Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-24-2009, 10:36 AM   #1
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Margin Control with ePub/Mobi Conversion

My usual Calibre conversion is from html to Mobi (and sometimes from lit to Mobi). I prefer the Mobi format and have quite readily been able to achieve my preferred conversion with full justification and even borders (5 pt).

I have just attempted my first epub to Mobi conversion, which for the most part turned out well, except that my left margins were much, much wider than the other margins. I tried re-converting, designating the left margin as zero rather than 5 pt, but the resulting conversion turned out exactly the same.

The text looks fine, with my preferred full justification, except for that wide left margin. Is there any way I can get a conversion with even borders?
ascherjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There must be something in the HTML source which is explicitly setting the left margin. Your only option, really, is to edit the HTML and fix it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There must be something in the HTML source which is explicitly setting the left margin. Your only option, really, is to edit the HTML and fix it.
HarryT: Thanks. How do I get to the epub html source, and what do I look for to change? This would be my first time at doing this (although I am somewhat Linux conversant).
Old 07-24-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
An ePub file is just a ZIP file. Rename it to ".zip" and you can open it with any tool that handles ZIP files.

I'm afraid you will need to be conversant with HTML in order to make the change. No getting around that. If you aren't familiar with it yourself, perhaps you know someone who is?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:43 PM   #5
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
An ePub file is just a ZIP file. Rename it to ".zip" and you can open it with any tool that handles ZIP files.

I'm afraid you will need to be conversant with HTML in order to make the change. No getting around that. If you aren't familiar with it yourself, perhaps you know someone who is?
Harry: Thanks again. I was able to rename and unzip it, examine its contents -- and decide I'd best for now let things remain as at present. The formatting, except for the left margin, is quite as usual for my Mobi formatting. Maybe in time I'll try to learn how to manipulate html files.
Advert
Old 07-25-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
Harry: Thanks again. I was able to rename and unzip it, examine its contents -- and decide I'd best for now let things remain as at present. The formatting, except for the left margin, is quite as usual for my Mobi formatting. Maybe in time I'll try to learn how to manipulate html files.
Harry: After a day's thinking about this, utilizing your tip to rename the epub file to a zip file, I came up with a fairly simple solution (for me) to get the left margin the way I wanted it (to match the other margins for full justification):

After extracting the html files I copied the main text to my word processor, saved it as a txt document, then had Calibre convert the txt document to Mobi. Now everything looks fine. Thanks again.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:51 AM   #7
Vighnahara
Vighnahara began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
fter extracting the html files I copied the main text to my word processor, saved it as a txt document, then had Calibre convert the txt document to Mobi. Now everything looks fine. Thanks again.
Did this keep the chapters, etc? Or is it now just one long block? If you're going to go that route, you might be able to just convert straight from epub to text in Calibre...
Vighnahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:09 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vighnahara View Post
Did this keep the chapters, etc? Or is it now just one long block? If you're going to go that route, you might be able to just convert straight from epub to text in Calibre...
I know it sometimes gets confusing, but please refrain from answering posts well over a year old.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote