Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-10-2009, 03:59 AM   #1
wmac
wmac began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Kindle DX too fragile?

Hello,

I was looking at the reviews on Kindle DX and I see a considerable number of users are unhappy of it being too fragile and that their device has totally stopped functioning after an accidental drop or putting a few books on it.

I currently have a PRS-505 (obtained a week ago) but I found it is too small for PDF files (I have hundreds of technical papers and books to read).

Considering that I stay in Asia and I buy from Ebay (no warranty will be available) I wanted to know whether there is a high risk of losing the device very easily?

Thanks,
Mac
wmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:04 AM   #2
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I have two 505's and a 500. I got the DX the day it came out. I keep it in the binder holder. It has fallen on the floor two or three times from waist level. Never a problem. It works without a glitch. Am reading more than ever on the bigger screen although I do miss the slightly more contrasty screen of the 505. Of course the risk of losing the device depends on how forgetful you are. ;-)
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 07:19 AM   #3
wmac
wmac began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
Of course the risk of losing the device depends on how forgetful you are. ;-)

Thanks for your comment. I guess even Sony has the chance of being damaged if it is being dropped from a higher level.
wmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Mine has been working flawlessly since the day it was released. Has been dropped onto hard wood floors from above waist height and still works flawlessly.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:10 PM   #5
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Mine has been dropped about 5 times onto the desk or onto the carpeted flaw and it's still running perfectly. I think a good drop onto concrete or any encounter with water might be different though
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #6
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I haven't had any problems with my Kindle DX at all. However, it does make some disturbing creaking noises when I shift it from one hand to another as I read. I can't say it is too fragile, as I've had no problems whatsoever, but it certainly feels like my Kindle 1 is sturdier. Bottom line though -- I prefer the Kindle DX by far.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:31 AM   #7
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmac View Post
Hello,

I was looking at the reviews on Kindle DX and I see a considerable number of users are unhappy of it being too fragile and that their device has totally stopped functioning after an accidental drop or putting a few books on it.

I currently have a PRS-505 (obtained a week ago) but I found it is too small for PDF files (I have hundreds of technical papers and books to read).

Considering that I stay in Asia and I buy from Ebay (no warranty will be available) I wanted to know whether there is a high risk of losing the device very easily?

Thanks,
Mac
If you're that worried, I'd consider waiting for the Plastic Logic reader to come out. By virtue of its flexible screen based in soft plastics, it should be more durable (at least, the screen party should be) and less prone to breaking from droppage.

That said, I'm sure a KDX is no worse than any other $500 screen-bearing electronics you might drop.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:44 AM   #8
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheryjensen View Post
If you're that worried, I'd consider waiting for the Plastic Logic reader to come out. By virtue of its flexible screen based in soft plastics, it should be more durable (at least, the screen party should be) and less prone to breaking from droppage.

That said, I'm sure a KDX is no worse than any other $500 screen-bearing electronics you might drop.
That's a good idea since you are in Asia, Plastic Logic will have wifi as well as a 3G.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:47 PM   #9
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
This poor bastard has fallen to the floor many times, so I am not surprised it is showing some wear. But nothing has broken yet and it works like just fine.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote