Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-26-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
khanhtm
khanhtm began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
Red face Can I use all Kindle functions outside USA?

Hi all,

I'm in Vietnam. I intend to buy a Kindle but I don't know if I can use all of it functions and features in Vietnam?

Thanks.
khanhtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
the kindle is offically marketed only in the US for the moment. so, you will not be able to buy one from amazon in vietnam. also, the "whispernet" wireless feature obviously will not work for buying books online without using a pc. also, if i understand correctly, you cannot in fact buy any amazon kindle books unless you have a US credit card.

however, you can use the kindle to read non-DRM mobi books, i beleive.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2008, 03:02 AM   #3
khanhtm

Thanks for your advices!
Old 07-27-2008, 07:20 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i am glad to help !

just one question, have you considered a different reader ? since you do not live in the US, many of the functions that set the kindle apart would not be accessible to you. so it might be more interesting to get a different device. if you want to read mobipocket books, the Cybook will read them, and other non-DRM formats like .txt and .html, and it is available worldwide.

you might want to take a look in the wiki (link at the top left of the page) about devices. there is an e-ink device comparison matrix ; this could give you some good information. if you are not specifically interested in an e-ink device, there is also a lot of information about lcd devices.

don't hesitate to ask, if you have more questions.

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 07-27-2008 at 08:47 AM. Reason: drM, sheesh. *next to* the L.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:44 AM   #5
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i am glad to help !

just one question, have you considered a different reader ? since you do not live in the US, many of the functions that set the kindle apart would not be accessible to you. so it might be more interesting to get a different device. if you want to read mobipocket books, the Cybook will read them, and other non-DRL formats like .txt and .html, and it is available worldwide.

you might want to take a look in the wiki (link at the top left of the page) about devices. there is an e-ink device comparison matrix ; this could give you some good information. if you are not specifically interested in an e-ink device, there is also a lot of information about lcd devices.

don't hesitate to ask, if you have more questions.
I completely agree, You are showing a PRS 505 as your device. Do you have one if so Why would you want a Kindle if your location prevents you from using the features that set it apart from the Sony??

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2008, 12:07 PM   #6
khanhtm

Question

Thanks for your comments.
I have my Sony already, but I dont know what happened to the screen.
You can see in the attached file.
Now it can only display 50%, I can not read any more.
Did anyone face the same problem like me?
How can I solve it then I dont have to buy a Kindle.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03076.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	14700  
Old 07-27-2008, 12:37 PM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
That looks like a broken screen substrate to me.
Did you drop it? The expense of a screen replacment plus postage to Vietnam is likely to cost as much as a new device.
(If you took out a warranty, or have accidental damage cover on your house insurance then you may be able to make a claim.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:02 PM   #8
khanhtm

I did not drop it.
I bought it just last month.
One day it happened. I dont know why.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:04 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by khanhtm View Post
I did not drop it.
I bought it just last month.
One day it happened. I dont know why.
I suggest you email Sony and send them the photo and ask them what to do.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:53 AM   #10
khanhtm

OK. I'll do it.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:08 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So what does Sony have to say?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:15 AM   #12
tablettweet
Connoisseur
tablettweet began at the beginning.

Device: IPad 1&2,IPod Touch 4G, DXG, Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle Touch
I don't know if you already buy other e-reader or not but nowadays you can buy Kindle 2 international from Vietnam since it is not in this country list.
tablettweet is offline   Reply With Quote