Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
trae
trae began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
agh! ascm files from library - READER CANT READ

gah! pdf files from library - can download them to digital editions, then transfer to my sony library, no problem. can read them IN the library, off my laptop, but my reader says 'protected page' and won't let me read it.

i thought maybe if i resaved the pdf in another version or something, that would help - but i can't figure out how to open the acsm files! they go straight to digital editions, which doesn't let me drag to desktop or anything.

why isn't my reader reading? please help. i'm dropping a fortune on ebooks, when i could be getting them from the library! my library only offers some books in epub, the rest are pdf.

any help would be greatly appreciated by both me and my pocket book!
trae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Welcome to mobileread, trae!

Have you authorised your reader with the sony library (or digital editions)? It sounds like you haven't.

Um... pocket book...? Do you have a pocket book or a sony reader? They are two completely different devices.

The acsm is a small file that adobe digital editions reads to get to the epub. (ok, that was a very non-technical description). What you need to do is find the epub file itself, which will most probably be in the <your username>/documents/my digital editions folder.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
trae

i meant pocket book as in wallet....

my reader is authorized with the sony library. my digital editions is authorized with my computer. i can get the files into digital editions, and i can transfer them to my library AND my reader.

but i can't read them on my reader - just my library.

but thank you for your reply.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by trae View Post
gah! pdf files from library - can download them to digital editions, then transfer to my sony library, no problem. can read them IN the library, off my laptop, but my reader says 'protected page' and won't let me read it.
Welcome to MR, trae. Sorry your first post is about a problem.

From my understanding... Library books are DRM pdf and DRM ePub. I have read posts that say only one DRM version can be on the Reader at a time. So you have to load and read the Library DRM pdfs or load and read the Library DRM ePubs. Both versions can't be on your Reader at once. This is ONLY with Library books.

Quote:
i thought maybe if i resaved the pdf in another version or something, that would help - but i can't figure out how to open the acsm files! they go straight to digital editions, which doesn't let me drag to desktop or anything.

why isn't my reader reading? please help. i'm dropping a fortune on ebooks, when i could be getting them from the library! my library only offers some books in epub, the rest are pdf.

any help would be greatly appreciated by both me and my pocket book!
Are you able to read other DRM'd books on your Reader?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #5
trae

thanks, dream - honestly, i have no idea re: drm'd books!

i thought what you were saying was that if i have a library epub book on my reader, i can't read a library pdf... but i just deleted the epub library books off both the library and reader, and it still shows 'protected page' in my reader when i tried to open the library pdf....

what i don't understand about my 600 could fill an enclypedia....
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Don't give up yet.. Every new device has a learning curve

If you can read the Library DRM ePub then there should be no problem reading the Library DRM pdf when it is the only one on the Reader. Having both in the Sony Reader Library shouldn't make any difference.

humm... I may have to go searching on MR for some answers...

EDIT: went searching and found this...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=639952&postcount=28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookfanmd View Post
I just got off a chat with Sony support. It is a known issue and here is their response:

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/d...nalId=C1008686

A Protected Page! error occurs on the Reader when opening a borrowed book that is in the ePub or PDF format.

Solution

This may happen when borrowed Adobe DRM-protected ePub and PDF eBooks exist on the Reader at the same time. Follow this procedure to correct this issue:

Delete all borrowed books from the Reader.

Verify that all borrowed books are in the same format (either ePub or PDF) before transferring them back to the Reader.

I did request a firmware update to correct the problem but won't hold my breath. I do not know how to free the epubs from their DRM. Can someone please PM me with help?

Thanks.
and this... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=719919&postcount=29

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarc View Post
Running into this "protected page" issue, I found this thread - in my case I've a Sony PRS-300, and using SFPL.org to check out books from my local library ... some in PDF, some in EPUB, all presumably with DRM protection.

If the last book I transfer to the reader is EPUB, then I can read EPUB formats, but not the PDFs; if I recheckout a PDF, then all the PDF's become accessible, while EPUBs are now not.

I'm fkn stunned that Sony's official response is to "delete all and only use one format" ... seriously?

Seems it's been over 1/2 year since this thread was started, but judging from the google results on "protected page," this issue has been going on for much longer - anyone have any updates on this?

I'm loathe to resort to stripping DRM from these books, but if Sony doesn't resolve this bug, what choice do people have?!?

Last edited by dreams; 01-02-2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: found info and links for possible help
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
jrd4849
jrd4849 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch
Quote:
i meant pocket book as in wallet....

my reader is authorized with the sony library. my digital editions is authorized with my computer. i can get the files into digital editions, and i can transfer them to my library AND my reader.

but i can't read them on my reader - just my library.

but thank you for your reply.
But is your reader itself authorized with Adobe Digital Editions?
jrd4849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #8
trae

i don't think so... how can i do that, if it doesn't show up when connected? i.e. no dialog box opens up, and i've searched and searched and cannot find a way to manually get it to appear....

any instructions i found on the de site, related to the 505 or 700, or else directed me to the sony site. which didn't help!

and i say again: gah!
Old 01-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #9
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Are you using a MAC or Windows PC?
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:01 PM   #10
trae

max osx
Old 01-03-2010, 12:10 PM   #11
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
max osx
Adobe Digital Editions on OSX , as far as I know, doesn't recognize Sony Readers.

Sony *should* have authorized your reader with your existing Adobe ID during installation but I've seen others with this problem.

Do you have a Windows PC you could borrow to authorize your reader using ADE with your existing Adobe ID?

*edit*
It seems there is a limit to the number of times ADE can authorize devices so don't try this too often. It might be beneficial to contact Sony Support and ask them if their Adobe ID matches the Adobe ID that you have installed on your MAC. During the Reader Library installation process it should have asked you if you had an exising Adobe ID. If you didn't reply, or didn't understand the question, it seems it can make an Adobe ID on your belalf. It might be better to get it straightened out with Sony before getting in deeper and having your eBooks authorized with different Adobe ID's.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 01-03-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:22 PM   #12
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Good advice above. Just wanted to say Welcome and sorry you are having issues.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:57 PM   #13
jrd4849
jrd4849 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch
Quote:
max osx
Mac here also. I had to authorize the reader in ADE on an old Windows box I still had working.
jrd4849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #14
lmamakos
lmamakos began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
I was able to authorize my PRS-600 on a Mac completely. I did it prior to the Sony store converting to ePub by downloading the Adobe Digital Edition software directly. I have to believe that now the Sony Reader program for the Mac ought to be able to do it on it's own. You ought not to need to find a PC to do this.
lmamakos is offline   Reply With Quote