Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-14-2010, 11:49 AM   #16
Pregasviel
Pregasviel began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have what we can't call an issue yet, but i ordered a decal girl skin for my future PRS 950 last thursday but when i go on the website to check the order status, it still shows "in production" ...a little long for two pieces of sticky paper. I do not know if it's usual for this site, It's the first time i buy a skin for a device.

For those who maybe ordered last week, is it the same situation for you?
Pregasviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:40 PM   #17
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
15% off code, good until the 18th.
15THOUSAND
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 07:50 AM   #18
Bill_D
Nameless Being

Shiny parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pregasviel View Post
I have what we can't call an issue yet, but i ordered a decal girl skin for my future PRS 950 last thursday but when i go on the website to check the order status, it still shows "in production" ...a little long for two pieces of sticky paper. I do not know if it's usual for this site, It's the first time i buy a skin for a device.

For those who maybe ordered last week, is it the same situation for you?
Pregasviel,

You ever get that skin? I'd love to see some pix. I just ordered a 'black woodgrain' skin from Decalgirls and am curious to see if it covers any of the chrome on the top, bottom, or sides. I wouldn't trade my 950 for the world, these eReaders are absolutely the best on the market in every way.....except for the shiny aluminum body and all the chrome, what the heck was Sony thinking?? Once I get it black it'll be PERFECT.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #19
Pregasviel
Pregasviel began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi Bill D, happy to hear that you love your device, i love mine too, i had the kindle 3 and there is not comparison, the PRS 950 is at the top...love the way it displays pdf for an ereader, not perfect but far better than any other devices. Like you, I did not love the chrome color so much, so i bought a skin. I uploaded some pics for you as you asked me, i hope it will work as i'm not familiar with upload services! Sorry for the poor quality but i just have an iphone 3G and it's not excellent ( i was even more concious of that when i was at the Paris motor World Show!) Hope it will permit you to have an idea about the skin ! For information, i've chosen a matte gloss finish for 5 extra $...an anti glare protection!

Front:

I did a bad job at the corner near the stylus, it had quite disappointed me at the moment, i thought that it was not hands at the end of my arms but more a thing like a hammer or something else! I tried to make it less visible, i won't touch this corner anymore, it could be worst. But the skins is just nice!

Back:

Front with wallpaper in sleep mode:

the wallpaper fits perfectly, i was impressed!
Pregasviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:50 AM   #20
tommylander
tommylander doesn't littertommylander doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-950
Hi, I actually got a Song of the Sky skin (matte, special order for the 950) for my Sony, and I'm quite happy with it. I too wasn't happy about the the silver aluminum, especially it would reflect glare when close to a light.

So I ordered the skin from Decalgirl, and I must say, it was trickier to put on that I expected, and I definitely recommend that you have another set of hands to help you do it. After a couple of tries, I got the skin on, and at first, I was a bit disappointed that the skin doesn't go all the way to the reading screen (you're going to have a tiny bit of silver left framing the screen, and the chrome won't be covered, either). But after using it for a while, I've grown to really like it. There's no more glare, I love the black and blue color combo MUCH more than the previous all silver. Also, the skin itself looks very cool and well-made. So overall, I don't regret buying my skin at all.

Last edited by tommylander; 01-01-2011 at 10:01 AM.
tommylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #21
jswinden
Nameless Being

Yuk! Glad I didn't waste my money on one of those. Too much side chrome and button chrome still shows. Sony really screwed up by only offering silver with chrome trim.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #22
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Thanks for posting pictures, tommylander and Pregasviel. I too am a little disappointed at the amount of silver showing near the screen and at the edges, that's not what it looks like on their website. It's nice to see the aurora one in particular, that's one I've been thinking about.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:41 PM   #23
Bill_D
Nameless Being

Still a bit shiny

Wow! Those are some cool skins. Thanks for the posts. I’d rather the skin not have the gap around the screen but it's narrow really doesn’t bother me too much, 99% of the silver is still covered so I’m sure the aluminum won’t be bothersome any longer…that’s infinitely better.

I am a bit disappointed that it doesn’t cover any of the side chrome though. Guess I’ll have to go another route on that particular problem……tape, paint, Brillo Pad, Sharpie .

The cost was a bit crazy, or at least the way they add it up. Mine was $32 by the time all was done. Extra $5 for the custom color, extra $5 for matte??, and $7 for shipping. All those numbers seem a little high but they’re the only game in town so what are you going to do. Seems it would have been an easier pill to swallow if they had just charged 30 for the skin and 2 for shipping (I must have 5 or 6 $30 covers for my iPhone laying around the house).

Thanks again for posting the pix Pregasviel and Tommylander. I can’t wait to get mine!!
Old 01-01-2011, 03:47 PM   #24
natasha_fawn
Evangelist

As far as shipping costs go, they are supposed (according to their website) to have a cheapo shipping method, but it doesn't show up in checkout. See here. I was told a couple of weeks ago on their live chat to call in to order to get the cheap shipping. They also sometimes have coupon codes, which are posted on their facebook page. (I don't have facebook, but it's easy to look anyway.)
Old 01-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #25
latexsalesman
Enthusiast
latexsalesman doesn't litterlatexsalesman doesn't litter

Device: Pw2 @ Retina Mini
My awesome skin!!!

I want to be your LatexSalesman!!!
latexsalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #26
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #27
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question!!

Why put the DecalGirl skin on the back of the PRS 950 if it resides in the Sony cover (thus the back never shows)?
Old 01-02-2011, 09:42 PM   #28
Bill_D
Nameless Being

latexsalesman,

That is an awesome skin! Makes me kinda wish I'd have chosen that one.
K3, iPad, and a 950...wow...you dont like reading do you?
Old 01-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #29
natasha_fawn
Evangelist

Just a heads up, DecalGirl has a new coupon through Friday, NEWYEAR for buy one get one half off. (Not needing more than one, this is useless for me, but maybe one of you folks is looking at skins for other things too.)

There's also a 10% off code floating around, DECAL10.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #30
petercreasey
Wizard

I'm still wondering why to put a skin on the back of a 950 when it is always kept in a Sony cover (which, of course, hides the back of the 950).

Besides the absence of a reason to put the skin on the back, it seems as though the skin on the back would make the 950 bulkier and thus not as good of a fit in the Sony cover.