Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #16
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
My bad. Guess I'm remembering wrong!
The original Kindle 1 had a mini-USB port -- perhaps that's what you were remembering.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The reason I have a clear memory of the K2 having a micro-USB connector is because it's the first one that I'd seen; all my other devices used mini-USB.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #18
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Because the cracks are appearing most often in the bottom corner(s), I'm thinking it may have to do with how tightly the Kindle is held while reading. There would be a tendency to put more pressure in that area, since the page-advance buttons are right there. And it's a natural place to grasp to balance the device too. This may be something to pay attention to, but this cracking shouldn't be happening, of course!

This doesn't really explain why some Kindles may arrive from the factory with this defect. I'm wondering if cold weather during shipment may be making the plastic more fragile and easier to crack?

I have the Amazon cover, and I usually hold it by cradling the cover itself, being careful not to grasp the device itself too tightly. It does help that I read while propped up in bed, so I don't really need to grip the device itself to hold it in place. If you read while in a supine position, that may be more challenging.

Last edited by DreamWriter; 01-21-2011 at 01:53 PM.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:53 PM   #19
bmacaskill
Enthusiast
bmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
Because the cracks are appearing most often in the bottom corner(s), I'm thinking it may have to do with how tightly the Kindle is held while reading. There would be a tendency to put more pressure in that area, since the page-advance buttons are right there. And it's a natural place to grasp to balance the device too. This may be something to pay attention to, but this cracking shouldn't be happening, of course!

This doesn't really explain why some Kindles may arrive from the factory with this defect. I'm wondering if cold weather during shipment may be making the plastic more fragile and easier to crack?

I have the Amazon cover, and I usually hold it by cradling the cover itself, being careful not to grasp the device itself too tightly. It does help that I read while propped up in bed, so I don't really need to grip the device itself to hold it in place. If you read while in a supine position, that may be more challenging.
OP here. I just received K3 #3 (replacement #2). No crack. It was ice-cold when I pulled it from between the doors at home (-11c Canada). Keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't crack at a later date.

I tried copying the contents of the original K3 to the new (uncracked) one, but I lost my collections (but not the books) -- e.g. all 85 books were at the "root" of the Home screen but no longer categorized by Collection. My place in each book *was* carried over.

Also, firmware on the new one was 3.02 whereas the old one had been 3.03.

Again, excellent delivery time from Amazon to Canada. Now I have to pay to ship two of them back! But of course, I'll be compensated for it.
bmacaskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:16 PM   #20
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacaskill View Post
I tried copying the contents of the original K3 to the new (uncracked) one, but I lost my collections (but not the books) -- e.g. all 85 books were at the "root" of the Home screen but no longer categorized by Collection. My place in each book *was* carried over.
Do your collections appear in the Archived Items list? I don't think it restores it unless you grab it off there.

If you've still got your old Kindle then you can grab the collections data file off that and put it onto your new Kindle. Assuming all the files are named the same and in the same locations then it should recreate everything.

Quote:
Also, firmware on the new one was 3.02 whereas the old one had been 3.03.
If its 3.0.2 (553210206) then it won't take the 3.0.3 update. Its a known issue at the moment and you'll have to wait for Amazon to make a new 3.0.3 or release 3.0.4.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:48 PM   #21
bmacaskill
Enthusiast
bmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Do your collections appear in the Archived Items list? I don't think it restores it unless you grab it off there.

If you've still got your old Kindle then you can grab the collections data file off that and put it onto your new Kindle. Assuming all the files are named the same and in the same locations then it should recreate everything.

If its 3.0.2 (553210206) then it won't take the 3.0.3 update. Its a known issue at the moment and you'll have to wait for Amazon to make a new 3.0.3 or release 3.0.4.
I grabbed the entire contents (i.e. entire file system) and didn't get the collections -- are you suggesting something else?

And yes, I am temporarily in possesion of three K3s. I'm tempted to read three books at the same time ;-)

I don't mind being without the 3.03 update, though I thought I could simply download it from amazon.
bmacaskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:55 AM   #22
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
I grabbed the entire contents (i.e. entire file system) and didn't get the collections -- are you suggesting something else?
Theres a hidden folder called system which contains a text file called collections.json which you need to copy across.

Quote:
I don't mind being without the 3.03 update, though I thought I could simply download it from amazon.
It is only if you're currently on 3.0.2 (553210206) That specific number in the brackets. If you're on the 3.0.2 (529960105) then you're fine and can use the 3.0.3 update from the Amazon website.

They did a newer version of 3.0.2 during manufacture for some reason and it isn't recognised by the 3.0.3 update. I've no idea what they changed as I don't have a Kindle with that version.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #23
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I got my 3.02 from Amazon when it was originally available as a beta on their site. Then it disappeared to be replaced by the long-running 3.03 beta - still not officially released. I just looked and it is the 3.0.2 (529960105). So I guess i could update if I wanted.

Can someone explain why I'd want to? Yes, I know these things can be subjective - like Everest - it is there. But I'd like a bit of info on what the 3.03 offers.

