Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 11-01-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
MrWarper
Zealot
MrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it is

Device: I'm an iRex man: 8x DR1000S, 4x DR800SG, 4x DR800S
micro SDHC cards and adapters?

Hi all,

I'm considering buying a big card (16GB) for my forthcoming iRex DR1000S. Since the difference in price is almost nil, I think it's more practical to use a microSDHC card in a microSD -> SD adapter, just in case you need to plug the card somewhere else.

I have like 10 of these microSDHC cards and adapters at home, and none of them are recognized in my current DR1000S no matter what. Of course, the cards and adapters are fully functional. Anyway, all of my cards are 4 or 8GB, and my current unit still has the old v1.7 firmware (and I won't update it for a while), but I'll surely try the latest versions of everything on the new one.

So, any experiences on the limits of the DR1000S card reader, micro+adapter vs SD card types, fw version dependency, etc?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by MrWarper; 11-02-2011 at 11:32 PM.
MrWarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:36 AM   #2
andre8x8
andre8x8 began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWarper View Post
Hi all,

I'm considering buying a big card (16GB) for my forthcoming iRex DR1000S. Since the difference in price is almost nil, I think it's more practical to use a microSDHC card in a microSD -> SD adapter, just in case you need to plug the card somewhere else.
I don't have experience with a microSDHC, but I use a Kingston 32GB class 4 SD card in the DR1000 with success.
Firmware 2.0-rc3 and Mackx Patch installed.
andre8x8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
MrWarper
Zealot
MrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre8x8 View Post
I use a Kingston 32GB class 4 SD card in the DR1000 with success.Firmware 2.0-rc3 and Mackx Patch installed.
Did you format it with the DR or did you have to do that on a computer? Is the card SDHC or SDXC (SDHC = from 4GB to 32 GB; SDXC = from 32GB to 2TB)?
I just found a class 10 32GB SDXC card for $22, which is even more interesting than a class 6 16GB microSDHC for $20...

BTW I'm still interested in any experiences with microSDHC, so don't shy away guys
Old 11-02-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000s, Hanlin V5
I don't know about MicroSD adapters, but I'm sure the DR won't work with SDXC. This requires different hardware than the DR provides.
rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
andre8x8
andre8x8 began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWarper View Post
Did you format it with the DR or did you have to do that on a computer? Is the card SDHC or SDXC (SDHC = from 4GB to 32 GB; SDXC = from 32GB to 2TB)?
I didn't have to format the card on the computer or on the DR. It worked right out of the box.
The card is SDHC.
andre8x8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #6
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
I can confirm what andre8x8 says since I have the same configuration on my DR1000, see number 7 on the list by grimulkan
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48256
where more discussions can be found ....
(but I have nothing to say about the microcards)
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:56 AM   #7
MrWarper
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fekhner View Post
I can confirm what andre8x8 says since I have the same configuration on my DR1000, see number 7 on the list by grimulkan
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48256
where more discussions can be found ....
I've read it, but I had to ask anyway because the latest firmwares are at least one year newer than the last edit for that post.

Anyway, I've just been doing some tests on my 'for parts' unit (cracked screen). Judging from some short-circuit fixes on motherboard that are absent in the working one, it has slightly older hardware, but firmware v2.0rc3 on it. 4 and 8GB microSDHC in a microSDHC -> SD adapter are recognized and can be browsed, whereas they choked my work unit. Class 2 cards with lots of folders almost grind it to a halt but that's another story.

I think I'll buy another microSDHC card; if it doesn't work with the new DR I'll use it to replace smaller capacity cards that do work with the reader, and be done with it -- I don't really need everything on one card, and swapping them once in a while can't be that bad.

I'll report back in a couple of weeks, when I get the card and (hopefully) my new DR.
Thank you all!

Last edited by MrWarper; 11-03-2011 at 01:59 AM.