Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 12-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #31
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamfitz View Post
lol ok i feel stupid.

this is what is displayed on the screen once you hit table of contents in menu
1 0
2 1
3 3
4 5
5 7

left is what button you push and i think right is the page number it goes to.
It should be displaying the chapter headings. You have a stock Libre, right? I believe this confirms that it is a bug in the Libre firmware. It's sad because I have some PDF's that have 50+ chapters. Not seeing the titles is a pain.

...but other than that I think I like the Libre firmware better. And I'm looking forward to adding my own personal touches! Let's get the custom firmware started!

Last edited by Kralik; 12-17-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:07 PM   #32
hamfitz
Enthusiast
hamfitz began at the beginning.

Device: aluratek libre, sony prs 650, nook
yeah i have a stock libre with the new firmware. maybe the old firmware supports the pdf table of contents?
id like to see more fonts and more font/zoom sizes if you can customize it.
hamfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 07:22 PM   #33
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for testing! jetBook has more zoom options, but Libre has reflow, so take your pick...
Old 12-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #34
Kralik
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tselling View Post
FYI, I successfully flashed back to Jetbook v0.33h firmware after adding the file data/JL09 to the firmware. All disclaimers apply... it worked for mine but if it hoses yours, I am not responsible.

http://drop.io/libretojetbook
OK, just wanted to confirm that I successfully flashed back to the jetBook firmware from the Libre firmware. The PDF TOC bug irritated me enough that I think I'll stick with the jetBook firmware (and see what's coming in the next update). Also, I found that ePUB only resizes the title image in each book -- so the advantage I saw there was not as great as I had thought. But it was a fun experiment!
Old 12-21-2009, 06:28 AM   #35
hamfitz
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
OK, just wanted to confirm that I successfully flashed back to the jetBook firmware from the Libre firmware. The PDF TOC bug irritated me enough that I think I'll stick with the jetBook firmware (and see what's coming in the next update). Also, I found that ePUB only resizes the title image in each book -- so the advantage I saw there was not as great as I had thought. But it was a fun experiment!
hi,

i actually tried a few other pdfs and my textbook for immunology Table of Contents worked ok. I'm not sure why it works for some but not others.

If the ectaco firmware update trumps the libre firmware I think i will flash my libre to the ectaco firmware. Does current firmware from ectaco work with the TOC issues?
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 09:48 AM   #36
dls81
Enthusiast
dls81 began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamfitz View Post
hi,

i actually tried a few other pdfs and my textbook for immunology Table of Contents worked ok. I'm not sure why it works for some but not others.

If the ectaco firmware update trumps the libre firmware I think i will flash my libre to the ectaco firmware. Does current firmware from ectaco work with the TOC issues?
Which textbook for immunology are you using? Do you find reading a textbook on the libre/jetbook to be okay or tiresome? It just seems like it would be difficult on so small of a screen! What are you in school for? I'm hoping to get into PA school before too long.
dls81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:09 AM   #37
Kralik
Guru

No TOC issues with jetBook firmware, which is why I noticed it on the Libre. Actually, the jetBook has more PDF zoom/display options with the notable exception of no reflow. I'm not too concerned about Libre DRM support so that's not a factor for me.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:58 PM   #38
hamfitz
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dls81 View Post
Which textbook for immunology are you using? Do you find reading a textbook on the libre/jetbook to be okay or tiresome? It just seems like it would be difficult on so small of a screen! What are you in school for? I'm hoping to get into PA school before too long.
I think its like Kuby 4th edition. Technically you can read it if you use landscape mode and zoom in to read but I didn't really use it. I actually didn't need to read the textbook this semester since the exams mostly covered the powerpoints notes the teacher gave us. The reader is a good size if you convert powerpoint to pdf.
Going to school for BS in CLS.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #39
hamfitz
Enthusiast

Quote:
No TOC issues with jetBook firmware, which is why I noticed it on the Libre. Actually, the jetBook has more PDF zoom/display options with the notable exception of no reflow. I'm not too concerned about Libre DRM support so that's not a factor for me.
The old libre firmware had the pdf grid zoom thing. Is that the same as ectaco? I just wish the scrolling was more fluid with zoom.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:15 PM   #40
Kralik
Guru

Yes, the PDF grid (2x2 or 3x3) is there with the jetBook.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #41
RayL
RayL began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek
My Aluratek has v0.15k firmware and table of Content shows up ok but will not navigate to the page when selected! (It actually will bring you back to the eBook menu)
RayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:13 PM   #42
uRwhatUr
Groupie
uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayL View Post
My Aluratek has v0.15k firmware and table of Content shows up ok but will not navigate to the page when selected! (It actually will bring you back to the eBook menu)
I have a Libre with v0.15k firmware and the Table of Contents worked fine on the 2 .pdf books I tried.
uRwhatUr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:07 PM   #43
Kralik
Guru

Perhaps they fixed it! I was using version 0.15h and when I reported the bug to Aluratek, they acknowledged the problem and said that they would forward the information to the project manager. Now it's 0.15k, eh?

Anyone else with RayL's problem?
Old 01-20-2010, 09:06 PM   #44
RayL
RayL began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek
Smile

Quote:
Perhaps they fixed it! I was using version 0.15h and when I reported the bug to Aluratek, they acknowledged the problem and said that they would forward the information to the project manager. Now it's 0.15k, eh?

Anyone else with RayL's problem?
I tried a few more pdf files, I found some TOCs are actually working fine. I'm not sure if some TOCs don't have the pages linked properly on those that are not working.

BTW, I'm interested in turning my Libre pro to Jetbook firmware that has Chinese language support. Is there a thread in this forum that can give me some directions? I've tried both M218A+ and M218B firmware replacement. My Libre firmware upgrade process failed after a few moments. I actually got the message saying 'Firmware upgrade failed, try download again...' or something similar to that. Fortunately, it didn't freeze-up my Libre. Help!

Thanks
RayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:23 AM   #45
Kralik
Guru

You'd have to use the modified jetBook firmware that gets around the Libre's "cross-flashing" protection. Then... flash to Chinese. But it's all a bit risky.