Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 02-17-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
guylhem
guylhem began at the beginning.

Device: Zaurus C700
Getting a root shell

Hello

I am wondering how it is possible to get a root shell on the 505 ??? (I have a TTL serial cable if hardware UART connection is needed like for the Kindle)

I spent some serious time googling for stuff, but I could not find anything interesting - only pictures of the kernels. There are many things I would like to test - like cross compling applications, or replacing the kernel.

Do we know how to use the bootloader to replace the kernel+firmware? From what I understand, a 2 Mb NOR is used for the bootloader, so I guess there is no risk of bricking the device.

Ideally, I would set up the usbd in net mode or serial mode (then with a pppd connection waiting) to be able to access the 505 by telnet and play mp3/aac streams when a special SD card is plugged in - like for the Igorsk firmware dump and update scripts.

Later on, I would also like to try to write framebuffer applications replacing the reader application by something that could run 24/7 (with AC plugged in and the special SD), for exemple a clock + weather forecast + the name of the song playing on the mp3 stream, so that the reader could be usefull even when I'm not reading !

Any link/help would be welcome to "access" the device, including a basic "hello world" on the e-ink screen using the framebuffer or the /dev device (saw the librieX project but something simpler to get started would be more interesting)

Thanks
Guylhem
guylhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
ashadocat
ashadocat began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
try the openinkpot forum section, or the openinkpot irc channel. they probably know more about hacking the prs-505 then anyone here.
ashadocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 09:26 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
See here for the connection. It's for 500, but the same pins work for the 505, and the picture is better.
But you don't need it to just run the programs or scripts on the Reader - "run script" function of the Universal Flasher works without any need to open the device.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:17 PM   #4
guylhem
guylhem began at the beginning.

Device: Zaurus C700
Thanks a lot ! But I don't see the voltage mentionned - is it 3.3v or 5v?
Where can I get vcc nearby? Only see tx/rx/gnd

Guylhem
guylhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:24 AM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
It's 3.3 as far as I remember, and you don't usually need VCC for the serial port, but you could probably take it off some other pin.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert