Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-02-2015, 10:55 AM   #1
burnafterreading
Groupie
burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Arc7HD/10HD, smartphones
best reading app for me - sideloaded books only

on my tablets, i use Google Play Books, Kobo's app, and (soon) the Kindle app for books i buy from the respective stores. however, for sideloaded books, i'm not sure which NEW app to pick...

1 - i want this to be a separate app so that i know which books are sideloaded and therefore NOT synched to the other tablet/reader/device
2 - ability to read epub, mobi, and possibly txt and pdf
3 - i can set up folders or groups so that if i load 500 books, they're somewhat organized (ideally via PC USB connection, but that might be asking too much)
4 - it can sort and display using the "series" and "series number" metadata
5 - i can pay a few bucks for it, doesn't need to be free

&
burnafterreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:01 PM   #2
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
There are many excellent choices when it comes to independent e-book readers when using Android with Mantano, Moon+, Cool Reader and Aldiko probably being the best. I peronally use Mantano as my primary reader but I have gone back and forth with Moon+ over the years. I think Mantano has the best management options for large libraries where I prefer the customization options available with Moon+ but both are good products in both departments. Moon+ has an advantage for you in that it can handle mobi files. I use calibre to convert mobi files to epubs so it has never been an issue for me. And while I haven't talked about Aldiko or Cool Reader they are ecellent products as well. I think you would be happy with any of them.

If you want to explore your options, I believe they all have free editions, you can use. They also all have good websites that will provide more information than you find on Goggle play for instance. There is also the option of browsing YouTube for additional information.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2015, 11:01 PM   #3
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Late to the party here, but after reading your requirement for folders and organization capabilities, I have to throw in a plug for Calibre Companion. It's almost like having Calibre on your device, and it handles grouping, series, etc., flawlessly. It's also great if you like to try different readers. No need to learn each reader's file storage requirements. You simply pick the book you want to read, then select the reader to use, and away you go. Actively supported, and well worth the couple of bucks to get it.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:36 AM   #4
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I'd skip Mantano as an option completely it doesn't even remember your reading position at the present time which makes for a really infuriating experience. They have had weeks to fix this and so far absolutely nothing or any sign at all from them they intend to.

I'm using Moon+ at the minute but I can't say how it compares to anything else and I only bought it because Mantano was badly broken,
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:59 AM   #5
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
On my tablet I have tried fbreader and moon reader pro. But I keep going back and only using my kindle app. I also use calibre to email books to my kindle app, this stores my ebooks as docs in the amazon cloud. I get almost all of my books from Amazon, I am using amazon unlimited kindle books when ever I can.
cvkemp is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2015, 11:32 AM   #6
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I'd skip Mantano as an option completely it doesn't even remember your reading position at the present time which makes for a really infuriating experience. They have had weeks to fix this and so far absolutely nothing or any sign at all from them they intend to.

I'm using Moon+ at the minute but I can't say how it compares to anything else and I only bought it because Mantano was badly broken,
Ditto on Mantano having tanked. I asked them about not returning to the open book after I had gone to the Android main page - they said it was Android's fault (although my other ereader apps go back to the book). I also asked about it going to current books listing instead of the bookshelf - new feature they said. Totally given up on the broken book page as they won't answer that one.

I'm now using Pocketbook in conjunction with Calibre Companion and couldn't be happier.

oops - I see you just want to sideload books - Calibre Companion won't work for you, but Pocketbook will.

Last edited by peaceridge; 02-11-2015 at 11:33 AM. Reason: update
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:38 AM   #7
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Ditto on Mantano having tanked. I asked them about not returning to the open book after I had gone to the Android main page - they said it was Android's fault (although my other ereader apps go back to the book). I also asked about it going to current books listing instead of the bookshelf - new feature they said. Totally given up on the broken book page as they won't answer that one.

I'm now using Pocketbook in conjunction with Calibre Companion and couldn't be happier.

oops - I see you just want to sideload books - Calibre Companion won't work for you, but Pocketbook will.
I am a new Pocketbook convert.
I used to use Moon+, but the formatting of epubs is really hit and miss.

The only fault I can find with Pocketbook is that it doesn't read all metadata of my books. Not even the Summary.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:12 AM   #8
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
I am a new Pocketbook convert.
I used to use Moon+, but the formatting of epubs is really hit and miss.

