Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #16
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Is this only available on the device? Can't look through the list on the web site? UGH. I'll probably never use it if that's the case.

Ok, just checked it out. Very cool. I think you can only borrow 1 title at a time, though.

Oh....once a month! I hope that will change LOL
Yes , I think you actually need to own a Kindle, which makes perfect sense to me. Plus being Amazon Prime subscriber.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #17
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
A free subscription (trial, shared, etc) doesn't qualify you for any of the extra "paid" perks (movies, library).
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 09:40 AM   #18
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
A free subscription (trial, shared, etc) doesn't qualify you for any of the extra "paid" perks (movies, library).
Are you sure about that? Because on the online page at Amazon which touts this it says something like 'So start your free trial today!' I'm thinking the lending thing at least is available with the free trial - maybe the movies too. After all, the point of the free trial is to give you a taste so that you love it so much you opt to continue.

And the library with no due date! Yay and yay and yay! Although I too would wish for more than one book a month, but still -
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #19
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Are the publishers allowing this?
If you mean the BPHs, of course not.
The Price-Fix Six are obsessed with maintaining the "perceived value" of their catalogs and worried about damage to their ties to other (fruity?) retailers.

Other, smarter, retailers see it as a nice marketing move, akin to the BAEN FREE LIBRARY.

Details at Andrys Basten's Blog:
http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2011...=Google+Reader

One interesting detail: some of the books in the library, Amazon buys copies at wholesale to lend out, to prove to the publisher it is a low volume effort that won't hurt sales.

Its a nice value add to Prime but more of an experiment to gather data on how people use it and how it might sales. Don't think many people will be buying Kindles and subscribing to Prime just to get into the library. But it might sell a couple of Kindoes to Prime customers and vice-versa.

Edit: I wonder if they'll rotate available titles or allow self-publishers to opt-in.

Last edited by fjtorres; 11-03-2011 at 09:56 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:10 AM   #20
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
i'd sure like to see a way to search the library ebooks, rather than having to go through page after page with only a few ebooks marked with prime.
I would too, but I think there's a way to do so in the Kindle Store on your Kindle.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I guess it is a good thing that I have a spare Kindle sitting at home since I read on my iPhone and iPad...
this Amazon Prime thing is getting better every time
From the Kindle Owners' Lending Library page:

If you're not a Prime member, start your one month free trial today.

Hover your mouse over that url and what do you see? amazon.com/kindleprime

I see a name change coming our way soon -- Kindle Prime
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #22
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
It's good in theory, but I wonder why Amazon is only allowing users to "borrow" one book at a time?

It would seem better to simply allow prime members a free book each month with the possibility of more books per month if the members pay a little extra. I suppose that will come soon enough though.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #23
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
From the Kindle Owners' Lending Library page:

If you're not a Prime member, start your one month free trial today.

Hover your mouse over that url and what do you see? amazon.com/kindleprime

I see a name change coming our way soon -- Kindle Prime
My avatar says, "Hmmmmm....."
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #24
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Making lending only available on Kindles and the Fire is a strong differentiation move on Amazon's part-curious to see what else they hold back for just their devices. (And another great reason to fork Android-easier to control which devices get which features)
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #25
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Dammit!

I've been trying to find reasons not to join the Bezos Collective, but maybe....
Resistance is futile...
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #26
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
$75 for prime plus $79 for the cheapest kindle...I don't think 1 book per month to borrow is worth $150 for me, as I can get 10 at a time from the public library free. It's a decent perk for people who already own the kindle and subscribe to prime, though!
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #27
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
$75 for prime plus $79 for the cheapest kindle...I don't think 1 book per month to borrow is worth $150 for me, as I can get 10 at a time from the public library free. It's a decent perk for people who already own the kindle and subscribe to prime, though!
$39 for students. Don't know if that makes a difference to some. Also, many aren't able to check out a book on demand from their library due to consistent waitlists.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #28
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Probably intentionally announced before Barnes and Noble's big event on Monday. Nice move.
More like a checkmate! Your move..

Amazon seems to be playing hardball now..

Hopefully B&N doesn't fall to relying on spec hikes to compete the way Samsung does..
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #29
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
If you buy a Kindle Fire that also comes with one month of Prime membership as well.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #30
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I'm disappointed that on the web site there's no single place to go to see all the books participating. You can do it on the device, but it's clunky and slower. I don't see why Amazon wouldn't implement this on the site itself.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote