Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #121
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Well, books are a different use case to magazines and newspapers. Can we ignore newspapers as they have a range of formatting from 'like a web page' to 'as print'?

Books, you want the best combination of width, weight, and screen resolution (ppi) - which is partially dependent on the size of your hands and the quality of your eyesight. Screen size isn't so important, but most eReaders are comfortable with 6", and you're starting to sacrifice convenience for words on the page much beyond that.

So (without owning any of the above, but going by the reviews) I'd give Books to the Nexus 7, on the grounds that while the Kindle app is available for all the tablets it's easier to step outside of Amazon with the Nexus than the Kindle Fire HD. The iPad's size scores against it, and the iPad mini has a lower screen resolution (and costs more than the other smaller devices).

Magazines, you really need screen space with good resolution. I'm not convinced that 7" devices are big enough to read magazines comfortably. Even on my 10" tablet I find that I always have to zoom into the page with Zinio, and the amount of scrolling around will be much higher with the smaller tablets. Here I think the retina 9.7" iPads must shine, as the higher resolution (than on my tablet) will make the zoomed out pages more readable.

The device not on your list, though, which might bridge the gap is the Nook HD.

Graham
Thanks for the input.. I think Nook HD will be in stores Nov 2, so I will check that item out as well.. for now I will use my ipad 1 and my KPW..
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #122
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
With there latest release they have surpassed themselves at becoming true grifter's (Confidence tricksters) of the electronic world.And only people who are mesmerized by a shiny APPLE symbol will buy them as they are totally outclassed by other manufacturers in both performance and value for money
Sadly not everybody sees through the smoke. Even with its list of shortcomings, it's going to sell well.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #123
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
So, quik ? trying not to go off subject.. what are your folks opinions of the best (optimale) tablet for reading books, magazines and newspapers.. Nexus7, Kindle Fire, Fire HD or iPad? (mini should be comparable to the iPad) only smaller..
Thanks in advance...
I've listed my req's here and there but if you're asking, I'm looking for a "hardcover-class" color eReader to pair with my existing eink models. I've played with 7in Android tablets in 4x3 and 16x9 aspect ratios and 7in is too small for my goals. I've played with the Ipads and other 10incher and they're too heavy and bulky. 8-9in looks to be my sweetspot, especially 9in.

Video and gaming I don't care about, web-surfing and email, I do. Digital comics are on my horizon. I do want access to as many major reading apps as possible (Kindle, Nook, Kobo, Bluefire, Coolreader, Aldiko, etc). I want as close to a universal reader as possible.

I was keeping an eye out for the Mini because of the projected size and weigh but knowing Apple's pricing philosophy I wasn't expecting them to hit my value equation. (Which they completely missed even though they came in $20 cheaper than I expected.)

I *am* actively tracking the FireHD9 and the NookHD+. Bth are *exactlly* the size of a very thin hardcover book, albeit a tad heavier than ideal.
I'm keeping an eye out to see what the Nexus 10 brings to the table.
I'd like a US$300 price but I will go up to $400 if the RAM, screen, and battery-life merit it.
I suspect the Nexus 10 is going to be both bigger and heavier than I prefer.
I suspect B&N will not wise up and open up the Nook to app side-loading.
I suspect I'll end up with the 32GB FireHD9 at $369.

Different folks have different value equations but I suggest you list what you care about and what you don't care about and go from there.

G'luck!
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #124
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Sadly not everybody sees through the smoke. Even with its list of shortcomings, it's going to sell well.
Im sure your rite fella, it wont surprise me if you see people lining up in the the streets for days and nights to boost there egos so they can wave the latest apple rip off in front of there friends faces

Even though it's 2011 technology and is well over $100+ more than any of it's competitors is wont deter plenty of people from buying it

That gives me a idea,maybe the next time i go to the toilet i will put it in a bag and then leave to bake out in the sun and then spray it silver to resemble a aluminum finish .Then stick one of those $2 apple symbols off ebay on it and charge as much as i can for it

You could be looking at a future millionaire

Last edited by darksaber35; 10-24-2012 at 03:17 PM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #125
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
And, sadly, some people cry 'fire' when there isn't one.

Am i excited about this item? Not really. As a part of their product line, I don't understand why they would release a new iPod Touch in September, only to follow up a month later with this. To me, they just seem to similar in function and too close in price to warrant offering both items.

To what some see as shortcomings, I don't need to know what's under the hood, or touch screen in this case. I wouldn't know an A chip from a chocolate chip, and at this point have little interest in learning. All I need to know is that all I have to do is take it out of the box, enter my ID, let it sync, and then never have to think about it again. When I say "it just works" this is specifically what I'm referring to.

Does it need to have the newest or fastest 'whatever' to make it work well? I understand some people look at the price of the item versus cost of the components and expect more, but the components aren't going to enable me to read a book or magazine faster, type out a an email or response more quickly. If I can do all of those things, or shop from wherever, or watch Netflix or an iTunes movie, without having any problems, I'm happy.

Should my experiences start to change, should the "it just works" stop working in the ways I expect it to, then I'll have to get more involved or become more aware. But until then, all I need to know is it's an Apple.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #126
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
To what some see as shortcomings, I don't need to know what's under the hood, or touch screen in this case. I wouldn't know an A chip from a chocolate chip, and at this point have little interest in learning. All I need to know is that all I have to do is take it out of the box, enter my ID, let it sync, and then never have to think about it again. When I say "it just works" this is specifically what I'm referring to.

Does it need to have the newest or fastest 'whatever' to make it work well? I understand some people look at the price of the item versus cost of the components and expect more, but the components aren't going to enable me to read a book or magazine faster, type out a an email or response more quickly. If I can do all of those things, or shop from wherever, or watch Netflix or an iTunes movie, without having any problems, I'm happy.
Well, when apple talk about the A6X, or they new retina or whatever, they certainly buzz it up, as if it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, and consumers gobble it up and drool all over the place. Then, when it comes to shipping year old technology at overinflated prices, the consumers simply say "well, it doesn't matter what's in the inside". Really, no wonder apple is swimming in gold, their PR machine is going on overdrive.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #127
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
.... all I need to know is it's an Apple.
And that's all some (myself included) need to know in order to avoid it.

And no this is not an anti or knee jerk reaction, it is well reasoned and while I'm not going to spout out all the details, but will mention walled garden, corporate control, lack of choice, lack of flexibility and expense.

Last edited by kennyc; 10-24-2012 at 03:29 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #128
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
And that's all some (myself included) need to know in order to avoid it.

And no this is not an anti or knee jerk reaction, it is well reasoned and while I'm not going to spout out all the details, but will mention walled garden, corporate control, lack of choice, lack of flexibility and expense.
How do you differentiate between Amazon's and Apple's walled gardens? Is one better than the other? Except for expense, those other things apply to Amazon's Kindle Fire as well, maybe even more so.

A $329 iPad Mini seems to have been forced into Apple's product line.

FTR, I own a KFHD, GTab 2 7.0, and iPad 2. I'm no company's fanboy, just a simple fan of technology itself.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #129
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
That's for wifi and entry level model, without high resolution like iPad 3. So, way too expensive, IMO ...
We consumers are spoiled by the likes of Amazon, Kobo, Nook, Google, and others selling their e-readers and tablets at (or even below) cost to drive up marketshare and to (hopefully) make money back on the content (the razor/razorblade model). The reason Kobo was sold to Rakuten was because the capital investments in developing new e-readers and tablets, only to sell them at cost, was becoming a huge financial drain on Chapters/Indigo so they sold Kobo to a company with deep pockets and a long-term, patient vision for the company.

That's not Apple's way, they use the content as a way to sell the devices, and to sell the devices at significant profits. Maybe that will continue to be successful for them in the face of growing competition, or maybe it won't, but that's what they're trying to do. And you can't blame them.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #130
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I suspect B&N will not wise up and open up the Nook to app side-loading.
Now that the Nook business has been spun off, and Microsoft has been brought in as a junior partner, they may start smartening-up. We can hope. Microsoft certainly has a more open platform vision than B&N. Windows is perhaps the most open commercially successful platform of all time, and even the Xbox is a more open platform than any previous game system (look at its support for self-published, peer-reviewed indie games and apps on the Xbox, something the competition wouldn't dream of doing).
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #131
bugjd
bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, paperwhite, iPhone 4s, iPad
okay, i've seen a couple of the posts now like what you always see after an apple event, so I guess I'll ask it this way - why do people get upset at what other people spend money on? is there any reason at all to care what people spend their own money on? maybe that's why i don't get the passions Apple generates because I can't see caring what a stranger spends his/her cash on.

is it that you think people giving Apple money is somehow ruining your own experiences with different manufacturers in some way? what is it that is upsetting to you personally when someone enjoys/spends money on something you think is inferior?
bugjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #132
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugjd View Post
okay, i've seen a couple of the posts now like what you always see after an apple event, so I guess I'll ask it this way - why do people get upset at what other people spend money on? is there any reason at all to care what people spend their own money on? maybe that's why i don't get the passions Apple generates because I can't see caring what a stranger spends his/her cash on.

is it that you think people giving Apple money is somehow ruining your own experiences with different manufacturers in some way? what is it that is upsetting to you personally when someone enjoys/spends money on something you think is inferior?

It's our social imperative.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #133
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
Now that the Nook business has been spun off, and Microsoft has been brought in as a junior partner, they may start smartening-up. We can hope. Microsoft certainly has a more open platform vision than B&N. Windows is perhaps the most open commercially successful platform of all time, and even the Xbox is a more open platform than any previous game system (look at its support for self-published, peer-reviewed indie games and apps on the Xbox, something the competition wouldn't dream of doing).
Microsoft's vision for the future is NOT open. On Windows 8, apps designed for older versions of Windows will still work (for now), however you will be forced to purchase new Metro/Modern/Whatevertheycallit apps through Microsoft.

I was holding out for a Surface, but after learning this I'm thinking not. It completely shocked me, and I suspect it's the beginning of the end of Microsoft.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #134
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
How do you differentiate between Amazon's and Apple's walled gardens? Is one better than the other? Except for expense, those other things apply to Amazon's Kindle Fire as well, maybe even more so.

A $329 iPad Mini seems to have been forced into Apple's product line.

FTR, I own a KFHD, GTab 2 7.0, and iPad 2. I'm no company's fanboy, just a simple fan of technology itself.
Amazon allows you to sideload. Apple does not. Still, I prefer not to be walled in by either. As do most people when they are given the choice. Trouble is that when you don't wall people in, you don't make as much money and it becomes more difficult to provide a compelling ecosystem. Although I think Google is doing OK.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #135
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
It's our social imperative.
I like that word.

...let's see if I can use it in a sentence.

It's my imperative to find bananas
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote