Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #31
Rachaelslp
Rachaelslp
Rachaelslp began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
So how is the Cruz now?

No recent posts so I thought I'd check. How is the Cruz reader rated now? Is there a better option for 150?

Rachael
Rachaelslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:05 AM   #32
fishhawk101
fishhawk101 began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505/nook
So, I sold my curz reader on ebay 2 days after buying it (borders won't let you return it). I agree that it is a turkey. Even though I lost $100, best decision ever. The new color nook came out and it is the perfect indoor ereader. The screen is like an ipad, the size is perfect, and it does just enough other stuff (like gmail) that it is a home run. Also, the software for the book library is near perfect.

I would only hesitate if you read outside alot. It is worth every penny.
fishhawk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2010, 05:58 AM   #33
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhawk101 View Post
So, I sold my curz reader on ebay 2 days after buying it (borders won't let you return it). I agree that it is a turkey. Even though I lost $100, best decision ever. The new color nook came out and it is the perfect indoor ereader. The screen is like an ipad, the size is perfect, and it does just enough other stuff (like gmail) that it is a home run. Also, the software for the book library is near perfect.

I would only hesitate if you read outside alot. It is worth every penny.
That's odd, I returned mine the next day. Said that if they didn't give me a platform to be able to fully check it out at the store then why would I buy it? They said okay, we'll give you a 7 day return.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:18 AM   #34
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhawk101 View Post
I would only hesitate if you read outside alot. ....
As is true of any LCD display on ebook reader, iPad, tablet or phone....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:21 PM   #35
dogmom
dogmom began at the beginning.

Device: franklin ebookman
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorah View Post
yeah-the e-reader specs seem pretty cool. for the $199 reader, it says Android apps can be installed, which is really great. At this point, I'm doing fine with my hacked PDN, and I got it knowing ahead of time that if I truly wanted to use the Android OS, I'd have to hack. So I don't down Pandigital for that-they did not make that part of their specs. But for those less adventurous, I'd guess it's worth the extra 20-30 or so bucks for the Cruz, although with some of the coupon deals, people have gotten their PDN for a lot less. But I'm definitely interested to hear about the Cruz. My PDN is stable and working fine, but all of this techno stuff interests me!
Just got my Cruz yesterday. Works pretty well. Really wanted it mostly for ereader and email. wireless works great and email loaded. Added Kindle for Android and was able to read my Amazon books. Only problem now is I have a lot of DRM *.prc files that I can't read in the Kindle app. Trying to find a work around. Really should work especially since for the last several months the mobi formats are listed as 'mobi/kindle' and show up as Kindle content on my PC--but Kindle won't read them. But earlier version of Kindle for PC did--now it won't--just love updates! And Amazon owns Mobi--damn them.

Anybody have a solution? There's also apparently not a mobipocket version for Android.
dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #36
tadlewis
tadlewis began at the beginning.

Device: Cruz Reader
Cruz Reader WiFi Improvement

My WiFi reception hasn't been to great so I opened the back of the Cruz Reader and found that there is a mini-PCI WiFi card readily accessible. Further examination showed that there are two ports for antennas to be attached but only one is being used. I purchased some antennas on Amazon ( Laptop Notebook Wifi Bluetooth WWAN/EVDO/HSDPA Broadband Internal Antenna ), separated them, and attached one to the extra port. I then configured the antenna in a large figure-eight pattern inside the back cover taking care to not come too close to the edges or interfere with any cover attachment ports. Used cellophane tape to hold it down and put the cover back on. My WiFi connection quality nearly tripled.

I put together a tutorial with pictures on how to do this if anyone is interested: http://tadlewis.com/CruzReader/index.html

tadlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #37
brfried
brfried began at the beginning.

Device: K3
I love love love my cruz reader. Works great as a reader. If you root the device, which is pretty easy following these instructions on slatedroid
You can then get any android app.

I have been very happy with mine especially for around $100 dollars.
brfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:55 AM   #38
plasticarmyman
plasticarmyman began at the beginning.

Device: Cruz Reader 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojohn View Post
I am new to the forum and a new Cruz Reader owner (came by UPS on 9/17/10).

So far, I don't regret the purchase. The touch screen isn't as accurate or responsive as I had hoped, but it's good enough for me. Plenty bright, beautiful colors, crisp, clear text.

Only two problems:
  1. Too much crapware, and no way to uninstall it until we have root. Does anyone know if someone is working on root?
  2. I installed barnacle on my rooted Moto Backflip, which now acts as an ad-hoc wifi network. My laptop connects flawlessly, but the Reader can't find the network and doesn't even connect when I attempt manual connection. Any clues?

Thanks, mojohn
now i know this was posted a while ago...but if you're interested in connecting your Cruz Reader to an Adhoc connection...i actually figured that out myself...seems no one else was concerned about it...
here's a link at SlateDroid to the thread where i list how to do it...

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/1752...adhoc-network/
plasticarmyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #39
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
I have had the Cruz Reader for 2 days now. No trouble connecting to wi-fi and it is a great ereader. The problem I have is viewing videos. The sound is fine but there is no picture,
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #40
bobc30_2
bobc30_2 began at the beginning.

Device: cruz reader 7"
Hi. To get viedos to work on the crez. Just down load this. skyfire-android(1).spk
Hope this helps Bob
bobc30_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #41
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow, that works great, thanks! Downloaded and set as the default browser.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #42
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfried View Post
I love love love my cruz reader. Works great as a reader. If you root the device, which is pretty easy following these instructions on slatedroid
You can then get any android app.

I have been very happy with mine especially for around $100 dollars.
true that, though I paid about $86 for it at woot a couple of weeks ago
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:59 PM   #43
benham
Guru

Me too. Good deal. If you download the Amazon App for Android you might not have to root it.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #44
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by benham View Post
Me too. Good deal. If you download the Amazon App for Android you might not have to root it.
for the amazon app you don't have to root it, you can get it from the cruz market, but to get others like kindle, then you have to root/flash a ROM
Old 06-04-2011, 07:33 PM   #45
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadlewis View Post
My WiFi reception hasn't been to great so I opened the back of the Cruz Reader and found that there is a mini-PCI WiFi card readily accessible. Further examination showed that there are two ports for antennas to be attached but only one is being used. I purchased some antennas on Amazon ( Laptop Notebook Wifi Bluetooth WWAN/EVDO/HSDPA Broadband Internal Antenna ), separated them, and attached one to the extra port. I then configured the antenna in a large figure-eight pattern inside the back cover taking care to not come too close to the edges or interfere with any cover attachment ports. Used cellophane tape to hold it down and put the cover back on. My WiFi connection quality nearly tripled.

I put together a tutorial with pictures on how to do this if anyone is interested: http://tadlewis.com/CruzReader/index.html

hey, any idea if I need that specific antenna model number? I found several ones at ebay for under $3 or $2 and at some reputable sites from china, also for under $2. They are also TYCO but the number of the goldish label is slightly different...any idea if they are basically the same? they seem to have the same type of connector
thanks in advance