Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-02-2019, 07:54 PM   #1
sw_
sw_ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Need to Downgrade Firmware on Sony PRS-T1

Okay, I had two Sony PRS-T1. I never updated them or did anything with them other than manually copy books on it and read. They worked great and were my favorite ereaders! Then my boyfriend got the brilliant idea to update them to 1.0.07.05070 They both now crash nonstop. It works for a bit then freezes and I have to cold or hard restart. Funny enough it's not the just the dictionary or any one thing. I can use all the features until it just decides they've had enough. Suddenly hitting the home button crashes it. I tried googling it and trying some fixes in 2016. It didn't work.

Luckily I found another Sony PRS-T1 for a steal. Never been opened! Works perfectly! It's running version 1.0.04.12210 I make sure to never use the wifi on it and I am so paranoid of it randomly upgrading I only load books on it with my internet off on my computer.

So my other two readers are useless and I'm starting to get brave and want to try and downgrade them. I've been looking hard on here to see what other people have done. It's been a bit confusing. My linux experience has been a one time install on one of my old computers. Using linux seems to be the number one way to downgrade the Sony PRS-T1. I was hoping there might be way to do it with really good instructions? Or a way on windows 10 to do it? Or if anyone just has some advice. It breaks my heart that I can't use my favorite readers. I just can't seem to move on I've bought some kindles and finally caved and got a kobo just recently. The only advantage they have over my sony is the magical backlighting.

Thanks!
sw_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 01:31 PM   #2
mrkapqa
mrkapqa began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-t1, prs-t3,
hei,
i also got an prs-t1 and mine started showing problems lately ( i think i made an firmware upgrade earlier)

so i followed this routine here

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=18

and it was a bit tricky but not too much.

luckily i had a computer with linux and windows on it so i used mostly linux and it worked beautifully now i am on version 1.05+ and the problems i had with the prs-t1 are gone!
i am pretty sure the firmware caused the malfunctioning, but i could be wrong on this.
mrkapqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2019, 12:07 AM   #3
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
I've done this as well back in 2016. The funny thing is after downgrading one of my readers, I re-flashed directly to 1.0.07 and haven't had an issue in years.

I don't think it's the most recent firmware that's an issue, but the incremental upgrading may leave digital debris behind.

Give mrkapqa's answer a try SW_.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
downgrade, downgrade firmware, sony prs t1