Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
chiefwili
chiefwili began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-700
Sony, if you're listening

My rant for the new year is directed at Sony for its shortsightedness when it comes to their prs900's market strategy. With just a few tweaks the prs900 could be the iphone of the electronic reader world, leaving behind all comers. How so? Sony needs to remember that unlike Amazon and B & N, they are in the business of selling electronic devices and not books. The greatest resistance to buying any ereader comes from paying for a device that still requires purchasing books. The easier, cheaper and more available Sony makes acquiring ebooks the more desirable over other devices the prs900 becomes. Its ability to use a greater number of formats has been a strong selling point, especially since abandoning BBeB in favor of EPub, but now Sony needs to take the next step towards openness by providing internet browsing capability beyond just the Sony Store. Allowing access through WiFi to vast collections of ebooks and RSS feeds (many of which are free) only makes the purchasing decision more of a slam dunk in Sony's favor. Let's get real, making available paid subscriptions to dailies (WSJ) only sells subscriptions not more devices. While I have your ear why not also give serious consideration to abandoning the less than notable Reader Library software and purchasing Calibre. Anyone with a reader that isn't using Calibre simply hasn't discovered it yet or its RSS features. Having Reader Library load automatically doesn't make it the software of choice. Just one guy's opinion.
chiefwili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
Spectrum
Zealot
Spectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad 1 and iPad 4, KF HD 8.9"
Welcome to the forum!

Brilliant! I hope Sony listens to you.
Simply letting wifi and RSS features will make me buy one immediately.
Hope it in PRS-1000 model?
How about 9 or 10 inch screens to go with it?
It will start biting netbook market!
Spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
dhiru
Connoisseur
dhiru began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, Irex iliad, sony prs950, kindle Dx, Ipad
yes sony needs to free the capabilities of its reader other wise they are going to loose this battle too despite being early adapter of this technology as they did with sony ericsson and p800. they are reactive and not proactive. they are providing features only when others are providing it. if they can provide following features they can be winner-
1. any programme like calibre on reader itself so i dont have to depend on computer.
2. wi-fi and 3g without any restriction.
3. good pdf support with suitable size of screen.
4. no geographical restrictions.
sony can not become number1 just by talking they need to provide breakthrough features as iphone did and now almost all phones are just following it.
dhiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:35 PM   #4
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
They probably would need to restrict 3g access since they aren't a telecommunication business and have to pay someone for data usage. Either that or pass that over to the consumer in terms of a subscription. I doubt that Sony likes geographic restrictions, I'm guessing that has to do more with the restrictions set by publishers. Like the region code on DVD's. Just my guess.

Sony should definitely need to improve their software.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:40 PM   #5
dhiru
Connoisseur
dhiru began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, Irex iliad, sony prs950, kindle Dx, Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
They probably would need to restrict 3g access since they aren't a telecommunication business and have to pay someone for data usage. Either that or pass that over to the consumer in terms of a subscription. I doubt that Sony likes geographic restrictions, I'm guessing that has to do more with the restrictions set by publishers. Like the region code on DVD's. Just my guess.

in countries where they do not have any telecom partners, user should be allowed to choose their service providers off course on payment.
dhiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 04:24 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefwili View Post
With just a few tweaks the prs900 could be the iphone of the electronic reader world
You mean ludicrously expensive, with so many gimmicks added that it overwhelms the primary purpose of the device, which is to make telephone calls?

No thanks. I want a telephone which concentrates on making telephone calls, and a book reader which concentrates on reading books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:49 AM   #7
farmersteve
farmersteve began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You mean ludicrously expensive, with so many gimmicks added that it overwhelms the primary purpose of the device, which is to make telephone calls?

No thanks. I want a telephone which concentrates on making telephone calls, and a book reader which concentrates on reading books.
couldnt agree more Harry what next mobile phones with cameras https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ima...lies/smile.gif
farmersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:17 AM   #8
NeilHawkes
NeilHawkes began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post

Surely they could use their Sony/Ericsson connections to develop this?
NeilHawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:15 AM   #9
Yottie
Yottie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Having Sony LICENSE Calibre would have some merits,if only so that we could dispense with Adobe DE and the Sony e Reader software completely...however, Kovid and the team do a great job of responding to their users, and developing something that truly enhances our experience, and I would hate to see this destroyed by the corporate interference that would no doubt result from too close a relationship with Sony.

Also, my next reading device (or one owned by another member of my family) might not be a Sony. I would like to be able to retain the same library management across whatever platforms we happen to own. That would be harder if Calibre were tied to a specific device.
Yottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:24 AM   #10
Hogan
Zealot
Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Motorola Xoom
Opening up the wifi would be a excellent move. It would give users access to a whole range of content without the need for a computer. I really dont understand why they have to restrict the wifi anyway. Maybe they want me to buy all my books from the Sony store but that just isnt going to happen anyway.
Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yottie View Post
Having Sony LICENSE Calibre would have some merits
If Sony licensed Calibre, then Calibre would have to have DRM support added in.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:03 AM   #12
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini - Main Reader (iPad 3 backup, iPhone 4s back to my backup)
Does the 900 already incorporate wifi I thought it only had 3G?
trevgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:08 AM   #13
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Quote:

I have to agree, and I'm a real tech head that loves having email, web, etc... wherever I go. An iPhone, BlackBerry, or Android phone is for that access, not an eBook reader.

Unrestricted WiFi and 3G? Think about this for a moment. The web is a media rich environment, and as such it has items that are refreshing constantly. Each refresh is a page turn. Translation: decrease in battery life.

Here's another thing to think about. Amazon, B&N, and Sony are in the business of selling books for their respective eReaders; if you're browsing the web, you're not reading a book, thus not likely to purchase another one any quicker.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #14
Spectrum
Zealot
Spectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad 1 and iPad 4, KF HD 8.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainring View Post
I have to agree, and I'm a real tech head that loves having email, web, etc... wherever I go. An iPhone, BlackBerry, or Android phone is for that access, not an eBook reader.

Unrestricted WiFi and 3G? Think about this for a moment. The web is a media rich environment, and as such it has items that are refreshing constantly. Each refresh is a page turn. Translation: decrease in battery life.

Here's another thing to think about. Amazon, B&N, and Sony are in the business of selling books for their respective eReaders; if you're browsing the web, you're not reading a book, thus not likely to purchase another one any quicker.

We are not talking a single model with all the features.

They can have:

(1) Basic reader
(2) Advanced reader with wifi and rss capable
(3) Ubergeek model with wifi, 3g, camera
(4) crazy model that has the above and portable ps3
(5) add you own configuration..

In this era of globalization, any geo restriction does not make sense.

Happy New Year!
Spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:47 AM   #15
bookwormfjl
Book Junkie
bookwormfjl has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505; Cybook Gen 3; Kindle 1; Kindle 2; Kindle DX; Nook
Quote:

I'm with you on that, Harry
bookwormfjl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
open internet