Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
rammbam123
rammbam123 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Bought new t2 but the browser pisses me off..

The only reason I upgraded from PRS 650 to T2 was the ability to surf the web and read texts online. I see I was terribly wrong. My expectations were that I can use the dictionary on those websites, can use bigger font (not the terrible zoom) and at least not get stuck in one website and spend 2 months to get out of it. This is my experience with the new T2. Guys is this how the new T2 really works like, or Im doing something wrong? Your reply is appreciated.
rammbam123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
What are you trying to read online? It's an eink reader and not really designed to be a full-fledged browser. It's not meant to surf the web like you can on your computer or even your cell phone.

Dictionary on the website? Do you mean use the reader's built-in dictionary to use for something you're reading online? um...no.

I'm not sure where you got those ideas from but no. The browser is just a rudimentary thing so you can browse a library to borrow a book or buy from Kobobooks but not to surf the web that's for sure. At least not to my knowledge and why would you want to? It's eink and it would have to refresh.

I don't know about you but the refresh flash annoys me just looking at my local library site to find a book. I wouldn't want to try it on anything else.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Sounds like you expect it to work as a tablet..
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Yeah, OP, I agree. I have a T1 and the browser is painful because the font is not resizable. If the font could be resized and the text reflowed it would be usable. Now I've used an android phone, I see it has the same limitations. Is there anyway this can be done with an Android app / broswer? I would root my T1 for this.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
rammbam123
rammbam123 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Well I agree guys, maybe my expectations were too high, but I watched few videos Online and thought this works nice for reading. I still consider my PRS 650 a king of all readers, and now I really regret this purchase.
rammbam123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by rammbam123 View Post
Well I agree guys, maybe my expectations were too high, but I watched few videos Online and thought this works nice for reading. I still consider my PRS 650 a king of all readers, and now I really regret this purchase.
Reading books and browsing websites are two entirely different things. If you want both then you should buy a tablet not a dedicated ereader.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
If you're in the US, most stores give you 30 days to return an item, if you hate it regret it that much. Personally I still think the x50 readers were and are still the best.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:04 AM   #8
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Sounds like you expect it to work as a tablet..
No, he just wants the included browser to be usable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Reading books and browsing websites are two entirely different things. If you want both then you should buy a tablet not a dedicated ereader.
This comment is not helpful.

This is a feature I want and I checked it out. See the following:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2029292
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1486734
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1062327

So it seems something like this does work on phones. Try double-tapping? If not, it might be possible to root the device and install a custom browser that supports this functionality. If I ever get round to rooting my T1, I may try it myself. The trick will be installing a 3rd-party browser that supports it. That's not to say it will actually work on the T1 / T2. I'm not sure how advanced rooting the T2 is.

Last edited by Rizla; 12-09-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
It's e-ink so no matter what browser you use or what app you use rooted it will still look like... well ....e-ink aka terrible it's an e- reader......period.. the browser is only there to allow access to book sources such as libraries or book stores and is just barely adequate for that
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
No, he just wants the included browser to be usable.

This comment is not helpful.

This is a feature I want and I checked it out. See the following:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2029292
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1486734
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1062327

So it seems something like this does work on phones. Try double-tapping? If not, it might be possible to root the device and install a custom browser that supports this functionality. If I ever get round to rooting my T1, I may try it myself. The trick will be installing a 3rd-party browser that supports it. That's not to say it will actually work on the T1 / T2. I'm not sure how advanced rooting the T2 is.
I'm not sure why you'd expect features from a full Android phone/tablet to be available on an e-ink device that is marketed as a reader and doesn't support multi-touch... and the comment concerning reading/browsing may not be helpful but was distinctly to the point.

I use an e-ink eReader for leisure reading and I use tablets/smartphone for everything else... and I expect them to support the features you want but not the eReader... browsing on an e-ink device is OK for a quick purchase but incredibly frustrating for any other browsing especially due to e-ink refresh nature being physically slow...

I don't think you will get what you want from the T2 even if you root it and throw other apps at it... the fundamental limitation for good browsing... is current e-ink.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I would highly recommend returning the E-ink reader and buying a tablet.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
Rizla
Member Retired

The OP just wants resizable fonts and text-wrap. It's not such a big deal. He's not asking for the sky and it should be easy to implement. From what I've read, it looks like maybe Apple has actually patented text-wrap on a mobile browser. Scary...
Old 12-17-2012, 10:01 AM   #13
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rammbam123 View Post
Dear ramnbam,
I do not agree sorry.
Ok it is not a tablet..that is for sure, but the ereaders need to improve to be competitive. Honestly i think that PRS650 is not great at all compared with T2.
Only the caracteristic of the whiter screen worth to buy, to not mention that the T2 allow you to do annotation without getting sick for the bugs!!! And this is a super improvement using the T2 and use all the notes and highlt efficiently, so it is also more fast in the end than the prs650(not mentioning processor, but the final result)

Then you have evernote that is simply great and you can browse... sorry I do not agree with the other guys.. I have been in vacation in the sand, and having my T2 in teethering with internet was simply great to read on the sun, I put all my favorites, and every monring I was reading news clearly and without any issue, for hours without having trouble with glares of the sun and the terrible tablet batteries.

this is just awesome! Is not a browser? ok is less fluid than a tablet, but except than you tube I do everything, also check bank accounts, read emails, forum!
and still it is not rooted, imagine when I will have a broader choice of browser...
I will be ALSO ABLE TO DOWNLOAD the pages and to read with the dictionary as you were stating...and also without root you can use evernote by a desktop and just send the pages you like on your device using the dictionary!

It is making that flash ghost effect? not bad, I do a breath and I can fully read a lot of content before to scroll another page, not optimal but it fully works.
regarding the fonts, if you double click on the text will be readable with a nice contrast.
Really I do not see any issue and I would not say that the browser is only to go on the library, as it is not true as if use in landscape can read every kind of page. I just received an Iphone 5 by the company, but still I will continue to read internet with T2 on the go, especially in dangerous public places, or really sunny.
And when in FY13 we will have color ereader that offer video without destroying the batteries, I am not sure people will say always that an ereader is not a tablet, especially because in 2014 the refresh will be faster and faster of course.
for the attention

Last edited by trocchietto; 12-17-2012 at 10:05 AM.
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #14
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Aura ONE
Too many people are making excuses for Sony here. Yes, it isn't a tablet, but is there a specific reason Sony can't simply reflow a larger font? And why *not* have dictionary on a web page. Is it not text? Would it not simply return "word not found" if it wasn't able to find a match?

Two days of development time could make the reader that much more usable for at least a few people, if going by this thread alone. Too bad Sony never releases software upgrades. They probably don't trust their own software not to brick the devices.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #15
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
I would highly recommend returning the E-ink reader and buying a tablet.
I would highly recommend that you and the other posters on this thread who have nothing useful to contribute not post.