Notices

Old 06-23-2008, 10:04 PM   #1
bakerjw
Enthusiast
bakerjw doesn't litterbakerjw doesn't litter

Device: none
Sony ergonomics and software?

Greetings. First post.
I am looking to pick up an e-book reader. If I feel like going all out, it would be an Iliad. With the heavy cost though I will be settling for a Sony or Kindle.

I have a Sony MP3man for playing MP3's. The Sony software sucks so bad. I loaded someone's 3rd party software on it to make it behave like I wanted.

My questions are: How is the Sony software for usability and organization? I have a lot of older Sci-Fi books on various formats (txt, rtf, dic, lit) and I want to be able to move then into whichever device that I decide to purchase.

How are the controls? It sounds like the Kindle controls are a bit misplaced.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks
bakerjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:47 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
...I have a Sony MP3man for playing MP3's. The Sony software sucks so bad....
Let's just say SONY is consistent.

I have the reader and it is pretty awesome. It's small enough so I can carry it everywhere. The body is metal so it's sturdy. The screen size is 6" so it's the same size as most other readers. The PRS-505 is 2nd gen, it is very ergonomic and feels very comfortable in the hands.

There are three individual pieces of software that make the SONY device pretty awesome.

That is Calibe, Bookit, PDFLRF, DictLauncher

Calibre: http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/
Calibre is a book organizer and format converter that pretty much converts any file format to a SONY Compatible format. It also is an RSS creator.

Bookit: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24403
For those unique pages where RSS is not supported by Calibe or just web pages that you want to copy down to your reader. This is the tool

PDFLRF: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13135
This tool is great for converting PDFs to LRF (a SONY format) and keeps the format of the PDF entact. Note Calibe also convertes PDF but its conversion is not that good.

DictLauncher: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22320
A dictionary for the reader.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2008, 12:20 AM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Sony reader = great
Sony Software = rotten
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote