Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-12-2020, 12:48 PM   #1
mcgarvan
mcgarvan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
New epub makes ereader reboot when selected

Hi,
I have a sony PRS 650. I recently purchased a book from Kobo, downloaded it as usual and loaded it into calibre with all my other books. When I sent it to my sony and tried reading it, everytime I tried, it rebooted the sony. No problem reading it in the calibre reader.
In the past I have had the occasional problem with my reader with epubs where the blocks of .xhtml text are too large for it to handle. You get it seizing up when reading after a few pages. The solution for that has been to convert the epub file to epub and modify the output so that the blocks of .xhtml text are split so that none are larger than 60kb.
While not exactly the same symptoms I tried that, despite the fact that none of the files in the original epub exceeded the 60kb limit. The only difference it made was that when I selected the book I could see the cover. If I tried moving to the next page then the book went blank and rebooted again.
I have now tried the converted book in a borrowed Nook Glowlight with no problems.
Can anyone suggest another approach or some way of identifying precisely what the problem is?
mcgarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:21 PM   #2
sadowski
Connoisseur
sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, Kobo mini, PB mini
What you describe has happened occasionally to me as well, sometimes when opening a book and sometimes at specific pages within a book. The problem usually went away when regenerating the EPUB with calibre. I never found out the real cause but calibre does some things to EPUB, including "flattening the CSS".

I have a Sony 350 and I am pretty sure the 650 and the 350 have the same software for reading EPUB, as they came at the same time.

/Jens
sadowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:31 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgarvan View Post
Hi,
I have a sony PRS 650. I recently purchased a book from Kobo, downloaded it as usual and loaded it into calibre with all my other books. When I sent it to my sony and tried reading it, everytime I tried, it rebooted the sony. No problem reading it in the calibre reader.
In the past I have had the occasional problem with my reader with epubs where the blocks of .xhtml text are too large for it to handle. You get it seizing up when reading after a few pages. The solution for that has been to convert the epub file to epub and modify the output so that the blocks of .xhtml text are split so that none are larger than 60kb.
While not exactly the same symptoms I tried that, despite the fact that none of the files in the original epub exceeded the 60kb limit. The only difference it made was that when I selected the book I could see the cover. If I tried moving to the next page then the book went blank and rebooted again.
I have now tried the converted book in a borrowed Nook Glowlight with no problems.
Can anyone suggest another approach or some way of identifying precisely what the problem is?
What book is it that is causing the problem? Does it have DRM? If so, can you remove the DRM? If it has no DRM, install the ScrambleEbook plugin, scramble it and try it on your 650. If the scrambled eBook still causes a reboot, attach the scrambled eBook to this thread and I can take a look at it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, rebooting