The only fault I can find with Pocketbook is that it doesn't read all metadata of my books. Not even the Summary.
If you don't mind connecting over wifi, Calibre Companion (CC) keeps all your metadata on your device. Then, you just click to read on the ereader of your choice.

My only dislike of Pocketbook is that it uses the same files as CC, so I can't delete the book after reading it or mark it read as it will delete off of CC.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:18 AM   #9
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you don't mind connecting over wifi, Calibre Companion (CC) keeps all your metadata on your device. Then, you just click to read on the ereader of your choice.

My only dislike of Pocketbook is that it uses the same files as CC, so I can't delete the book after reading it or mark it read as it will delete off of CC.
Yeah, I use CC for organizing and launching my books. I just use Pocketbook to read them.

But what I missed about Moon+ is the pop-up for book info. And it has the summary, and other Metadata in it.

And also the bookmarking. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but I can't make a bookmark without adding a note first. Granted, I usually leave that blank, but it is still a hassel compared to just pressing on a corner and marking it.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:37 PM   #10
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
And also the bookmarking. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but I can't make a bookmark without adding a note first. Granted, I usually leave that blank, but it is still a hassel compared to just pressing on a corner and marking it.
I didn't know that you could even add a bookmark after adding a note! Yeah, I would like the bookmark only function, too.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:45 PM   #11
hleo12
Guru

Quote:
I didn't know that you could even add a bookmark after adding a note! Yeah, I would like the bookmark only function, too.
I'm curious. How do you add notes?

'Cause this is what I do. And as far as I can dig up, this is the only way to (or rather the app's way) of creating a bookmark.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1424108641346.png
Views:	453
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	134936

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1424108655692.png
Views:	465
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	134937

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1424108673550.png
Views:	446
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	134938

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1424108686764.png
Views:	475
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	134939

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1424108700417.png
Views:	464
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	134940

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1424108713381.png
Views:	450
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	134941

It just irks me that an ebook reader app doesn't have a normal bookmark function...
Old 02-16-2015, 12:56 PM   #12
peaceridge
Guru

Yes, that's the way I add them. I think this must be a fairly new app they developed for the ereaders first. I'm hoping they will upgrade it to add some of the other functionality. I can't find anywhere to send them questions - or rather the only place was a hardware person and they knew less than me, so we are kind of on our own.

Quote:
I'm curious. How do you add notes?

'Cause this is what I do. And as far as I can dig up, this is the only way to (or rather the app's way) of creating a bookmark.
Attachment 134936
Attachment 134937
Attachment 134938
Attachment 134939
Attachment 134940
Attachment 134941

It just irks me that an ebook reader app doesn't have a normal bookmark function...
Old 02-16-2015, 02:50 PM   #13
hleo12
Guru

Quote:
Yes, that's the way I add them. I think this must be a fairly new app they developed for the ereaders first. I'm hoping they will upgrade it to add some of the other functionality. I can't find anywhere to send them questions - or rather the only place was a hardware person and they knew less than me, so we are kind of on our own.
Another problem that I'm having right now is that Pocketbook seems to have a mind of its own when it comes to fonts.

This has been driving me insane for the past few hours. No matter what font I choose it never changes. It was fine a few chapters ago. It seems intermittent. There are times when the font is fine, but when I get back to reading it goes to sh!t.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:52 PM   #14
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Another problem that I'm having right now is that Pocketbook seems to have a mind of its own when it comes to fonts.

This has been driving me insane for the past few hours. No matter what font I choose it never changes. It was fine a few chapters ago. It seems intermittent. There are times when the font is fine, but when I get back to reading it goes to sh!t.
I have noticed that some books have more trouble with fonts than others. But most of my books are fine. Wonder if it is something to do with the book's encoding?
Old 02-16-2015, 09:42 PM   #15
hleo12
Guru

Quote:
I have noticed that some books have more trouble with fonts than others. But most of my books are fine. Wonder if it is something to do with the book's encoding?
I can't say for sure. But it happens randomly.

All my books have been processed by Calibre though.

But it's a liveable situation. I've tried about 5 different apps last night and Pocketbook really is the best out of them when it comes to my needs. Even that Prestigio app that I thought would be good but it's laggy as heck.