Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-16-2012, 06:20 AM   #1
Slider1960
Connoisseur
Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle PaperWhite, iPad
Good ebook stores?

Got to be asked again. What is the consensus of the best book store for a uk based reader? I have a rather old Cybook which is set up for Mobi, but I am quite happy converting from epub etc.

I used to use fictionwise, but it got expensive and difficult to get a lot of stuff as a UK reader. I have been using Kobo (which is now owned by wh smug), but there are many things I dislike about it - poor range, terrible searching (example: Displaying results for: “swan song” You searched for: “earth abides” !) and a stoopid check out process with no basket so each purchase is completely separate. But my main gripe is the poor range and searching experience.

I am more than happy to pay for my books so I'm not really interested in torrents or the like although I would need to know that those wonderful little Python scripts would work an anything I did buy:-)

Thanks in advance
Slider1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:25 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Amazon, without a doubt. Download to "Kindle for PC", from where you can transfer to other devices via Calibre. Best shopping experience by far, in my view, as well as the best selection and (generally) the best prices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:31 AM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Depending on what you want to read and what types of books you bought at Fictionwise, you might try Smashwords (www.smashwords.com). When Smashwords came along, I stopped buying at Fictionwise. But then, I was more interested in indie authors than major publisher authors.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:32 AM   #4
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
Yeah, a second vote for Amazon. Like them or loathe them (personally I like them), the prices are pretty well universally competitive and the range is unbeatable.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I mainly use Amazon's Kindle Store. I don't know of many alternatives other than:

Books On Board
http://www.booksonboard.com/

For Classics, Free Kindle Books and Many Books are great: http://freekindlebooks.org/
http://manybooks.net/
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
If you have a discount code (there are many listed in the Deals and Freebies forum) you can find bargains on Kobo. I agree the search is broken, but as I have saved up to 90% on ebooks using discount codes (the current highest discount is 40%), I work my way through it.

Otherwise, I vote for Amazon.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I can't really speak to the UK stores, but certainly Amazon in the US has the best selection and if you know what you are buying it's easy and quick to buy. Browsing for books on the other hand, is a different matter. I haven't run across any ebook stores that had the experience that I'm looking for with regards to browsing for books.

When I browse for books, I want to know what books have come out since the last time time I was there. You would think that this would be easy to do, but I guess no one else shops for books that way.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Let's not forget about Baen (This is a link to the eBook section).

If you like your fantasy and Sci-Fi, you can't go wrong here.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Amazon, without a doubt. Download to "Kindle for PC", from where you can transfer to other devices via Calibre. Best shopping experience by far, in my view, as well as the best selection and (generally) the best prices.
I was wondering about Amazon: It is so easy to buy books from the Kindle, that I am still leary to add my card to the one-click checkout. Is there a way to prepay and charge money to the Kindle store so that it is only available for books? And then if it is gone, it's gone until I put money back on as to keep my books on a budget, but still be able to buy one on the go if I wanted to ?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Is there a way to prepay and charge money to the Kindle store so that it is only available for books? And then if it is gone, it's gone until I put money back on as to keep my books on a budget, but still be able to buy one on the go if I wanted to ?
Nope.

You can add a gift certificate and it will draw from that balance first, but it wouldn't be limited to just books.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Nope.

You can add a gift certificate and it will draw from that balance first, but it wouldn't be limited to just books.
That would work too, as long as I can purchase books with Kindle, and NOT have to have a card linked to one-click - right now my expired card is one-click. I guess limited to books is less a priority than beeing on a budget in all amazon.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #12
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Quote:
That would work too, as long as I can purchase books with Kindle, and NOT have to have a card linked to one-click - right now my expired card is one-click. I guess limited to books is less a priority than beeing on a budget in all amazon.
You can still just use your gift certificate for books if you want to. If you buy something else they will give you the option to use your gift certificate or not, unless it is Subscribe & Save item, where you have to use the gift certificate.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #13
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
Quote:
I was wondering about Amazon: It is so easy to buy books from the Kindle, that I am still leary to add my card to the one-click checkout. Is there a way to prepay and charge money to the Kindle store so that it is only available for books? And then if it is gone, it's gone until I put money back on as to keep my books on a budget, but still be able to buy one on the go if I wanted to ?
You could get yourself one of the pre-paid credit cards and link that to the account, can't spend more than your limit then without topping it up.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #14
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post

When I browse for books, I want to know what books have come out since the last time time I was there. You would think that this would be easy to do, but I guess no one else shops for books that way.
I too wish estores had an easy option for this.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #15
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by feenix1363 View Post
You could get yourself one of the pre-paid credit cards and link that to the account, can't spend more than your limit then without topping it up.
Interesting alternative, thank you, have to check that out - or maybe not, see below other reply. The last time I looked at pre-paid credit cards they always had an unaccaptable catch. It is either can't reload, expires if not used by certain date, horrendous fees to reload, fees after some time etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
You can still just use your gift certificate for books if you want to. If you buy something else they will give you the option to use your gift certificate or not, unless it is Subscribe & Save item, where you have to use the gift certificate.
Thank you, wasn't 100% clear - sounded to me like that the gift certificate was beeing used first no matter what. The option to use it or not for regular purchases is great and exactly what I was looking for.

I just looked and gift cards don't have to be cards any more - delivery option by email now or up to a year in advance. Absolutely no fees. Choose the exact amount. Thank you Amazon - I will make sure to enter my email to send a gift card