Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader
FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2; Sony PRS-350
Can the T-3 fully access the Sony Store in the US?

I'm willing to pay a little more for a T-3 and I'm in the US. Shopereaders.com sells them. Will Sony lock me out based on my location when I purchase books at the reader site through the T-3?

Has anyone done this?

edit: Thanks, but *** Never mind. *** shopereaders won't ship it to the US after all.

Last edited by FacebookVirus; 10-14-2013 at 10:18 AM.
FacebookVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
Bummer. I was considering this.
--MH
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader
FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynabook View Post
Bummer. I was considering this.
--MH
Yes, it's frustrating. We're probably two of the population of ten bothered by this, but when my T-1 finally dies I'm ereader homeless.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
Perhaps we can find some kindly Canadian soul (I hear they are really helpful people) who would accept the reader at their address and ship it on to us for a giftcard. Certainly you can buy the reader from Futureshop.com for far less than $180 and give a gift card to cover shipping and as a thank you. Just a thought.
--MH
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader

Yes. Thanks for the link.

I'm willing to do this even without knowing the answer about Sony's reader store. Maybe starting a thread in another section here would be the next step.
Advert
Old 10-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacebookVirus View Post
edit: Thanks, but *** Never mind. *** shopereaders won't ship it to the US after all.
Did you try an order to find that out or something? I know folks have gotten devices from them sent to the US in the past and it lets me check shipping charges to my state and stuff. Just curious as I was under the impression that this would be a way to get a T3 (although I shy at the $195.36 price w/ shipping).

In another thread, IIRC, someone from Canada said something about being able to choose between the US and Canadian stores on setup. If I can find the post I'll post a link.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader

Hmm. It displayed only Canadian shipping options, but maybe I gave up too soon.

edit: I chose my location as US and selected the state, but these are the shipping options available to me. The list doesn't scroll up our down.

Can't add pics here. All this BS is seriously interfering with my reading time.

Last edited by FacebookVirus; 10-14-2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: pic added
Old 10-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Odd, it lets me choose US, my state and zip and gives me a bunch of shipping options.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	t3.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	113318  

Last edited by AnemicOak; 10-14-2013 at 12:57 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader

The pic I posted was Canadian addresses only. I'm on mobile but that shouldn't matter.

Incidentally, I understand the posting rules, and have no problem with MR. Just frustrated.

Maybe this is an opportunity for me to look more closely at easier - and less expensive - options for me.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
I am in Canada but have a US Sony account. You can choose US as your location on the Reader and yes you can fully access the Sony store on the reader. (that was me that posted that earlier)

As a sidenote regarding shipping from Canada to the US. Canada Post is EXTREMELY expensive! Ridiculously so. You guys are used to USPS prices. To ship that from Canada & do it properly in a well packed box would probably be $50-ish. I hate Canada Post with a passion!

If you're near a border, go for a drive! You guys have a $200 a day cross-border purchase limit. There's a Sony store right at the Niagara Falls Canada border crossing. It's in our so-called outlet mall. Go buy it there & enjoy!

I find there are differences between mobile sites and full websites so don't just use the mobile site. I find them to be more restricted.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmm. It displayed only Canadian shipping options, but maybe I gave up too soon.

edit: I chose my location as US and selected the state, but these are the shipping options available to me. The list doesn't scroll up our down.

Um...that would be because Shopereaders is IN Canada. They will ship the item to you via Canada Post. If you read their about page it says they're located in Vancouver, BC. You're not going to get USPS options because they don't have access to that. They ship with Canada Post.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #12
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
I am in Canada but have a US Sony account. You can choose US as your location on the Reader and yes you can fully access the Sony store on the reader. (that was me that posted that earlier)

As a sidenote regarding shipping from Canada to the US. Canada Post is EXTREMELY expensive! Ridiculously so. You guys are used to USPS prices. To ship that from Canada & do it properly in a well packed box would probably be $50-ish. I hate Canada Post with a passion!

If you're near a border, go for a drive! You guys have a $200 a day cross-border purchase limit. There's a Sony store right at the Niagara Falls Canada border crossing. It's in our so-called outlet mall. Go buy it there & enjoy!

I find there are differences between mobile sites and full websites so don't just use the mobile site. I find them to be more restricted.
Thanks! Wish I could go for drive and get one, but I'm several states away. It's sure to be even more expensive than Canada post.

For now, I've decided if I get a new reader it will be a $69 Kindle at the local Best Buy, and I'm not even going to worry about its proprietary format with DRM.

For a couple of years I've been an Apprentice, but I'd like to simplify the process. This is the most practical way.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #13
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Um...that would be because Shopereaders is IN Canada. They will ship the item to you via Canada Post. If you read their about page it says they're located in Vancouver, BC. You're not going to get USPS options because they don't have access to that. They ship with Canada Post.
Interesting, but it's not clear to me why US options also appear depending on the buyer.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #14
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

Quote:
Interesting, but it's not clear to me why US options also appear depending on the buyer.
I don't think you're understanding. You're not getting US options, as in USPS Priority Mail services etc. You're getting shipping services offered to residents of the United States or wherever country you enter you want the item shipped to but they're still all being shipped through Canada Post.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #15
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader

You're right. That makes no sense to me.

Since I'm no longer interested in the purchase anyway, I won't bother.

edit: Thanks to all for your advice.

Last edited by FacebookVirus; 10-14-2013 at 03:44 PM.

Tags
sony t-3, usa, wifi