I do wish Amazon's upgrade were a full package and one could go back/forth if one discovered something was wrong. Anyone know - if things got bollixed up - does Amazon actually offer a full-scale upgrade to folks or does the unit need to be returned to them? That is, has Amazon ever offered a .bin that does the entire firmware "reinstall?"
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:37 PM   #24
WalkingDistance
Connoisseur
WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle 3
My first K3 had a crack on the top left corner, but it was replaced (because of something coming loose inside that was making my K3 constantly restart).

My second K3 has a small diagonal crack on the bottom left, but it hasn't affected the performance or use of my actual kindle so I just kept using it. Also, I only notice this crack when its held on a specific angle to the light.

Anyone know of these small cracks cause some issues with the kindle's usability besides aesthetics?
WalkingDistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:54 PM   #25
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I got my 3.02 from Amazon when it was originally available as a beta on their site. Then it disappeared to be replaced by the long-running 3.03 beta - still not officially released. I just looked and it is the 3.0.2 (529960105). So I guess i could update if I wanted.
3.0.1 and 3.0.2 are still on their website if you just tweak the URL slightly. If you updated to 3.0.2 yourself then you're fine. Its just the brand new units which started appearing at the end of 2010 and start of 2011 that seem to have this unusual 3.0.2. Amazon claim this new 3.0.2 as good as 3.0.3 but some changes are missing if some reports are to be believed.

Quote:
Can someone explain why I'd want to? Yes, I know these things can be subjective - like Everest - it is there. But I'd like a bit of info on what the 3.03 offers.
They updated the kernel, WiFi driver, USB controller driver, eInk driver, some backend framework libraries and the browser got updated. The main change you'll see is that the browser is less buggy. Amazon never released a list of what was changed or improved so this is just going from the patches inside the update file.

Quote:
I do wish Amazon's upgrade were a full package and one could go back/forth if one discovered something was wrong. Anyone know - if things got bollixed up - does Amazon actually offer a full-scale upgrade to folks or does the unit need to be returned to them? That is, has Amazon ever offered a .bin that does the entire firmware "reinstall?"
Yeah. The earlier Kindle units had that type of update but the K3 has always been patches. They've never made a full image of a K3.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:52 AM   #26
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
Mine also has the diagonal cracks. I just want to say that I read it in a cover almost all the time, and I don't squeeze too hard at all. I think I'll postpone asking for a replacement. I figure the longer I wait, the better chance that the replacement will have this problem resolved (improved manufacturing).
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:31 AM   #27
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
I'm sure some may be experiencing this issue from holding too tightly but that isn't the case for my and my wife's K3s. I just noticed that both of ours have a hairline crack about 1/2" to 3/4" long off the lower right-hand corner of the screen. It's just really odd that both of our Kindles have experienced this. I bought hers for her birthday back in October and she gave me mine for Christmas and they've been in cases since we took them out of the packaging. Neither of us really hold our Kindles at all; we hold the cases.

I'm not really sure if I should do anything at this point. I've read of users having their Amazon accounts banned for returning too many products, even for valid reasons. We both had to return our original unlighted K3 cases for the lockup/random reboot issue. Now both of our cases have cracks. We're not really experiencing any negative issues so I'm not sure if we should pursue it at this point. In fifteen years I've never experienced the first problem with Amazon Customer Support but after hearing of customers having their accounts banned, I'm a little concerned.

What do you guys think?

- Byron Followell
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:28 AM   #28
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
the people whose accounts were banned were really and truly abusing the system. the unlighted cases issue is well known and there is no way you would be penalized due to that. these cracks seem to be more and more common. reporting them to Amazon is the only way they can track an issue and consider a recall sort of policy
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #29
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
The cracks seem to occur at the lower corners of the screen/bezel junction. There is obviously some defect. Whether there is some pressure point in that area or the mold-form did not provide adequate strain relief at those 90 degree cut-outs, the cracks propagate from those areas. Also, having not read of similar issues with the white case, there may be something inherent in the composition of the graphite case's plastic or coloring agent that allows the cracking to occur.

I have read that some folks have opted to not get a replacement (refurbished unit) but to at least report the issue and note it on their account, so if it gets worse, they can follow up near the end of their warranty period.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #30
cathie
Connoisseur
cathie doesn't littercathie doesn't littercathie doesn't litter

Device: kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
I have read other accounts of similar cracking. Most (all???) have been in the graphite colored one.
after reading this thread I checked out my Kindle 3 for hairline cracks - I have a Graphite coloured one. No fractures
It freaked me out a bit when I managed to download some mp3 to play. Techno geek I am not, but I decided to play and explore all of the K3's abilities. I plugged in my headphones and no audio!! then it went into sleep mode!! Thankfully when I did a restart everything returned to normal.
However it has every so often, just recently started to either; turn back on after I have turned it off ;or do a re-start (the amazon/tree silhouette logo screen comes on). And it kind of creaks where the back seams meet at the top between the speakers.
At this point I would be lost without it, so I am just hoping it is just one of those things.
cathie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, canadian, crack, kindle 3