Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-12-2019, 05:56 AM   #1
njosnari
njosnari began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
HELP! PRS-T1 Opening book loop...

So my PRS-T1 sat unused for quite awhile and I recently dug it out. Battery was flat dead, and when I recharged it, things were fine. Like an idiot, i decided to check if any updates were available and installed. About a week later, I'm stuck in this opening book loop, where the status bar doesn't move, and then the screen flashes white, just to land on the same page, and repeats over and over. I thought that maybe the battery was borked, so I've installed and charged a fresh one, and still the same. I've tried to follow up on restore/rescue options, but I'm rather confused. The latest rescue SD seems to be for 1.0.04, and thats not even available anymore... I've downloaded an image of a clean 1.0.07 install, but I have no clue what to do with it..

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can try to bring this thing back to life?
njosnari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:07 AM   #2
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...72#post3477672

More details if you need it with working links to software used: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=10

Last edited by DoctorM; 10-13-2019 at 01:12 AM.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2019, 06:56 AM   #3
njosnari

Hi DoctorM
I'm trying to follow the instructions here, and I've done these steps:
Download Porkupan's SD rescue package for 1.01/1.02/1.03 firmware or uboot's SD rescue package for 1.04 firmware. Copy the folder "OS Firmware" to the root directory of your micro SD card and insert the card into the reader.
Press and hold HOME and MENU before pressing POWER on the Reader and keep HOME and MENU pressed (this is crucial!)
Wait until the progress bar in the “Opening book" page has reached the right side (about 20 seconds). The message will change to “Updating”. Release buttons. From now on there should be no more visible activity except for the constant blinking of the orange light (within the power button).

However, once the progress bar fills up, nothing happens. The loop resumes as it did before.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:02 AM   #4
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

I'm guessing you tried resetting with a paperclip.
The only other thing I can think of that I've done in the past is modify the Sony flasher utility by changing the version number to a lower number, flashing the Reader and bricking it to stop the reboot loop.
I wouldn't recommend intentionally doing that though.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:29 AM   #5
njosnari

Yes, the only way to do the shut down is to hold reset + power for a few seconds... So there is no way out of this loop?
Advert
Old 10-14-2019, 04:37 AM   #6
njosnari

What is the sony flasher utility? Would I be able to use that? I can't even connect my PRS-t1 to my computer with usb.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:30 AM   #7
DoctorM
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by njosnari View Post
Yes, the only way to do the shut down is to hold reset + power for a few seconds... So there is no way out of this loop?
Are you saying you can shutdown, but starting it up again with HOME and MENU doesn't start a firmware flash?
Old 10-15-2019, 04:51 AM   #8
njosnari

By "shut down", I press reset and power for a few seconds, and the opening book loop stops refreshing. When I press HOME and MENU, either after "shutting down" or when the loop refreshes itself, the progress bar will fill all the way up, but it will never change to "updating"
Old 10-15-2019, 05:02 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Looks like it's time for a new Reader. Having used a T1, I moved to Kobo with a larger screen and I'm glad I did. If you do decide to get a new Reader, I highly recommend the 7" Kobo Libra H2O. It will so make your reading experience much better.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:35 AM   #10
DoctorM
Groupie

Yeah. I gotta agree with JSWolf. If you can shutdown and restart with Home+Menu and it won't update from the SDCard, I think it's done.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:57 AM   #11
njosnari

Aaaaah boo...

No other recovery files to try?
Pity, as the reader seems fine otherwise... What a waste.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:49 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njosnari View Post
Aaaaah boo...

No other recovery files to try?
Pity, as the reader seems fine otherwise... What a waste.
How is it a waste if it's broken? You could sell it on eBay for parts. If the battery is good enough and then there is the screen.

But to be honest, if you were to get a Kobo Libra H2O, I think you would like it much better then the T1.7" screen, better contrast, better firmware, faster, better resolution, newer version of RMSDK (ADE), front light with comfortlight (to cut down the blue from the front light), and other things that make it a lot better then the T1. I still have a T1, but I've never used it since I got my Kobo Aura H2O. My mother used a T1 and if she had not died when she did, I was going ot get her a Kobo to upgrade her T1.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-16-2019 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:17 AM   #13
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
There's plenty of discussion of the good and bad of the Libra (and other Kobo models) in the Kobo section of the forum if you want to know more.

There are also some people around here who have bought used Sonys cheap from various sources - if you really like Sony you can probably find one in working order.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:24 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
There's plenty of discussion of the good and bad of the Libra (and other Kobo models) in the Kobo section of the forum if you want to know more.

There are also some people around here who have bought used Sonys cheap from various sources - if you really like Sony you can probably find one in working order.
The problem with Sony Readers is they really bog down with high-res mages (such as the cover and the title page). They don't have the memory and/or the processor to properly hand;e them and if there are too many high-res images, there could be a lockup or a crash. Plus there is no front light and even if you have a light cover, you do notice when the battery is getting weak. Plus the light is not nearly as even as a front light. And if reading in bed with someone else trying to sleep, a front light is less obtrusive.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:51 AM   #15
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem with Sony Readers is they really bog down with high-res mages (such as the cover and the title page). They don't have the memory and/or the processor to properly hand;e them and if there are too many high-res images, there could be a lockup or a crash. Plus there is no front light and even if you have a light cover, you do notice when the battery is getting weak. Plus the light is not nearly as even as a front light. And if reading in bed with someone else trying to sleep, a front light is less obtrusive.
I'm sure the OP knows there are more modern readers available. I did, after all, refer him/her to the Kobo forum if they want more info on the Libra or other Kobo readers.

I was just pointing out that used Sonys may be available in case he/she likes Sony and doesn't care about some of the things you mentioned (maybe he/she doesn't read books with a lot of images, or doesn't care about having a light).

The only reason I quit using my Sony reader earlier this year was that it lost the ability to get library books directly due to Overdrive changes. Otherwise my T3 with the lighted cover was working just fine for my purposes. It almost never locked up.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote