Old 06-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
FreeBird
FreeBird doesn't litterFreeBird doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite WiFi
Kindle Paperwhite Firmware 5.3.6 available

Just to let you know:

Change log:
Improvements when buying from a book sample
While reading a sample of a book, you can view the price of the full book and purchase from the reading toolbar with one tap.

Download:
Direct download is >>> here <<<

I don't know if OTA is already available.

Have fun

FreeBird
FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've been wanting that feature.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
BugA
Enthusiast
BugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enough

Device: Prestigio Nobile PER3162BN, Kindle Paperwhite
After this update my PW started behaving pretty bad - responsiveness and screen refreshing speed dropped A LOT (like it does page refreshing in layers, with both old and new content being visible in one moment, also sometimes making the text uneven, like parts of it being pretty thin while other parts being bold), also doing a full page refresh upon each page turn (even though it`s disabled in reading settings)...

I tried to restart it, but to no avail. I`ll leave it for a while, maybe it is processing something...? (note - I only have a few books on it, so I`m not sure if any indexing could cause this, it didn`t happen with previous updates)

Last edited by BugA; 06-18-2013 at 02:18 PM.
BugA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
lizard king
lizard king began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
restart help with any problem in my case
lizard king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
BugA
Enthusiast
BugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enough

Unhappy

I tried with "Restart" from the menu, and it didn`t help. I tried with hard reset (holding the power button for 20 seconds), and it didn`t help. I tried with downgrading ("upgrading" back) to 5.3.5, it didn`t help. I installed 5.3.6 back and tried "Reset Device" from the menu, and it didn`t help (and I still have 5.3.6 installed, shouldn`t it revert back to original firmware?)...

My PW became very sluggish, takes ages to respond to a command, and the screen transition is painful to the eyes - full page refresh each time, with clearly visible "stages" of switching, where in one moment you get to see both old and new page content at once, all mixed up.

Help...? I`ll try removing some of the folders from to device (like "documents") to see if the update to 3.5.6 didn`t make any problematic changes inside, causing the PW to behave weird (but it bugs me that even "Reset Device" didn`t fix the issue, yet it didn`t remove all the folders, either).
Old 06-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
mfabry
mfabry began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
BugA, your Kindle might have became sluggish because it's re-indexing all the books.

BTW, My PW has been upgraded through OTA.
mfabry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
BugA
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

LOL, I fixed the issue following this post. I`m not sure whether to laugh or cry... :/ I`ll try updating to 5.3.6 again to see what happens.

What concerns me, beside this being a clear bug, is that it looks like the "sleep" mode activated during the period of inactivity (with cover being open) and the one triggered by closing the cover are not the same, or else simple closing of the cover would fix the issue, too :/

It`s not just about the bug triggering a full screen refresh on each page turn, but it makes the device pretty slow and sluggish (as described in previous posts). Could it reduce the battery life, too (if it`s some stuck background worker application)?

p.s. As I saw that some related this behavior to room temperature, I don`t know if it worths to mention that we had a pretty hot last few days (~ 40°C)... though I didn`t notice the weird behavior until I updated the firmware to 5.3.6 last night, and now the mentioned "let is sleep naturally" fix solved the issue (for now) without any climate changes

edit: mfabry, I have no books on it, I deleted everything from the device just to be sure that it`s not the indexing issue. But as I managed to fix the problem, it`s all good now, thanks anyway

Last edited by BugA; 06-19-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
BugA
Enthusiast

Update to 5.3.6 introduced the "each page refresh" issue again (though PW didn`t seem so sluggish this time, yet it was a bit slower than usual), and the fix worked again

Final result - updated to 5.3.6 successfully, and done playing... for now :P

edit: I rushed to call it working, it went back to each page refresh, and now even letting it fall asleep by itself does not help (it helped once, but as soon as I closed and reopened the cover it was back to each page refresh)... Tried with both 3.5.5 and 3.5.6. Could it be the heat in the end? We`ll see once it get a bit colder (as AC didn`t change much so far) :P Phew...

Last edited by BugA; 06-19-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #9
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugA View Post
I installed 5.3.6 back and tried "Reset Device" from the menu, and it didn`t help (and I still have 5.3.6 installed, shouldn`t it revert back to original firmware?)...
No. Invasion of the Body Snatchers. The little slot where the firmware goes totally replaces the original.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:28 AM   #10
fendesa
Enthusiast
fendesa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
My first impression, apart from the time for index (they happens in all the firmware updates), it seems to me much faster than before, both in the page change, and in the dictionary search.
fendesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #11
BugA
Enthusiast

@Fluribus: Ah, thanks for clarifying.

At the moment, it returned to normal for me (full page refresh after 6 pages or so). It was also normal this morning (yet not the night before), but after I came back from work this afternoon it was full refresh on each page turn (damn hot outside). After AC being on for a while, it went back to 6 page full refresh as it should.

If it`s really the heat bothering it that much, maybe it should be known about a bit more, like, officially? I don`t mind each page refreshing that much if it`s needed because of the current technology limits, but I really hate hidden "features", like overriding the page refresh option and defaulting it to each page full refresh if it`s a bit hot... :P
Old 06-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #12
MonJovi
MonJovi is faster than slow light.MonJovi is faster than slow light.MonJovi is faster than slow light.MonJovi is faster than slow light.MonJovi is faster than slow light.MonJovi is faster than slow light.MonJovi is faster than slow light.MonJovi is faster than slow light.MonJovi is faster than slow light.MonJovi is faster than slow light.MonJovi is faster than slow light.

Device: Paperwhite V1
The refresh-every-page-when-its-hot issue has been there since I got my PW. I've upgraded FW's from 5.3.1 to 5.3.3, 5.3.4 and 5.3.5 (I haven't upgraded to 5.3.6 yet) and it all behaved the same - under hot temperature (35C and up?) I get the every page refresh even if it's disabled. When Im in a cool, air conditioned room, it behaves normally - every 6 pages refresh. I've also heard the same cases from other PW users in my country (I'm from Asia).
MonJovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #13
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
No issues for me after upgrading
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #14
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I'll wait and let my PW update via WiFi.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote