Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-17-2010, 01:40 AM   #1
elgabo
elgabo doesn't litterelgabo doesn't litter

Device: kindle 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Paperwhite
[Old Thread] accent letters in spanish

Hi, I'm converting an html to mobi to read on mi kindle 2, everything show fine except the accented letter. All the accents are removed.

If I see the html in the browser show all the accents. After converting in calibre, in the internal viewer show the accents, but in the kindle all the accents not show, juste the letters, even happens with the letter ñ

Any suggestions
Gabo
elgabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Presumably, your Kindle doesn't have support for unicode characters.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
LARdT
The LARdT of E-Books
LARdT began at the beginning.

Device: HANLIN V3ext (Papyre 6.1)
Some versions of LIT and MOBI parsers in PAPYRE do not have support for characters over character number 128 so áéíóú and ñ and ¿ (and uppercase) are not supported. Probably is the same problem.
LARdT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
elgabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Presumably, your Kindle doesn't have support for unicode characters.

K2 international umm let me see...

no, i have a recipe for a local newspaper and it show the accents letter

Any other place where I can check?

Gabo

EDIT: my fault i'm using texmate as intermediate editor and found some problems with utf8 compose character

Thanks for your help

Last edited by elgabo; 02-17-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:14 AM   #5
LARdT
The LARdT of E-Books
LARdT began at the beginning.

Device: HANLIN V3ext (Papyre 6.1)
"The east-european accented characters are not displayed properly in Adobe based parsers (used in most eInk based readers) unless the font is not embedded in the epub. Unless Adobe does not change its parser, along with the ones in the devices, it would be nice to have the font embeddig possibility."

Found this comment related to a SIGIL enhacement request: adding the posibility of embedding fonts in ePUB CSS styles because of the former.

Try a document with a "System" font such as ARIAL, TIMES NEW ROMAN, etc..

and another one with an "exotic" font to see what happens.
LARdT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2010, 04:34 AM   #6
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgabo View Post
K2 international umm let me see...

no, i have a recipe for a local newspaper and it show the accents letter

Any other place where I can check?

Gabo

EDIT: my fault i'm using texmate as intermediate editor and found some problems with utf8 compose character

Thanks for your help
What is the encoding of the original html file?
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:56 PM   #7
elgabo

UTF-8

But I found that was my workflow from pdf to mobi, I use textmate to paste the text and multimarkdown to format, later transform to html and load with calibre.

For some reason some text I pasted to textmate the accent letters get screw

Thanks for your help
Gabo
Old 01-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #8
Dariarb
Enthusiast
Dariarb will become famous soon enoughDariarb will become famous soon enoughDariarb will become famous soon enoughDariarb will become famous soon enoughDariarb will become famous soon enoughDariarb will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-650
I have a question. How the files in the Calibre library do not accept the accents and the "eñe"? How a file named "El Niño", for example, Calibre named the file "El Nino"? Thanks.
Dariarb is offline   Reply With Quote