Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-24-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
Armaced
Enthusiast
Armaced began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRS-505
Battery care for the PRS-505

Do you try to refrain from charging your ereader until the battery is mostly depleted?

With all of my other portable systems, I try to take care when charging the battery. I try to use up most or all of the charge before recharging it, which I believe lengthens the battery life.

With most devices, this is simple enough - I wait until they are nearly dead, then perform some battery intensive task to drain it just before recharging. However, the ereader presents a new challenge. Since it is so battery friendly, I have to (get to) go a long time without charging it. However, it charges whenever I connect to the computer, so I feel discouraged from syncing my ebooks very often.

Also, when I get down to the last bar on the charge, I don't know of a battery intensive operation which I could use to quickly drain the rest of it prior to charging.

Am I worrying too much? Is the battery not really that delicate? Or, if it is (as i believe the batteries for most other devices to be), has anyone developed some good habits for making battery care easier?
Armaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaced View Post
Do you try to refrain from charging your ereader until the battery is mostly depleted? With all of my other portable systems, I try to take care when charging the battery. I try to use up most or all of the charge before recharging it, which I believe lengthens the battery life.
This was useful behavior to prevent 'conditioning' of older battery tech but may even shorten the lifespan of newer generations of batteries which are found in most gadgets today, including your reader.

Specific tips for li-ion batteries are here, but the site provides great info for all kinds of batteries.

Last edited by acidzebra; 09-24-2009 at 06:41 PM. Reason: I speel good.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

Yes you are worrying too much.

Let’s say you have 1 week from your battery… charging a little from every connection just counts for that, a little, so charging a full charge or 20 little times affect the reader the same.

Let’s say the battery can accept 300 full recharges… I bet I’m seeing this at too loo on the number of charges and days they last… but humour me…

Then your reader will last: 300/52 (weeks) or 5.77 years!

Enjoy your reader and be happy it lasts so much… battery worries just lost its’ significance.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:04 PM   #4
Armaced
Enthusiast

Thank you both for your replies.

DD, I like your math, but this part is news to me:

Quote:
... charging a full charge or 20 little times affect the reader the same.

Is that true? It was my understanding that a bunch of little charges shortened the life of the battery considerably (though less with the newer technologies). However, if you have some authority on this issue, I will take your word for it.

Either way, you are probably right. Even if I abuse it (by my standards, charging whenever I feel like it), I will probably get an acceptable lifespan out of it.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:51 AM   #5
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
I'm still thinking about buying a backup Sony 505 while they are still available.

So... if I was to buy a second device as a backup in case my current Sony breaks...

How should I treat the backup -

- don't touch it until I need it (which could be any time between six months to two years).

- recharge it, to top up the battery (say) every month?

I guess what I am asking is: what is the best way to care for the battery in a Sony 505 which is going to sit on a shelf for an indefinite time?
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2009, 04:34 AM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
I'm still thinking about buying a backup Sony 505 while they are still available.

So... if I was to buy a second device as a backup in case my current Sony breaks...

How should I treat the backup -

- don't touch it until I need it (which could be any time between six months to two years).

- recharge it, to top up the battery (say) every month?

I guess what I am asking is: what is the best way to care for the battery in a Sony 505 which is going to sit on a shelf for an indefinite time?
Most agree, best would be to keep it always charged.
It doesn't have to be fully charged, but it shouldn't be "dry" for months either.
I try to (at least partially) charge all my readers about once per month.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:03 AM   #7
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Most agree, best would be to keep it always charged.
It doesn't have to be fully charged, but it shouldn't be "dry" for months either.
I try to (at least partially) charge all my readers about once per month.
Thank you.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:31 AM   #8
Armaced
Enthusiast

My understanding is that the best charge level for sitting on the shelf is around 40%. Now, I don't know why that is the best level, so take that as you will.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:20 PM   #9
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Hmm, I'd always heard Li-ion batteries preferred lots of little charges so mine gets charged almost every night.

Not terribly important in the end because the reader would still be quite functional even with only 1/2 its original battery capacity for me. And I don't expect to own my Sony for more than three years. But who knows? I'm not impressed enough with the newest batch to want to upgrade my 505 yet.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:18 PM   #10
Shiren
Connoisseur
Shiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505/iPod Touch
Yes, lithium-ion batteries like the one in the ebook reader and most electronics today prefer to be charged often rather than depleted first!

Personally, I always charge my PRS-505 when the first bar is gone.
Shiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:33 PM   #11
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

I’m no authority in the subject, but it’s just my personal experience with new batteries… especially with these devices.

Taking, per example, the information from one of the eBook reader makers - Irex , producers of the Iliad and the DR 1000S (http://www.irextechnologies.com/batteries):
“Battery-lifespan
A lithium-ion battery like the ones used in iRex’ products can deliver its maximum battery-life for a long time. After 400 charge-cycles the battery should still be able to achieve 80% of the maximum battery-life. Temperature can also influence the battery-lifespan, therefore it is best to use your device at temperatures between 0º and 35ºC (or 32º to 95ºF). The best storage temperature for products with a lithium-ion battery is room temperature. Heat, for example in a hot car, can strongly degrade the battery's performance and lifespan.”

Let me say one more thing, I do have a Cybook who completes now 18.5 months of age with normal reading use, sometimes one book per day, sometimes one to two books per week, and the battery is still perfectly strong.
Never recharged it bellow 40% and normally when its’ around 70%, plus the normal connecting to copy content to the reader or delete from it (so t charges that “bit”).

Once more, my advice is forget about it, it’s the first device one can forget about battery use and or death (besides normal malfunction ones, that no one can predict).

Enjoy your reader,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote