Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
daledaj
daledaj began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
Book Lists

I am looking for a Top 100 Novels list. There are several out there such as BBC, Guardian, Radcliff, etc, and all very good. But they all seem only go through 1998 give or take a year.

Does anybody know of a list that is up to date and current (that is goes through 2011 or even present?)

Thanks
daledaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I think the World Book Night top 100 is the most recent popular-vote based one I am aware of, but I can't find a good link for it, and it wasn't restricted to novels.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Trouble is, what criteria do you want to apply to the "Top 100" you want to read ?

I find these lists usually reflect something market-based, but would like to know of a "nuetral" one - even though that'll be someone else's opinion.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Check out GoodReads, there are plenty of list there including top 100s
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:02 AM   #5
flipreads
Connoisseur
flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
What criteria are you looking for?

Each one has a different criteria, with leanings/biases towards a certain factor.

NYT Best-Seller List for example isn't actually based on best-sellers. (That would be USA Today http://books.usatoday.com/list/index)
flipreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2012, 04:49 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by daledaj View Post
I am looking for a Top 100 Novels list. There are several out there such as BBC, Guardian, Radcliff, etc, and all very good. But they all seem only go through 1998 give or take a year.

Does anybody know of a list that is up to date and current (that is goes through 2011 or even present?)

Thanks
What do you mean by "top 100"? "Top" by what criteria?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Time Magazine did the Top 100 from 1923 (the year Time Mag started) to 2005 (when the list was published). The one on Time's own site is a bit difficult to navigate so here someone has re-listed them. Note they did not rank from 1 to 100.

http://www.listal.com/list/times-100...st-novels-1923

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
daledaj
daledaj began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
Top 100 Best Selling or Popular Novels

Quote:
Originally Posted by daledaj View Post

Thanks
Most of the replies received (Thank You all, btw) have one common theme: Define my Criterea. My apologies. Should have done this in the beginning.

I am looking for Top 100 all time novels--primarily fiction. The old classics, and the new thrillers.

I have found two lists on wikipedia. The first is a lists that shows the best selling novels in the USA from 1900 to 2010. Outstanding list, and actually shows the Top 10 books, by year starting with 1900.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States
The problem with this one is that it is geared only toward the US I am however, looking for something similar on a more international scale.

The second list is actually a list of top best selling books ever, and even shows approximate number of copies sold (where it can) Did you know that Don Quixote is THE # 1 best selling novel of all time? This list also shows religious books (Bible, Koran, etc) and a number of self-help books, which I am not interested in at this time.

In my search, I have also discovered that 'Best Seller' does NOT necessarily mean "Most Popular". As stated, there are several lists out that show the most popular...each a bit different than the others. This is to be expected. List such as this can be found at modern library, radcliff, bbc, guardian, etc. Unfortunately, however, these lists seem to be dated...many as old as 1998. Which is basically what I am seeking...a list that is more current. I found a BBC list from (I believe) 2004, but thats as 'recent' as I have found.

Hope this makes it more clear. Thank You all for your time, effort, and patience.
daledaj is offline   Reply With Quote