Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-26-2023, 05:40 PM   #1
ouzal
ouzal began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo
PRS T2 not detected in ADE

I bought a PRS T2 thinking it would work with my public library, only to know later that this Overdrive function has long been dropped from Sony readers.

So I thought of copying my library's DRM ebooks via ADE but it doesn't show in it (the reader is however well detected by windows)

I installed kobo descktop and tried to authorize adobe from there but I always get syncing error on that Kobo desktop.

is there a way to fix this in order to read my public library's ebooks on my PRS T2 ?

thank you
ouzal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 04:07 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Make sure Adobe Digital Editions is installed and is activated with your Adobe username and password. Then close it. Now plug in your T2 to the computer and once the computer sees it, run ADE. ADE should ask if you want to authorize your T2. Select Yes and go from there.

Once the T2 is activated, you can copy the eBooks you've downloaded from the library to your T2. The ADE library is found at C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Digital Editions

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-27-2023 at 04:14 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2023, 07:03 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouzal View Post
is there a way to fix this in order to read my public library's ebooks on my PRS T2 ?
I don't know that much about Adobe Digital Editions (since I use Linux) but you can use Calibre with the DeACSM and DeDRM plugins and move the ePub to the T2 if nothing else works.

Some people frown on this because library books (unlike your own paid for books) probably should not be DeDRMed. I use it on library books that have terrible formatting, but I normally read library books on my PocketBooks because they have ADE built-in -- just download the .acsm file to the PocketBook reader and it does the rest.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 05:42 PM   #4
ouzal

thanks both for your feedback
JSWolf: I tried your steps but this didn't work
rcentros :I'm looking for a way without removing DRM

Last edited by ouzal; 09-27-2023 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-28-2023, 06:22 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouzal View Post
thanks both for your feedback
JSWolf: I tried your steps but this didn't work
rcentros :I'm looking for a way without removing DRM
Okay, it's convoluted but I found a way to do it. I had to use Windows and ADE -- and Sony's Reader for PC.

ADE won't recognize the Sony PRS-T2 (as you say) but Sony Reader would and it would authorize it (I had de-authorized it and ADE would not see it), but it would not fulfill (download) the book from the .acsm file. (It tried but failed.) I had to use ADE, which would fulfill it. (Sorry if there is too much needless detail, but using ADE is foreign to me.) From ADE's library view I was able to right click on the borrowed book, show it in the directory, copy it and paste it to the Sony PRS-T2's Download directory. When I disconnected the PRS-T2, the book was available.

Hopefully this will work for you.

EDIT: If you need Sony's Reader for PC, I can give you a link.

Actually both the Mac and PC versions are available on Archive.org for download...

https://archive.org/details/reader-for

EDIT 2: I should add that, once you've gotten your T2 authorized (with Sony's Reader for PC), you won't have to use that application again. It will just be a matter of manually copying the book from the ADE directory and pasting it into the T2's Download folder. If you use a Mac, I think you can still find the Mac version of Sony Reader as well. I have no idea why older Sony Readers work in ADE but not the T series (at least none that I've tested). Maybe if you can find an older version of ADE it would work?

Last edited by rcentros; 09-28-2023 at 08:52 AM.
Advert
Old 09-28-2023, 07:17 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Okay, it's convoluted but I found a way to do it. I had to use Windows and ADE -- and Sony's Reader for PC.

ADE won't recognize the Sony PRS-T2 (as you say) but Sony Reader would and it would authorize it (I had de-authorized it and ADE would not see it), but it would not fulfill (download) the book from the .acsm file. (It tried but failed.) I had to use ADE, which would fulfill it. (Sorry if there is too much needless detail, but using ADE is foreign to me.) From ADE's library view I was able to right click on the borrowed book, show it in the directory, copy it and paste it to the Sony PRS-T2's Download directory. When I disconnected the PRS-T2, the book was available.

Hopefully this will work for you.

EDIT: If you need Sony's Reader for PC, I can give you a link.
And I'm guessing calibre would also work.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 07:32 AM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Make sure Adobe Digital Editions is installed and is activated with your Adobe username and password. Then close it. Now plug in your T2 to the computer and once the computer sees it, run ADE. ADE should ask if you want to authorize your T2. Select Yes and go from there.

Once the T2 is activated, you can copy the eBooks you've downloaded from the library to your T2. The ADE library is found at C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Digital Editions
What's weird is that the T2 isn't seen, in ADE 4.5 at least, but the older 350s and 650s are. (?)
Old 09-28-2023, 07:36 AM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
And I'm guessing calibre would also work.
I couldn't get Calibre with the DeACSM plugin to authorize or see the T2, but that was in Linux - it may be different in Windows. I wonder if the way the T2 brings up the Reader AND Settings when connected is what confuses ADE?

ADE 4.5 doesn't see the PRS-T3 either.

Last edited by rcentros; 09-28-2023 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-28-2023, 09:23 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Certainly for already DRM free ebooks the T2 works perfectly in Calibre on Linux. I thought DeACSM was for the downloaded ACSM (like from shops) in the computer, not an ereader. The ACSM files are simply a link with an expiry date?

I didn't think the DeACSM on Calibre authorised an ereader for ADE ever.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 10:50 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Click image for larger version

Name:	DeACSMb.png
Views:	57
Size:	453.2 KB
ID:	203996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I didn't think the DeACSM on Calibre authorised an ereader for ADE ever.
I've never used it, but it's built in. Of course, if ADE can't see the T series readers, that might be why DeACSM can't see them either.

Last edited by rcentros; 09-28-2023 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-28-2023, 11:51 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I must see if that feature works on Kobo and then if I can use ebooks from local library in Ireland (an Irish Library has books I can't read) as the borrowbox app on Android eink is horrible.

Certainly Calibre can see PRS-T2. I put in a 32 G SD card (nice "hidden" slot) and copied a few thousand PD epubs to one for my granddaughter. Even including the new SD card the S/H T2 from CEX was much cheaper than a Nia and it's a nicer to use GUI with Collections from Calibre than the older Kindle basic before they upgraded it to be like a PW3.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 01:26 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I must see if that feature works on Kobo and then if I can use ebooks from local library in Ireland (an Irish Library has books I can't read) as the borrowbox app on Android eink is horrible.

Certainly Calibre can see PRS-T2. I put in a 32 G SD card (nice "hidden" slot) and copied a few thousand PD epubs to one for my granddaughter. Even including the new SD card the S/H T2 from CEX was much cheaper than a Nia and it's a nicer to use GUI with Collections from Calibre than the older Kindle basic before they upgraded it to be like a PW3.
That's mostly what I've used my Sonys for as well. When I first bought the T2 I could download Overdrive books directly to it, as it had an app for it. But that's been a long time ago. Since my PocketBooks have ADE built in, it's just easier to use them for library books.

In this case the OP specifically wants to use the T2 for DRM Overdrive library books.
Old 09-28-2023, 03:58 PM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I couldn't get Calibre with the DeACSM plugin to authorize or see the T2, but that was in Linux - it may be different in Windows. I wonder if the way the T2 brings up the Reader AND Settings when connected is what confuses ADE?

ADE 4.5 doesn't see the PRS-T3 either.
I was thinking downloading the book using ADE, and then use calibre.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 07:53 PM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I was thinking downloading the book using ADE, and then use calibre.
Oh, I see. I'll have to try that.
Old 09-30-2023, 11:35 AM   #15
ouzal

Thanks for your support, I tried your method and managed to authorize the T2 with Sony Reader, but this causes ADE to loose its authorization (means I can no longer download .acsm with ADE, as I get error "check activation" whenever I double click a .acsm to download it)

I can "deauthorize/ then authorize" ADE and therefore get again the ability to download .acsm, but when I copy the downloaded ebook to the T2 eReader Download folder, the ereader can't read it and gives error:" Protected by DRM" (so it seems that T2 considers Sony reader authorisation to be different than ADE authorization, hence the DRM error even if it's authorized)

I managed to read one ebook from the T2 by doing the following:
authorize ADE >>download .acsm via ADE >>authorize T2 via Sony Reader (ADE now looses authorization) >>copy ebook to T2 and read it from there.
But this method is not practical at all as I'd need to always authorize/deauthorize ADE and Reader every time I want to upload a book and I'd loose access to all the books previously uploaded

Last edited by ouzal; 09-30-2023 at 11:40 AM.