Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
SofaKingSmart
SofaKingSmart began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kobo Glo battery specs

Hope someone finds this interesting, I had to dig to get it.
The Kobo Glo uses a 1000 mAh battery made by the Taiwanese company Power Source Energy Co. LTD. Model number H384355. I'm sure page turns per charge depends on hardware, firmware, and user power settings. This compares to the Kindle Paperwhite battery of 1420 mAh.
I gathered this information trying to decide which to buy. I love many features of the Kobo, like interface options, epubs, turning the light off, and the microSD slot. From many posts I read I get the impression the PW has a more finished user experience. Tough choice ...
(sorry if this is in the wrong place or not useful to anyone, first post on these forums - long time sporadic lurker through google)
SofaKingSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
ghudod
Connoisseur
ghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toys

Device: none
I had a Paperwhite and returned it. Though the Amazon eco-system is more complete, the PW screen is very inconsistent. I found it blotchy, unevenly lit, shadow lines, etc. It was unusable for reading, though I think I might be quite sensitive to it.

IMO, the Glo is much nicer to actually look at and read from which ultimately is the core functionality that the PW fails at. I think the Glo is at its best with some good lighting on it and the glo-light gives it a nice white, flat screen, though it works at all light levels. The Glo also seems to be a bit more responsive when navigating around.

Both the Glo and the PW have their issues, but I found the Glo just much nicer to read from.
ghudod is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaKingSmart View Post
Hope someone finds this interesting, I had to dig to get it.
The Kobo Glo uses a 1000 mAh battery made by the Taiwanese company Power Source Energy Co. LTD. Model number H384355. I'm sure page turns per charge depends on hardware, firmware, and user power settings. This compares to the Kindle Paperwhite battery of 1420 mAh.
I gathered this information trying to decide which to buy. I love many features of the Kobo, like interface options, epubs, turning the light off, and the microSD slot. From many posts I read I get the impression the PW has a more finished user experience. Tough choice ...
(sorry if this is in the wrong place or not useful to anyone, first post on these forums - long time sporadic lurker through google)
Thanks.
For what it's worth, from my Sony PRS-T1 user guide:
"Built-in rechargeable battery: 3.7 V DC, 1000mAh"
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Good to know the model number, thanks, hopefully my Glo will last longer than the battery and I will get to replace it :-)

I guess the capacity is just a trade off between battery life and weight. Personally I would prefer a bigger battery and heavier reader, but no doubt others would prefer the opposite.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:43 AM   #5
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Personally, I'd prefer a bigger capacity battery and a lighter reader, but since physics are unlikely to change on a local basis, I'm screwed...

OTOH, I'd be open to easily user replaceable batteries or the like. But, I'm pretty sure the boys at Kobo like most other ereader designers did their homework and figured battery life is pretty much on the high side, and that the relatively small income from being able to swap batteries out would not offset the profit lost on people who stick with the older unit longer.

Let's just be happy that there is a plug on the battery which makes it a little easier for the more adventurous to replace a battery without warming up the old soldering iron.

Last edited by TechniSol; 02-20-2013 at 01:48 AM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2014, 11:44 PM   #6
smoggy
smoggy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.smoggy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.smoggy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.smoggy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.smoggy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.smoggy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.smoggy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.smoggy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.smoggy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.smoggy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.smoggy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo
I opened tha case on my Kobo touch and it uses that same battery
smoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:44 PM   #7
jameson69
jameson69 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O
I had a Chinese manufacturer build some batteries according to the above specs and matching the Glo connector. The good news is that they work. The bad news is that the battery is not quite the same size. The real battery inside the Glo looks like a 385261, roughly according to measurements. Anybody knows more about this? Was the battery changed after the initial model?
jameson69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:56 AM   #8
jameson69

For anyone interested, I removed the battery in my Glo and replaced it. The original battery is a 345360, and the connector is Hirose DF57-2S-1.2C. The smaller battery I fitted in works fine and lasts much more than my more-than-two-years-old original one.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:54 AM   #9
Kloos
Kloos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
@Jameson69: Where did you buy this smaller battery ?
Kloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:24 AM   #10
jameson69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloos View Post
@Jameson69: Where did you buy this smaller battery ?
It is an industry standard cell. I asked a Chinese manufacturer to build some pieces adding the proper connector.