Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 02-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #16
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Sounds like you are affected by sleep of death. If you search here you will find a lot of info. The upshot is you need to set the wifi sleep policy to never and leave wifi on.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #17
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony 650 and Cool-er
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
Sounds like you are affected by sleep of death. If you search here you will find a lot of info. The upshot is you need to set the wifi sleep policy to never and leave wifi on.
Thanks for that, I thought that I had the dreaded SoD. The trick about keeping a book open sounds like a good idea too. I hadn't noticed the wifi sleep policy, where do I find it? The Vox is with my Mum and I keep disturbing her by rushing in and grabbing it! I can't disturb her again today. It makes her anxious if I fiddle with it!
Orn8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #18
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Thanks ScrapKing. ''The wireless powers down when you haven't used it for a while'' - how long is a while. It happens to Mum's Vox after 10 mins. Thanks.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #19
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Just working from memory here but if you go into the wifi settings and then press the menu (center) button, you get an Advanced popup/option/button.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #20
Orn8one
Groupie

Thank you I'll look for that tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #21
Orn8one
Groupie

Hi again, I've just come back from Mum's and I couldn't find the ''never sleep wifi setting'' now on re-reading your post I realise I hadn't pressed the menu button for the advanced settings.....doh! I got so distracted just trying to get the wifi on. its awful she is so keen and trying so hard but this poor software is going to ruin everything if she starts getting upset. I'm writing her a crib sheet, no crib book! Very simple with photos of every action but the inconsistancy of the machine is driving me nuts. I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks for letting me share!
Old 03-02-2012, 07:25 AM   #22
Orn8one
Groupie

Help! The wretched Vox has gone back to factory settings..... Mum wrote down the message on the screen. She turned on read ''something went wrong while starting your Kobo ereader blah blah Unable to start Your Kobo ereader will reset to its original factory condition''
I'm miserable and so is she. Has this happened to anyone else? I have to get back to work so I can't check the forum for this issue now.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #23
Orn8one
Groupie

Thanks to everyone for their help. Pity the Vox didn't work out. The software faults are obviously no biggy for someone with knowledge and a computer but my Mum needs a solid machine so she now has an iPad!
Old 03-07-2012, 03:31 AM   #24
Orn8one
Groupie

With the Vox crash my Mum's Kobo account has got blocked. I downloaded the Kobo app for her iPad but couldnt access it, i had the same issue from my PC, i just got the message that the email address was not recognised. I emailed Cust Serv and got the response was how the change the password, no good if you cant access the account..... I emailed again and got the same reply. Can anyone tell me how to get past this? It may well be that i made a typo on the email address. I am now away so I can't see my Mums emails. I don't want her to lose the £20 she had spent on books and the Cust Serv don't seem to actually read or understand the emails they receive.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #25
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you tried the GetSatisfaction web site?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #26
Orn8one
Groupie

Thanks for that Peter T, I havent seen that site before. I'll explore. Apologies for my last post. I wasnt really expecting anyone to reply! I just needed to vent as the whole Vox expereience had been so frustrating! I should publish my step to step guide with photos and arrowed text on using a Vox!

Last edited by Orn8one; 03-07-2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #27
Alans
Connoisseur
Alans began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
I wouldn't have recommended a Kobo Vox for an elderly person..I've had mine for months and I'm still trying to figure things out. Even though it's more expensive I would have gone the route of an ipad which is simple for people with no computer expertise or the kindle which is also simple. There are many complications with the Kobo that makes it frustrating to use.
Alans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #28
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
To each his own. I'm 71, but I've been playing with computers since before the Internet for the public. Fortran, Basic, TRS-80, then PCs. I have absolutely no clue about Macs, other than they're expensive "computers for dummies". I've never tried using an iPad, but don't find a friend's Playbook intuitive at all, if that's similar to how an iPad works. The Vox, however, I find very logical. However, it really depends on what a senior needs. If it's just to read books, then a Kobo Touch would seem to be a better product, without all the unwanted baggage on the Vox.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #29
Alans
Connoisseur
Alans began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Perhaps the heading for this thread "for a senior" was not appropriate and unfair. Clearly
there are people of all ages, like Oldyellr who are extremely knowledgeable and comfortable with the Kobo vox. It sounds like you yourself has a lot more experience then I do. I just think as you wrote at the end of your post, that the Vox isn't the most
user-friendly device for someone with little experience..no matter what their age. I guess
we still identify computers with the very young.
Alans is offline   Reply With Quote