Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
New Sony models and EPUB

Hi!

I am preparing for the time when my PRS-505 no longer works, either due to battery issues or due to me damaging it :-)

I wonder: How complete/fixed is the new Sony models' (PRS-650, or even PRS-T1 if anyone already has it) EPUB implementation compared to PRS-505's? I believe the block-justification issue has been fixed a long time ago (as early as PRS-900, I think). I am not sure about the page numbers in the right margin, and I am very concerned about the hyperlink support - while PRS-505 supports them, the implementation is very slow because ADE does not cache book data and needs to parse a new chapter-file every time I move between chapters - once when I follow the hyperlink, then again when I return back to the starting point. There are other issues with the EPUB implementation, but these three are the most painful for me.

Thanks,

Pepak
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:34 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
I believe the block-justification issue has been fixed a long time ago (as early as PRS-900, I think).
I have a 950 and this is definitely fixed, now every book I read is left justified. This is by choice, the 950 respects the settings in the css.

Quote:
I am not sure about the page numbers in the right margin
I was never bothered by these on the 505. I just looked carefully and they do not exist on the 950.

Quote:
and I am very concerned about the hyperlink support - while PRS-505 supports them, the implementation is very slow because ADE does not cache book data and needs to parse a new chapter-file every time I move between chapters
It seems to cache the data, because returning to the chapter is slightly faster then going to the footnote location. With the increased processor speed the jump to the footnote is slightly longer than a normal page turn (faster than a 505 page turn) and returning is just as fast as a normal page turn.

Hope this helps.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Yes, this helps. Thanks!
Old 09-18-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
pepak
Guru

Actually, one more question: Is the !important specifier supported? It doesn't work with PRS-505's ADE.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Actually, one more question: Is the !important specifier supported? It doesn't work with PRS-505's ADE.
Give me an example I can insert into my PRS+ css that I have on my machine and I'll let you know the results later tonight.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
quisvir
Addict
quisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Yes, it is supported. I use it all the time
quisvir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I also use !important all the time, for controlling font-size on both my PRS650 and PRS505. Used in PRSPlus css similar to this:

Code:
body {font-size: 0.95em !important}
In what way has it not worked for you on your PRS505?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote