Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-29-2011, 01:50 AM   #1
purple_fishy
Zealot
purple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook STR, iPad Air 2
Which e-reader to buy fiance?

I would really like to get my fiance an e-reader for Father's Day. He has wi-fi at his house so 3G is not a necessity.

Things that I am looking for in an ereader for him are:
- ease of use (he is not willing to go through hoops to get his books)
- durability and quality packaging (We decided that the Kindle feels really flimsy. He has used my classic Nook a few times and likes the feel of it.)
- ability to get ebooks from multiple stores, not be chained to one major branch.
- ability to organize shelves/collection easily

I am debating between a classic Nook, a Kobo, and a sony 350 or 650. I know the Nook and Kobo have new touchscreen versions coming out soon but I am not willing to order something without trying it out first.

purple_fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
By not willing to go through hoops to get his books, do you mean download from the computer? If you mean that then you would need to go with the Sony950 if you wish to go with a Sony. They are on sale & some Best Buys for $199.99. I have a Sony 350 & find it a very nice reader. They are on sale in a few places, Best Buy(pick up at store) & Borders online.But I have to download via my computer which is pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

The Kindle is not actually flimsy...At least I don't think so, but the Nook Classic (Nook Classics are on sale at Best Buy for $119.99) is definitely more solid feeling. I have The Sony 350, Nook Classic & Kindle3.

So if he wants to get books from multiple stores & not strip DRM & change formats, the Nook Classic will work with a number stores & places as do the Sonys. You can buy with your Kindle at various places too.

I do not have any experience with other e-readers, but I'm sure others will be along to tell you about their readers.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2011, 01:26 AM   #3
LucidDreams
Tech Reader
LucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader Pocket Edition PRS-350
Out of the list you provided I would recommend Sony 350. The classic Nook isn't a bad eReader but it uses an older eInk screen so it's hard to recommend. But if that's not an issue then that might be the way to go since it has a larger screen. The original Kobo reader is a bit more basic out of the bunch so it's probably not the best choice. The Sony 650 is so hard to find in stock nowadays and when you do it's listed at full MSRP or higher so it might not even be a choice.

Pomtroll made a good suggestion, the Sony PRS-950. If you can still find it on sale it's competitive in price with other eReaders with the advantage of a 7" screen and 3G.

Last edited by LucidDreams; 05-30-2011 at 01:30 AM.
LucidDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The timing is going to be a bit tight for father's day but I think you might want to look very closely at the Nook STR: it has the newer pearl screen, touch, and side mounted paging buttons like your classic, plus a stylus, wifi, and an sdhc slot. That is pretty much a clean sweep of desirable features. And it lists for $139.

It also runs android 2.x just like the Nook Color (it sounds like color lcd is out, right?) which suggests it may quickly get hacked to let you install other reader apps, like Kindle, Aldiko, Coolreader, etc.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If you have a Nook, get him a Nook. That way you can share an account if you want.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2011, 04:04 PM   #6
purple_fishy
Zealot
purple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolate

Thanks everyone! We went ahead and got him a Nook. He wanted to be able to share books with me and I let him play around with my Nook and he found it very easy to use.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Nook Touch is shipping and seems to be popping up in stores. You might want to swing by a BN this weekend and see if he likes it. Or see if you like it. I would think that you would have plenty of time to return the one you just bought him for the latest and greatest if one of you wanted the touch.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
purple_fishy
Zealot

Yes , we were told we had 30 days to return it if we needed to. Hm... a Touch Nook sounds fun. We will wait til it comes to the store next week and try it out. Thanks for the quick replies!
Old 06-02-2011, 05:40 PM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

It is in stores today. Well, some stores. Scion is trying to resist the urge to drive 33 miles to go see one today.

Personally, I think she is going to fail miserably.