Notices

Old 01-06-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
steven2go
steven2go began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
how to keep big font while read pdf

hi all, just got my 505 today ,just one problem:
while reading a pdf file, after I pressed zoom in , I read the page ok
but after turning a page, the font went back to normal , and I have to press zoom in again.
this is really annoying , can this problem be solved?

many thanks
Steven
steven2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:47 AM   #2
ntgcmlfu
ntgcmlfu began at the beginning.

Device: N/a
sorry for interrupt, but if anyone can also tell me how to maximise the font from a PDF file without zooming to M or L in reader. I mean, for 1 normal PDF, there will be margins. After stripping all of those out, the font still appears to be small and hard to read from PDF. Any idea? Export to DOC?
ntgcmlfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2009, 05:32 AM   #3
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
The only other option would be to switch to viewing it as landscape, which will show half pages. Just press and hold the 'zoom' button to toggle back & forth.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:29 AM   #4
steven2go

back to my question please?
Old 01-06-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven2go View Post
back to my question please?
I've read several pdfs on my 505 over the past year and never experienced your particular problem with the zoom. Does the pdf contain charts or pictures that can't be reflowed?

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2009, 09:21 AM   #6
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
What type of PDF do you have?
Is this pure text, or is it a 2 payer PDF (image of the page abobe and text under)?
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #7
ntgcmlfu
ntgcmlfu began at the beginning.

Device: N/a
Does it happen to just 1 or all the PDFs you have?
ntgcmlfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:07 PM   #8
steven2go

just this one pdf behaves like this, it's mostly text, title is ' black swan'
it behaves like this:
it shows a page in small font first, and after turning , it shows the same page in big font.
seems the page in small font is just a 'thumbnail view' and then it displays the page in big font ok.
is this normal?
Old 01-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven2go View Post
hi all, just got my 505 today ,just one problem:
while reading a pdf file, after I pressed zoom in , I read the page ok
but after turning a page, the font went back to normal , and I have to press zoom in again.
this is really annoying , can this problem be solved?
many thanks
Steven
Steven the problem sounds like the old firmware. What version do hou have?
A quick check the old PDF viewer only had two zoom modes S/M. The new mode has three.
One last point, some PDF pages don't render in the re flow if the are too complicated. If the latter is the case the only option is to reformat using a tool like papercropper
=X=

Last edited by =X=; 01-07-2009 at 12:30 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:57 PM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgcmlfu View Post
sorry for interrupt, but if anyone can also tell me how to maximise the font from a PDF file without zooming to M or L in reader. I mean, for 1 normal PDF, there will be margins. After stripping all of those out, the font still appears to be small and hard to read from PDF. Any idea? Export to DOC?
The best advice depends on what your target reading platform is.

If you don't have a professional PDF editing tool there are ways to modify the PDF. Take look at a mobileread thread (Poor mans way to modify PDF ...), though it's not for the faint of heart.

There are also many other tools that will reformat the PDF to make them viewable on a reader. MobiCreator creates very nice HTML form PDF. Also there are tools like PDFRead and PaperCropper that convert the text to image and enlarge the text for optimal reading.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:41 PM   #11
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Steven2go

Do this test: in your desktop PDF reader zoom the pdf to 300%, do the letters show perfect smooth design or do they sow a irregular line?
Old 01-09-2009, 01:06 AM   #12
steven2go

=x= , my rom version is 1.1.00.8040, too old?
DDHarriman , I zoom to large( this is 300%) the letters do seem smooth

thanks the help of you two
Old 01-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #13
DDHarriman
Guru

Hi

The last US firmware version is: 1.1.00.18040.
One can get it here: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...d=3622&os_id=7

You write that you have 1.1.00.8040.
Now it’s missing one number, so probably it was just bad writing and you do have that newer firmware for your reader.

By your answer about the look of the letters, you have a real text pdf and not an image with text under one.
Being so, just checking the actual file could enlighten more about this situation.

Best,
Old 01-10-2009, 12:11 AM   #14
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
The problem could be with reflow function with some PDF data,,
I have several PDFs that have the problem with the first page. It can not be zoomed to M or L but the rest are fine.
Then if I re-create those PDF with Severla converting techniques. The problem is gone.
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote