good. Everything is there except your preferences and plugins.

2) I suggest (right click) Move to Library (you select/make which Library via the arrow on the Library icon.)

2 hours is not bad. Pen drives are slow
Old 01-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
book64
Love reading

Quote:
1) I thought you were discussing the Original book, Prior to adding to Calibre? I suggest a backup of those, in their original condition... Just in case.
1b) Backing up the Calibre Library folder is good. Everything is there except your preferences and plugins.

2) I suggest (right click) Move to Library (you select/make which Library via the arrow on the Library icon.)

2 hours is not bad. Pen drives are slow
Thank you
Right click what to move to library?

Thought 2 hours was ages lol lol
Just cant figure out how to add new books now to my calibre backup folder without deleting it and re adding when I get new books
Problems problems
Advert
Old 01-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Thank you
Right click what to move to library?

Thought 2 hours was ages lol lol
Just cant figure out how to add new books now to my calibre backup folder without deleting it and re adding when I get new books
Problems problems
On The Book Title

The destination Library must exist.

If your backup folder is on a (Blue) Pen drive like mine, you can use Calibre to Copy to Library:BluLib (I renamed the Library folder on the Pen drive). You need to Switch (to existing) via the Library Icon arrow once to establish the linkage... Remember to switch back
Old 01-16-2012, 03:38 AM   #7
book64
Love reading

Quote:
On The Book Title

The destination Library must exist.

If your backup folder is on a (Blue) Pen drive like mine, you can use Calibre to Copy to Library:BluLib (I renamed the Library folder on the Pen drive). You need to Switch (to existing) via the Library Icon arrow once to establish the linkage... Remember to switch back
Thank you But not sure what you mean. A learner here
Old 01-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Thank you But not sure what you mean. A learner here
BluLib (in my case, the backup) is just another Library.
Copy to Library is the ONLY time you can have Calibre operate on multiple Libraries at the same time. (you don't get to see that Libray's contents, only the name)

All other times, you need to select which library you are working with.

Spend son time viewing Kovid's Tutorials.