Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
Soph94
Soph94 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Astak EZ Reader 6"/Pocket Pro 5" vs PocketBook 360

Hi!
Am very glad I found this forum - learning a lot before committing to my first ebook reader purchase!
I've narrowed it down to 3 options - the Astak PocketPro 5", the Astak EZ Reader 6" or the PocketBook 360. Which do people recommend?
I'm a lefthander, so the PocketBook 360 really appeals, plus I love the design and lack of buttons. Are there any lefties out there who have an Astak?
I'm also just not sure about a 5" screen, since it'll be for reading (mostly fiction) at home as well as travelling. A 5" screen would also mean more page turns, shorter battery life and generally higher wear and tear?

I'm in Oz, so have to purchase any of these models sight unseen.
Would appreciate any advice!
Soph94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:21 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85023

hope that helps
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
emt
Nameless Being

I Have Both and...

Pocketbook 360 wins hands down. The screen is significantly more contrasty and refreshes faster, particularly with FBReader.

More importantly, you can organize your books into folders on an SD card (I do that with Windows Explorer) and access them perfectly on the PB360.

And the accelerometer allows for page turns by just turning the PB 30 degrees in either direction so you don't have to use any buttons at all.

Look into the PB forum here for more info
Old 06-09-2010, 11:16 PM   #4
Soph94

Thanks heaps for that - didn't realise there was already so much info on the forums too!

The PocketBook 360 is starting to win me over, though I think I need to have a play around to work out if I'm really going to be happy reading off a 5" screen - going to download an ebook on my hubby's Nintendo DS (which has an even smaller screen) as a test and see how I like it.

The PB360 is just such a nicer looking gadget too, and all those buttons on the Astak would be annoying I think.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:22 PM   #5
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
PB360 is a clear winner here. Better firmware (programming teams), brighter future and far more professional staff. Had I not gotten a deal on my 2nd K2i of $159 new from Amazon I was already going to buy the PB360 earlier this year. For me, the PB360 is the best designed device for portable recreational reading of novels and what not.

The single drawback for my needs in the PB360 is the louder than normal button click sound when using the large buttons. There are a couple vids on the YouTube demonstrating this but from what people have told me, it's not near as loud as it sounds.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
If I may jump in here...

As a new PB360 owner, I am completely prejudiced towards it, so you may have to take my comments with a grain of salt. But, along with all the excellent points already mentioned, I think there are three good reasons to get it:

1) The ingenious cover! No other device has a built-in cover like it and this makes the PB360 a truly portable device, in that the cover protects it perfectly. Plus, it doesn't add much to the weight, it clips to the back while you are reading it and it is hard plastic. Imagine carrying around a CD case. That's about how big the PB360 is. It fits into the pocket of my trousers, shorts, etc. All with hardly a care because I know the cover will protect it.

2) The ergonomics. I like having, essentially, nothing but screen. With the buttons all on one side, there is nothing else to the device but the 5" screen. And, as the buttons are programmable, you can set them up to operate almost any way you choose. As the PB360 does rotate (360 degrees, ha ha), the buttons rotate with, so you don't have to remember which button does what. They stay the same. I currently have four buttons programmed to do nothing but go forward (the LH and RH side of the silver button and the 2 wing buttons) and I constantly switch my PB360 [easily] from my left hand to the right. Very comfortable to hold and use as essentially, the buttons are anywhere you want to hold it.

3) The versatility. Between the company provided firmware and then the ability to hack it (FBreader180, the Adobe hack, etc.) have made this one of the best things to use to read darn near everything. Granted, it does not do well with PDF - but I only read text novels 99% of the time - and reflow doesn't do that bad. Then there is the folder management system, the themes (to customize your own views), etc. I could go on forever ...

Yes, there is a click when you press the buttons - but not as loud as it sounds in any video. However, I don't notice it when I am reading (and I've already read 20+ books on this ... or more). Actually, now that I think of it, I LIKE that the buttons are not so sensitive and that I can tell I've pressed a button. Less confusion for me...

As always, this is my personal opinion. But, as a recent joiner of the Mighty Midget/Mighty Mouse/PB360 club - I am happy with my choice.

Good luck to you in your search.

Marilyn

P.S. And, I read on the 5" screen more than I read on my Irex's 8" screen. You just have to press the page turn button more often (I've enlarged my fonts, which I've selected for myself, thanks to the PB360 programming). Honestly, I don't notice the screen difference once I am engrossed in the book.
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Just to pipe in..... The Aztek PP is a great reader, I wouldn't say it loses hands down. The big buttons on the 360 i would find too Noisy from what I hear. The PP has a great scroll wheel and has a form factor just as good as the 360..

You should also consider the Bookeen Opus.. I have used that for a day and found it to be a great device as well.

All in all all the 5 inch devices are good machines....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:33 PM   #8
Soph94

Yes, I've just discovered the Cybook Opus as well, which has thrown another contender into the mix...making me more confused! It sounds like it does much the same as the other two I'm looking at (I don't need the bells and whistles like an mp3 player).
Tempted by the Opus cos it seems a bit cheaper than the PB360, but have seen a few complaints about customer support. Any thoughts?
Old 06-10-2010, 09:37 PM   #9
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

I think HarryT owns or had owned both devices. He might have a good perspective on the two thanks to hands on use. I add I "think" he owns both and could be misremembering.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #10
Soph94

Thanks folks, I have finally made a decision and gone with the Cybook Opus - it seems to have everything I want and at a price I'm happy to pay. Will let you know how it goes!
If it gets used as much as I think it will, I may even upgrade to a PB 360 next time
Now I just need to start downloading some books!
Old 06-15-2010, 02:08 AM   #11
brecklundin
Banned

I think you made a wonderul choice. The Opus is a really nice reader and you'll be happy with it for a long while. Remember it's just to read books, for the most part and most "upgrades" come in the form of firmware not hardware so don't get caught up into the whole "...new and improved..." marketing wonk double speak.