Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-15-2006, 01:00 PM   #1
THJahar
Zealot
THJahar is on a distinguished road

Device: Jinke V2 Prototype
UK Launch when?

Seeing as the reader wouldn't require any additional language developemnt for the UK, I was wondering if anybody 'In the know' knew if Sony has plans for a UK launch of the reader.
Now I know there is localisation issues concerning book releases for the UK.
But I can't see as it would be a great stretch to create a UK specific Connect store.
So any thoughts?
THJahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 03:28 PM   #2
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
So far it looks as if Sony have no plans for launch outside the US. Which is a shame as I would most definitely use a UK connect store and without doubt buy a second reader.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:16 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
From what I've read they are testing the US market first. If it's successful, they will consider expanding to other countries.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:10 AM   #4
THJahar
Zealot
THJahar is on a distinguished road

Device: Jinke V2 Prototype
Knowing that the reader sold out due to overwhelming demand and the fact that our good friend geekraver is doing a brisk trade with us British.
I have no doubt that Sony corporate do visit 'the foremost' eink site on the web.
With that in mind hopefully a thread like this could prompt them to 'make a statement' soon about UK plan's
THJahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:19 AM   #5
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I asked them about this previously and got the following back:
Quote:
Unfortunately, we do not have any further information regarding the release of the PRS-500 at this present moment.

Kind regards,

Sony Style UK
This was on the 26th September, so it may be worth someone asking again now
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:41 AM   #6
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by THJahar
Knowing that the reader sold out due to overwhelming demand and the fact that our good friend geekraver is doing a brisk trade with us British.
I have no doubt that Sony corporate do visit 'the foremost' eink site on the web.
With that in mind hopefully a thread like this could prompt them to 'make a statement' soon about UK plan's
A good marketing firm will not use a fan base in it's studies because they represent an extreme in a study. They are more preoccupied with what Joe Middle Who thinks.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:59 AM   #7
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Unfortunately the majority of reviews I've seen don't seem too favourable. It's almost like tech writers are afraid of new tech. Same goes for a lot of the comments on the likes of engadget, digg and slashdot. I know you can't expect glowing reports but repeatedly seeing the same uninformed opinions makes you wonder whether the Reader will gain acceptance in the face of such complete stubbornness.

Going off the vast majority of comments from tech savvy users, they don't seem keen on the idea of e-books at all. Strange state of affairs if you ask me. So conquering average Joe's preconceptions is going to be a tough one.

The closed minded nature of the tech press in general, regarding all new products these days is puzzling to me. Engadget rarely post a positive article on anything and so tend to slant the following comments.

Last edited by ultim8fury; 10-16-2006 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:11 AM   #8
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultim8fury
The closed minded nature of the tech press in general, regarding all new products these days is puzzling to me. Engadget rarely post a positive article on anything and so tend to slant the following comments.
Its been going on for quite a while... Check out the comment of the Ipod being released on Slashdot :

"No wireless. Less space than a nomad. Lame."
http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl.../1816257&tid=3

I think its because tech writers have been burned so many times before they can be bothered to get excited anymore...!
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:14 AM   #9
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
I agree. I get the idea that these sites just slag off products to make themselves look cool. Either that or they're tired of the whole scene altogether or embarrassed of being a geek.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:33 AM   #10
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Actually, I think you'll find that these guys are pretty excited about tech and gadgets. But they are bombarded with new stuff and new announcements, so they are pretty picky about which ones really get them excited. And they have their favorite stuff like all of us do also. Everyone has certain products or companies that just get you excited. Apple is the most common, I guess.

But I wish people could see past all the little things and realize how awesome the Sony Reader is. I think if the price were <$100 people would be going crazy over it. That day will come eventually, but not tomorrow.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:40 AM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
But I wish people could see past all the little things and realize how awesome the Sony Reader is. I think if the price were <$100 people would be going crazy over it. That day will come eventually, but not tomorrow.
Not tomorrow nor the day after!
Sony is not known for any "largesse".
But they might make a successor built in Asia with a more popular flavour!
Old 10-16-2006, 09:56 AM   #12
ultim8fury
Addict

The tech press aren't there to make predictions on a devices success or failure IMO. Concentrating on calling it's rise or fall is half the problem. By trying to be right it's easier to say it sucks and almost force failure on a product than to give an honest impression and let consumers decide for themselves.

I probably shouldn't have quoted /. as a source for negative tech press as they've always been negative about everything to almost comic effect as shown by the iPod link posted above hehe.

taking the Reader as an example Engadget have been reporting for the last few weeks that the reader has been delayed. Clearly not the case and obviously someone somewhere has their wires crossed, but that kind of press doesn't help anyone.

Being burned should never be an issue for a review/news/blog site. How can you be burned if you're honest ?. If a product then goes on to fail then it's at the feet of the manufacturer not the review site. You don't get bad rep for honesty.

It just seems the recipe for writing a successful blog these days is

if it's from a major corp - MS, Sony etc. Then it's bad or a copy of <product X> from <small corp>

if it's from a small upstart - then it'll fail in <intended market>

From anyone not covered by these 2 rules then snide comments and misinformation will suffice.

Rampant fanaticism and ignorance has owned the net.

I was very impressed with the reviews that MR did for the Reader after the visit you guys made to Sony. It was impartial, assessing the strengths and weaknesses of the device without the side commentary that's become so popular about root-kits and exploding batteries. I got the information I was after by reading those reviews. That kind of reporting is what I would like to see Engadget and Gizmodo and all those other sites, go back to.

Last edited by ultim8fury; 10-16-2006 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:29 AM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:

I was very impressed with the reviews that MR did for the Reader after the visit you guys made to Sony. It was impartial, assessing the strengths and weaknesses of the device without the side commentary that's become so popular about root-kits and exploding batteries. I got the information I was after by reading those reviews. That kind of reporting is what I would like to see Engadget and Gizmodo and all those other sites, go back to.
Right about that. I was impressed also.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:43 AM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Thanks for the kind words, guys. I appreciate them.

I should say that that was a lot of work to turn out for just one time, so that may be part of why those blogs don't do it all the time.

Fortunately, I don't thing that John Q. Reader reads engadget, et. al. all that much (my parents have never heard of it except from me, and they read a great deal). Unfortunately, they're probably not reading MobileRead either.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:20 PM   #15
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
Right about that. I was impressed also.
Ditto. I take "ground truth" over any other ironic/cynical/faux-cool write-up by Engadget, The Register, etc.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote