Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
The Dreaded Slow Page Turns Have Hit

I'm reading outside in the shade with a temp of 85 degrees (in the sun). My K3 page turns have slowed down noticeably. Prior to today, I'd not had this problem. Even going into sleep mode is slow. The 3.0.1 update was pushed to me yesterday. Hope this gets fixed soon.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
aleccj1
Techie
aleccj1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (3G + WiFi), Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I'm reading outside in the shade with a temp of 85 degrees (in the sun). My K3 page turns have slowed down noticeably. Prior to today, I'd not had this problem. Even going into sleep mode is slow. The 3.0.1 update was pushed to me yesterday. Hope this gets fixed soon.
I have a feeling it's something with the hardware. Hopefully we all get a replacement w/out the defect if it turns out to be true.
aleccj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #3
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Yikes!

Hope so too!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Oh dear The 3.0.1 update has worked well for me so far , no freezes and page turns seem faster. But it's pretty cold here in the UK right now.

I know from scouring the www that Amazon have users already testing a 3.0.2 firmware so hopefully that will come shortly.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
And me with my finger on the "buy now" button!! Keep us posted!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #6
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
For the first time I'm looking forward to the winter!

Oh, well... this is not good. I don't see how they could correct this through a firmware update, though. This seems like a hardware problem... don't the Sony pearl-screen devices suffer from the same syndrome?

Btw, mine is supposed to arrive this Friday!!!
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:39 PM   #7
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
I've been thinking about it... I'll build a case with room for an ice pack!!!
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:46 PM   #8
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I would think it would be a heat issue, since it only happens in the sunlight, but the problem didn't exist with the original firmware for me - just the 3.01.

I dunno. My only thought (which is just a wild guess) is maybe they set the CPU speed a little faster and thus it now it prone to overheating more? I believe sometimes the CPU is set to run lower than it actually can, because it saves energy that way.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #9
Dwayne_Matheson
Connoisseur
Dwayne_Matheson is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
On EEVblog http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYtuk...eature=channel he dials the temp up and down and the machine seems okay. Slower cold and faster warmed up. Check out around the 27 min mark. I wonder if he could test it a little longer for us and report back on if heat is a factor.
Dwayne_Matheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:46 PM   #10
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I have the same experience with both my 3G+WiFi and WiFi - before and after the firmware upgrade.

It is strange, as this does not occur with the Graphite DX which is said to use the same Pearl display. I've tested outside at 72F, 75F, and 80F with the same results. After about two to three minutes in the sun, the refresh rate slows considerably with inverse video (black background/white text). It slows long enough to read the first line of text. When I return indoors to a cooler environment its operation returns to normal within a minute.

There are a rash of K3 users that are apparently returning their Kindles for replacement, some with no improvement.

Rather disappointing.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:05 PM   #11
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
The members on the Amazon forum are testing all sorts of theories. Some people are so ingenious. One gentleman thought maybe a particular light wave was responsible since the slow page turns also occurred in cool sunlight.

I will say that 95F is low for maximum operating temp considering Amazon advertises outdoor reading ability. I hope this is resolved quickly.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:26 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I was in the shade and not in the sunlight when the slow page turns started so it's not the sun at all.

I'm not sure what it is. The DX has the same screen but different firmware and it's size means fewer page turns for the same amount of reading as K3.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:06 AM   #13
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I am going to Portugal for a week on Saturday. I will see how it goes.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:44 AM   #14
warp
Connoisseur
warp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
thinking about using a sunbed because its quite cold and rainy in germany, can't test whether my kindle is affected also..
warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:52 AM   #15
grzzly
Enthusiast
grzzly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Is it really that bad for you guys? I mean I have it too, but I don't really notice it that much. Maybe the page turn is a fraction of a second slower when in sunlight (haven't had the problem in warm conditions i.e. in front of a fireplace for example yet).

It's nothing that really troubles me...
grzzly is offline   Reply With Quote